Staying off site with 2 rented scooters - possible?

todd222222

Mouseketeer
Hi all, looking for some help and suggestions.

Our up coming trip (march 2017) is growing and growing....we have 8 confirmed in our party with a few more possible.

We were planning on staying at Pop Century but with more than 8 we will need to get 3 rooms and renting a house off property is starting to sound like a good idea.

Two in our party will need to us a scooter due to rheumatoid arthritis.

This will be our first trip to Disney World with scooters, RA has gotten progressively worse over the years.

So we were thinking about renting "portable" scooters and maybe getting a 15 passenger van to transport everyone and the scooters back and forth to the parks.

Has this worked for anyone else?
Are the portable scooters really that portable?
Do you think we can get them up and in the van?
Would there be room in the van? Not really sure of the layout of these vans.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Todd

There are different models of scooters. If you can rent the lightweight models you should be ok. An example is the Pride go go. You can take the portable travel scooters apart which will help them fit into the van. Also, it will make it lighter and easier to get in when it's broken down to 4 or 5 pieces per scooter. You can try to do the whole scooter on and off, but you are talking about 100 pounds per scooter and that's the lightweight model.

I'm not sure how the seats are in a 15 passenger van; so, I would go to any rental place and check them out. Then, you will know which one to get which will work best.

Portable one we rented a few years ago had no instructions on how to disassemble and it was so heavy, I can't imagine we would be able to lift the heaviest parts easily. You should discuss details with the company you chose.

you might want to see if the rental company can take out the last row of sets this will give you more room but I think if you get a light weight scooter then it could work

Just a heads up - be sure to create a plan to deal with the airports for your scooter people.

TSA lines (depending on the airport) can be stupidly long, and if they are unable to stand for long periods of time, this may be an issue.

If you have a layover (or two) then you will want to plan accordingly for that as well.

TSA Pre-Check can help speed you through the lines, but according to the TSA website you have to start the application process between 3 & 4 weeks prior to travel.

Hi all, looking for some help and suggestions.

Our up coming trip (march 2017) is growing and growing....we have 8 confirmed in our party with a few more possible.

We were planning on staying at Pop Century but with more than 8 we will need to get 3 rooms and renting a house off property is starting to sound like a good idea.

Two in our party will need to us a scooter due to rheumatoid arthritis.

This will be our first trip to Disney World with scooters, RA has gotten progressively worse over the years.

So we were thinking about renting "portable" scooters and maybe getting a 15 passenger van to transport everyone and the scooters back and forth to the parks.

Has this worked for anyone else?
Are the portable scooters really that portable?
Do you think we can get them up and in the van?
Would there be room in the van? Not really sure of the layout of these vans.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Todd
has anyone in your party ever driven a 15 passenger van? if not I would try one out before you get to Disney. most 15 vans would not have room behind last seat for scooters unless you are allowed to take last seat out. the climbing in and out of the van could be hard on those with RA. seating is usually 4 in last row 3 in other rows with driver and one other person in front row. there would not be much room for suitcases to and from airport behind last seat. yes off site begins to sound better but plan on how to get everyone to house and then to parks. as I said I would find an 15 passenger van to try out before you decide and make sure it will work for you group.

The other thing to think about is coming and going to the parks.
If you are staying off site and all traveling in one vehicle, everyone needs to come and go at the same time.

You would have more flexibility staying on site. If some want to sleep in, swim in the morning while the rest are at the park, or stay later - no problem; they would have bus transportation whenever they want to travel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter