• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Staying @ Hard Rock Hotel, Portofino Bay Resort, or Royal Pacific Resort? Start here!

Just made our final payment on our trip October 26 - November 2nd. HHN and Hard Rock Hotel here we come!

Please excuse me for not reading all the pages in this thread. My (adult) daughter & I are going to RPR, standard (cheapest) room in October. Do we need to request an area in the hotel? I've read about the "towers" - is there anywhere that I can see pictures of the towers and/or floor plans? Are there any terrible rooms?

Thanks

So excited - just booked HRH Deluxe 2 Queen Room for 10 nights -
July 22- August 1, 2014!

We are doing a Universal/IOA, Sea World/Discovery Cover/Aquatica/Wet and Wild vacation! Our first time ever NOT doing Disney. Kids are getting older and just need a year break. They are really excited about being able to sleep in more with the express pass - teenagers!

We just had a really bad two day stay at Portofino Bay. It started at check in and got worse. We did check in early but the person who checked us in assured me that they would have a room ready in a couple of hours at the most. Six hours later I call the hotel and very nicely ask what the status is on our room. The woman very nastily said to me " You KNOW check in is NOT until 4:30. I again nicely explained that I was going by what the man had said to me at check in.

We finally get our room assignment and go back to the hotel. We are staying club level which we are paying a pretty penny for. We find that there is no fridge just a filled mini bar that if you even open it to put your stuff in you are charged and there is a 14.95 dollar a night charge for wifi. Really at club level they are nickle and diming us

We then go down to the club. I have a walking issue due to my back and I do smoke. I asked the concierge where was the closest place to my room that I could go and smoke and explained the situation. She looks at a resort map and then at me and says :I don't know". Umm they don't know their own resort?

We get on the boat and the captain does not tell me where to go with my wheelchair and then yells at me that I have parked it on an unreinforced hatch and to move it immediately. We decide to take the shuttle one time. The guy gets me and the wheelchair into the shuttle and ties me in. Well I am unsure how exactly he did it but I was sliding all over the back of the shuttle and almost turned over once. When we got to IOA I told the guy what was going on and he says"You SHOULD have put on your brake" To which I said "Electric wheelchairs do not have brakes".

Our second night we went to Trattoria Del Porto for dinner. It took an hour to get our dinners even though there were only 4 other people in the restaurant. By the time dinner came mine was ice cold and I bit into a huge piece of lemon peel. My husband and kids remarked that the food wasn't any better than theme park food really and for this we paid 100.00 with tip and this was with my dinner being taken off.

We decide to go to the club lounge for dessert. The club was not due to close for another half hour. My 19 year old was ahead of us and went in. He was handed a couple of cookies and walked out of the lounge just as we walked up on it. The guy shoves the plate at us and says "This is all that's left". My husband takes the 3 cookies and says thank you. The guy then proceeds to stand directly in the doorway so that we cannot enter. There were still people in there and we were dressed correctly. I was so taken aback that we just walked away. We had wanted to get coffee for then and a couple of waters for during the night. I couldn't really say anything till we got half way back to our room I was so flabbergasted. I said to dh "Were we just barred from the club lounge that we are paying for". He said "Yep we were". I called the manager from our room and he did give us a club level discount but really since we had originally changed from a 209. a night rate at the Royal Pacific when we changed to the 381. a night rate at Portofino Bay it really was not enough.

Then we go to check out and there is a huge line. I asked the concierge if we had to stand in that line and she says yes. I get in line and wait and wait and wait. My son then comes up to me and says " Mom did you not know you could check out by phone or by computer?" I said "No how do you know that?" He says "There is a little sign over there". I was so mad that the concierge did not tell me that was an option and I was made to stand in line for a half hour.

Then to add insult to injury we go out to get our car and of course there is a 36.00 charge to retrieve it even though we are club level and we self parked it.

Both dh and I said NEVER AGAIN. We were made to feel very awkward and like we didn't belong there the whole time on top of everything else.

Now I am used to Disney who does not try and suck every penny they can out of you and to the amenities you get staying at Disney even if you are not club level. I just feel that if you are paying that kind of money you should not be hit up to pay extra for things and that you should be treated a lot better than we were.

I told dh yesterday it would be in their best interest not to send me a satisfaction survey. Guess what I got today? Yep. I was not nasty but I did tell them point blank how I felt.

Please do not flame me as this was our experience and our opinion and may not be the experience or opinion of others. I just thought others might like to know of our experience before they made a decision.

I am fuming right now. I just checked my bank account, The two charges for PBH are still pending as is the bill for dinner. The tip amount for the waiter of 17.00 has dropped off but then I notice that a charge for 63.90 has been authorized and paid to PBH!! I authorized 17.00 dollars to the waiter and if this is not the tip then what the heck is it? When I left I was given a copy of the bill which showed a 200.00 credit. I cannot wait for PBH to open so I can find out what the heck this is. I am so angry it is not funny.

I found out what the charge was after getting basically no help from PBH management. Again it was a mess up on the resorts part for not telling us which gate and how to correctly check out of self parking. We were charged the visitors rate and were charged for 3 days not the 2 we were there. I let the parking manager know just how angry I was and how this was the their fault and not ours. He agreed that they really messed up and agreed to write off the entire charge and not just the amount over what should have been charged.

@karriealex

I'm sorry you had such a hard time but I'm curious about something. If you stay club level you don't have to pay for parking?

@karriealex

I'm sorry you had such a hard time but I'm curious about something. If you stay club level you don't have to pay for parking?

Yes you still do have to pay for parking when you are at club level which I totally feel is ridiculous but they failed to give us any information on how to get our car out and caused us to be charged for 3 days not 2 and at a much higher rate.

I called PBH this morning, asked for Front Desk and spoke with Guest Services. I asked whether the Deluxe 2 Queen rooms still offered sofa beds and was told "no, they do not". To confirm I asked whether having a fifth person in the room would now require a roll-away bed in all cases and was told "yes, it would".:(

That stinks for my family - let's hope the Hard Rock doesn't follow suit!

Hi there. I am here right now with my family of five and we are in building 2, 6th floor suite and it has a sofa bed. My ds also said the bed is very comfortable :).

So far we are having an excellent time. We love, love, love the express passes and the child swap. The only issue is the internet range stinks and we have zero luck with the hand held devices but my laptop is no problem. I forgot about the "bring a router" tip I read months ago. Next time we will :).

Hi there. I am here right now with my family of five and we are in building 2, 6th floor suite and it has a sofa bed. My ds also said the bed is very comfortable :).

So far we are having an excellent time. We love, love, love the express passes and the child swap. The only issue is the internet range stinks and we have zero luck with the hand held devices but my laptop is no problem. I forgot about the "bring a router" tip I read months ago. Next time we will :).

Is the sofa bed in the same room as the 2 queen beds? That's what the front desk is saying no longer exists. The deluxe 2 queen rooms used to have a sofa bed in them.

Is the sofa bed in the same room as the 2 queen beds? That's what the front desk is saying no longer exists. The deluxe 2 queen rooms used to have a sofa bed in them.

Yes, the two queens are first then the sofa bed by the window. Maybe only some of the rooms now have sofa beds? We booked the 2 queen deluxe with club. I am very very happy, I came with an air mattress and it is nicely stored in the closet :).

Yes, the two queens are first then the sofa bed by the window. Maybe only some of the rooms now have sofa beds? We booked the 2 queen deluxe with club. I am very very happy, I came with an air mattress and it is nicely stored in the closet :).

Can you write down the room number and then post it when you get home so that people who really want the room with the pullout will know exactly which room to request?

That's great news and thanks for letting everyone know!

Can you write down the room number and then post it when you get home so that people who really want the room with the pullout will know exactly which room to request?

Sure, I will post a few pictures as well.

We were in 2664. It was a great room. The location was sort of between the pool and club lounge so an excellent room for our family of 5. I will post a pic after I get organized, just got home today :).

I spoke with the General Manger of Lowe's assistant about what happened during our trip. I do have to say all she kept saying was OH MY, OH MY, OH MY, while I recanted what had gone on. She is getting with every department involved and they will be doing a retrain so that what happened to us doesn't happen to anyone else. We had already decided we were never going to stay there again but she asked us to reconsider and allow them to try again with us by comping us. I did not expect for them to do this. I was very hesitant when she suggested it but finally agreed we would try it again. I did however tell her this was their last chance with us and should the same things happen we will never ever return. She thanked me for bringing what happened to us to her attention. She said a lot of people would have just not said anything and never returned and not given them the chance to fix things.

Is there somewhere at the HRH you can leave your luggage for the day once you've checked out?

Fab, thank you. How late can you pick it back up?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

i have used the valet service to hold my luggage until i left for my ride to the airport.

the latest i have done that was 7:30 pm.

Your post says that you booked the 2 queen deluxe with club. I just booked club level (7th floor) and they told me that all rooms on that level are like the 2 queen standard and there are no deluxe rooms on that floor. I called the hotel directly to ask that question as I really wanted the deluxe room configuration for a bit more room, but still wanted club as well. Did you have the option of booking a deluxe on a floor other than 7 and then purchase the club option separately?

Your post says that you booked the 2 queen deluxe with club. I just booked club level (7th floor) and they told me that all rooms on that level are like the 2 queen standard and there are no deluxe rooms on that floor. I called the hotel directly to ask that question as I really wanted the deluxe room configuration for a bit more room, but still wanted club as well. Did you have the option of booking a deluxe on a floor other than 7 and then purchase the club option separately?

I was also told there are no club level rooms that have a daybed at all yet someone here said they had one,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter