• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Staying 20 mins away

if you want to get a true picture of how long it will take you, use a GPS/ MAP app. If you are going to be there, on say a Thursday, use a Thursday or two for a sample. Get up early on Thursday and plug your friends address and the park in to the app. See how long it says it will take you. Yes, every day is different due to accidents, weather, etc, but it will give you a better idea of what you are really dealing with. You can also use WAZE and put in a planned trip. It will show you what the typical traffic flow looks like. For example if I put in SNA to the park, I can see that 7am it might be 20 minutes, but at 8:30am it might be 40 minutes. You can put in what time you want to arrive and it will tell you what time they suggest you leave.

I second (third?) the Waze recommendation. Absolutely the best app for Southern CA traffic navigation (except for when it tried to take you through sketchy neighborhoods in LA).

I would leave 2 hours prior to opening if you want to be inside at opening. We’ve lived 20 minutes away with no traffic my entire life. Over the last 5-ish years it’s gotten to the point of taking 90+ minutes front door to front gate. We spend about half of that time from getting in the vehicle line to enter the garage to the front gate.

I’ll try to get the address ASAP so you can advise based on the location!

Ok my husband said Hacienda Heights? Does that ring a bell to anyone?

Becky

So I live in La Habra (which is on the South side of the mountain/hill you'll have to drive over) and it's 15-20 minutes from my house. You'll probably be directed to take Hacienda Hts Rd to Whittier, then across to Idaho (maybe Euclid) which eventually will take you to Brookhurst down to the 5 (then only 5 minutes on the 5). I'd guess at least 1/2 hr if you want to arrive at the Mickey and Friends parking structure for park opening. Remember to add time to park and then take the tram to the DLR. Like others said, use Waze or Google Maps to help direct you around the traffic. Since you're on surface streets it shouldn't be too much longer during rush hour. However, remember IF you end up taking Hacienda Hts Rd...it's a single winding lane over the mountain/hill. Both Brookhurst and Magnolia (which are the two options to get to the 5) will have traffic as it approaches the 91 (that'll cost you about 5 extra minutes in the morning). The other option would be to take the 60 East to the 57 South (but I can't imagine that would save you any time in the morning as the 57 can be bad - that's with the traffic flow in the morning).

For what it's worth, if you leave around 6 or 6:30AM from Hacienda Heights, you'd probably get there by 7 or 7:30 at the latest. I live 60 miles away roughly. If I leave before 6AM, I get there by 7AM no problem. If I leave at 6:30 or later, I don't get there until 8:30 or 9. A few minutes difference in leaving time makes a huge difference on arrival.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter