Staying at GC on the 16th

bunninose

Native So Cal Gal
Thanks to careful planning over a year ago :cool1: we are staying at the GC on the 16th (with DH and our 3.5yo DS - all premium AP's) and we've got some questions. We're just staying the one night, but plan to spend both full and complete days at the resort, soaking in all the festivities.
  • How early can we check in?
  • Where should we park on Saturday morning? Can we park at the hotel or should we go to the structure since we probably can't check in THAT early?
  • When can we use the hotel facilities (pool, etc)?
  • Any extry special things going on for GC guests that anyone knows of?
  • Any extra perk for staying on property - or is it going to be a free-for-all at the main gate to get in?
  • Is there going to be a special gate for resort guests maybe??
  • Does anyone know the schedule of events yet? What time something is happening where?
I know I have other questions, but I can't think of them at the moment, so any other info anyone has to improve our stay would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks much!

You can check in early, but your room may not be ready until 3 or 4pm.

You can use the pools and enjoy the resort immediately, just pack a day bag so you have swimsuits, etc. Towels are by the pool.

If you are checking in, they will know, so park at the resort.

CA has it's own gate into the park and downtown disney..very easy.

bunninose said:
Thanks to careful planning over a year ago :cool1: we are staying at the GC on the 16th (with DH and our 3.5yo DS - all premium AP's) and we've got some questions. We're just staying the one night, but plan to spend both full and complete days at the resort, soaking in all the festivities.

• Check-in is at 3pm, but you can pre-register as soon as you arrive at the hotel.
    [*]Where should we park on Saturday morning? Can we park at the hotel or should we go to the structure since we probably can't check in THAT early?
    I recommend that you drive to the hotel entrance to unload your car (if you wish) and pre-register. You will get a slip to put on your dashboard that will let you park in the self-parking lot across the street from the Grand Californian Hotel.
    [*]When can we use the hotel facilities (pool, etc)?
    As soon as you check in, even if it is before the official time. There are restrooms off of the main lobby where you can do a quick change.
    [*]Any extry special things going on for GC guests that anyone knows of?
    I haven't heard anything.
    [*]Any extra perk for staying on property - or is it going to be a free-for-all at the main gate to get in?
    Bring your riot gear :) .... My understanding is that as the park reaches capacity, DLR hotel guests will have priority entry. I do not know how DL is going to handle that.
    [*]Is there going to be a special gate for resort guests maybe??
    We'll find out. That's not a bad idea, no matter how us locals may not appreciate it.
    [*]Does anyone know the schedule of events yet? What time something is happening where?
My understanding is that at 10am there is going to be a dedication ceremony. -em and other regulars are more up-to-date on this than I am.

Thanks much for the guidance!! We'll definitely park at the Hotel and pack our suits in a backpack as my 3yo can't wait to swim at Mickey's House :earboy2: ! Nice to hear they have towels at the pool - didn't even think of that angle (can you tell we're of the Motel 6 breed :rotfl2: ).

Any other hints or words of wisdom are greatly appreciated as well!!

bunninose said:

• We're staying for the weekend (Friday - Sunday).

From what they told me, you can actually call the day before and pre-register. I'm not entirely sure what this means. However ... you can get there very early, as others have said, and check-in, but your room probably will not be ready until the afternoon.
  • Where should we park on Saturday morning? Can we park at the hotel or should we go to the structure since we probably can't check in THAT early?

You will be able to use the GCH self-park area.

• Any extra perk for staying on property - or is it going to be a free-for-all at the main gate to get in?

We've read different things about this, but the truth is nothing is for sure yet. Apparently, DLR hotel guests will have priority entry and re-entry, but no real word on what that means.
  • Does anyone know the schedule of events yet? What time something is happening where?

I've heard about the 10 AM ceremony and a 4:30 broadcast of Walt's original dedication speech.

I also just read a press release which said someting about 'day long events" but did not discuss aything other than the re-dedication ceremony.

Have fun!

We stayed at GC when we went to DL. It was a beautiful resort. You have a special entrance to DTD from the hotel as well as a special entrance to DCA. Make sure if you use this entrance that you have your room key. They will check it.

Also, I believe it's twice a day, but by the fireplace in the lobby, they have Storytellers Time. If you ask at the front desk, they will let you know what times it will be. One of the CMs sit down and tell a story. We sat through one and it was very entertaining.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter