Staying at POR and ? about pool...

momofoneplustwins

Earning My Ears
I have a feeling I'm going to get "left" at the resort later in the day while dh goes back to see the parks. I know at least one night cause he's the only one that wants to do Tower of Terror. I have three boys (6,6, &9) who do not know how to swim. I'm wondering how difficult it would be to try and take them to the pool at POR by myself. I'm not familiar with this pool setup, depth, etc... Any suggestions are welcome.:)

The POR pool is set up well for families. If you can generally control your boys, you shouldn't have any problems. The lifeguards are among the best I've run across as well. (They were doing training sessions when we were there a couple times ago and it was hard work for them.) In addition to their safety expertise, if the pool has lots of kids, they'll engage them in pool games (many of which don't require swimming ability).

There are two areas that are shallower with steps to go in. They do connect to the deeper areas of the pool, but you should be able to say "go no farther than this lifeguard stand" to give your boys a line. They'll have plenty of play room. The part with the slide is in one of those shallow areas, so they should be able to enjoy the slide, too.

There are also quiet pools around POR; we've never used them because my DD loves the slide and the fountains at the big pool.

I have only one child, a girl, and she and I are often pool visiting on our own. It's probably not the same as 3 boys, but . . .

Enjoy yourself!

Oh, I forgot to say that you can get life vests for your kids. The 6 year olds would probably wear them for you; 9 might be insulted. You get them at the marina and normally have them for your entire stay.

There is no charge for the life vests. I'm not sure what information they require from you. (We were at POFQ last time we needed a life vest; haven't needed them at POR.) I always hear the staff at check in tell people to go to the marina to check out life vests.

When we've been at POR, the lifeguards have brought out balls and noodles for the kids to play with. We've also brought our own balls. Many kids have arm floaties, too. I'm not sure if you're really "allowed" to bring your own stuff, but if it doesn't get out of hand, the lifeguards allow it. (One time, a group of people who were old enough to know better were throwing a ball around pretty hard. Splashing people and they hit one unsuspecting swimmer. The life guards told them to cool it (but they're so polite about it!).

Hope someone can help you on the life vest question.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter