Staying with another family DiningPlan, MBs and FP questions...

Disw4kids

Earning My Ears
Need HELP figuring out this pickle of a problem!
We are staying for a week, and our friends were planning on joining us for 3 of the 7 nights. So we put them on our room reservation, and booked all of our FP 60 days prior to our trip. (Tickets were bought through a 3rd party and linked to MDE) My husband really wants the dining plan, but we just realized that we can't get dining plan for just us, and it wouldn't be worth it for our friends since they are only there for a few days. My question is, if I drop them from our room and the get another room (probably off property), would they lose their FP we booked together? Thinking that they would stay, as the tickets aren't linked to the room. Thoughts from you pros out there?!?!

We used the dining plan at WDW this past February, and I thought it was a good deal for our group of 7 with kids/teenagers that eat a lot of food. So I’m not sure exactly what you mean about you can’t get the dining plan for just you (are you worried it’s too much food or is the cost too much?), but I can explain how Disney charges for it per person. It’s calculated by how many nights you stay if you’ll be on property, so if they stay two nights you should get two days on your dining plan. If you wanted to get the dining plan just for your friends staying with you, you can, but only if they’ll be staying on property. If you stay at another room off property, I don’t think you’ll be able to purchase a dining plan. As for the Fast Passes, I’m not entirely sure if the Fast Passes you booked at 60 days would be cancelled or not, one thing that might allow you to keep them (I’m not sure about this just guessing) is if you cancel the room at/after the 30 day mark when guests staying off property can book them. This is just what I assume would happen, but for questions about the dining plan and fast pass specifics, you might consider calling Disney Guest services. They have really helpful customer support people that can help you with any questions. Good luck!

Need HELP figuring out this pickle of a problem!
We are staying for a week, and our friends were planning on joining us for 3 of the 7 nights. So we put them on our room reservation, and booked all of our FP 60 days prior to our trip. (Tickets were bought through a 3rd party and linked to MDE) My husband really wants the dining plan, but we just realized that we can't get dining plan for just us, and it wouldn't be worth it for our friends since they are only there for a few days. My question is, if I drop them from our room and the get another room (probably off property), would they lose their FP we booked together? Thinking that they would stay, as the tickets aren't linked to the room. Thoughts from you pros out there?!?!

As I understand the dining plan you can only book it for people staying in your room for the amount of days they'll be there.
Thus if you are there for 7 days and your friends are there for 3 days the cost will include your friends' 3 days plus your 7. In essence they will not be charged for the plan when they are not there.

Done dining plan several times but never with extra people staying in our room part of the time:).

The dining plan is all or nothing. You can’t have people on for part of the reservation. You have to run the numbers and see what is less expensive-paying for a second hotel room or paying for extra dining credits. Anyone can use the credits.

If you move them offsite under 30 days before the trip the FP+ should remain.

I thought you could take them off the reservation, buy the dining plan for just the folks still on the reservation, then at checkin (or the day they arrive) add the others to your reservation at the front desk and not have to buy the dining plan for them. I’ve done someth8ng similar, but not exactly.

And as long as they have tickets and are friends and family with you they should not have any problems with fast passes.

The dining plan is all or nothing. You can’t have people on for part of the reservation. You have to run the numbers and see what is less expensive-paying for a second hotel room or paying for extra dining credits. Anyone can use the credits.

If you move them offsite under 30 days before the trip the FP+ should remain.
Ok, that's what I was thinking. I'm truly not trying to scam the system, but just want to know if I can make this all work somehow. Our friends don't mind staying off property, but I would feel bad if they lost all their FP. Thanks for your input!

I thought you could take them off the reservation, buy the dining plan for just the folks still on the reservation, then at checkin (or the day they arrive) add the others to your reservation at the front desk and not have to buy the dining plan for them. I’ve done someth8ng similar, but not exactly.

And as long as they have tickets and are friends and family with you they should not have any problems with fast passes.
Thanks for your response! This is what I was wondering about. I feel like we messed this one up, and I'm just trying to fix it! Our friends don't mind getting a room off property, but since we already booked FP together, I would hate for them to have them all taken away. Was thinking that since I booked the FP and they are Friends and Family we would be ok, but I have never done that before. My husband is just all about that dining plan! :)

Ok, that's what I was thinking. I'm truly not trying to scam the system, but just want to know if I can make this all work somehow. Our friends don't mind staying off property, but I would feel bad if they lost all their FP. Thanks for your input!

@momto3pirates is correct -- the Dining Plan is an all-or-none option. Everybody on the reservation gets it for the full length of stay, or nobody gets it.

You don't mention how many and ages in either family, but if you keep the other family on your reservation and add the DDP, your family can use the "extra" credits for signature dining, extra snacks, etc.

Or you can remove the other family from your reservation and add the DDP for just your family. Since tickets were purchased separately, it shouldn't impact any FP+ already booked. If your friends are arriving after you, you can add them back to the reservation once you arrive.

Keep in mind the extra fee per adult for more than 2 in the room.

Enjoy your vacation!

As I understand the dining plan you can only book it for people staying in your room for the amount of days they'll be there.
Thus if you are there for 7 days and your friends are there for 3 days the cost will include your friends' 3 days plus your 7. In essence they will not be charged for the plan when they are not there.

Done dining plan several times but never with extra people staying in our room part of the time:).
No, that's incorrect. It must be purchased for every guest on the reservation for every night of the reservation. Whether they are there or not.

No, that's incorrect. It must be purchased for every guest on the reservation for every night of the reservation. Whether they are there or not.
You and lanejudy are 100% correct.
I was on the phone with DSS on another matter and asked the OP's question before the mod's response.
Sounds bizarre but it is what it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter