Stealing from stateroom doors

Don't they have cameras in the hallways? If not seems like an oversight on Disneys part.
I don't think DCL is going to scour surveillance video looking for magnet/pin thieves. When you don't know what time something was stolen, it can take a very long time to review video - especially for an item of minimal value.

Last edited:
It was another poster who posted this happening to them; but it would be a pain if it happened to me as my magnets include a large disney castle that has to be built around the porthole from many pieces. I enjoy doing it on the first day which I always feel is a “wasted day” (not many activities/crowded pools) but I would be sad if someone took it down and I had to do it on a day when I had plans. This reminds me of the thread about the cockeroach prank in the dining room. I can see how some folks find being pranked on vacation to be funny. But to others, pranks while you are trying to enjoy an expensive vacation are just not welcome. And I cannot fathom why a cruise ship guest would think it is appropriate to prank a complete stranger except MAYBE if I were cruising on April fools day.

Well now I want to see a picture of your door, it sounds awesome!

Hopefully kids that do this prank mainly focus on people they know or relatively simple doors. I guess in the grande scheme of things this just seems more on the funny side of malarkey to me rather than truly bad. I can see how it could go wrong but that can happen with even well intentioned things.

I do agree about the cockroach "prank". Using fake bugs and rodents with food is just wrong IMO. And Im glad to see that DCL agreed as well.

We've had FE gifts stolen. :( Sorry that happened to you. Bad people even on Disney ships.

We've had magnets stolen every time. Once we found them a few doors down and just reclaimed them (they were definitely ours). Seemed pretty brazen! We just go in assuming a couple will walk away.

If I report stolen items it 100% should be on them. They can easily track down and find that person on the ship.

Probably would take someone 15 to 20 mins to track down the person who stole something. I would suspect security on the ship would have to have access to review footage.
Ship/hotel video footage is for the benefit of the ship/hotel and not to protect individual travelers. Sounds harsh but very true. They are used to minimize their liability. For instance, if someone falls they want to see if the person had any culpability. They aren't going to just offer that footage up without interference from local law enforcement or a warrant. They may release footage voluntarily if they believe it relieves them of a liability. Ships are not registered in the US and do not have to follow all US laws and regulations.

This same principle holds true with HR with your employer. They are not there for your protection but for the protection of the company. This is why people are hesitant to bring complaints to HR.

Ship/hotel video footage is for the benefit of the ship/hotel and not to protect individual travelers. Sounds harsh but very true. They are used to minimize their liability. For instance, if someone falls they want to see if the person had any culpability. They aren't going to just offer that footage up without interference from local law enforcement or a warrant. They may release footage voluntarily if they believe it relieves them of a liability. Ships are not registered in the US and do not have to follow all US laws and regulations.

This same principle holds true with HR with your employer. They are not there for your protection but for the protection of the company. This is why people are hesitant to bring complaints to HR.

Doesn't absolve them though its their responsibility. They can choose to be hands of all they want. Just like how they didn't do anything about the cast member being punched ("lifetime ban"). That is on Disney and we should not make excuses for them.

We've had magnets stolen every time. Once we found them a few doors down and just reclaimed them (they were definitely ours). Seemed pretty brazen! We just go in assuming a couple will walk away.
We had a magnet (a bought one, too, not a made one) appear on our door. I think it came from 2 doors down and I don't know why it was there. I asked our stateroom host if he knew of anyone missing a magnetic, but he had no idea. He also didn't seem like he wanted to be bothered about it, either. I just left it to the side of our door (not on it), in case the owners wanted to claim it, but it was never claimed. I left it there, so I doubt it found it's owner, but what do you do?

We had a magnet (a bought one, too, not a made one) appear on our door. I think it came from 2 doors down and I don't know why it was there. I asked our stateroom host if he knew of anyone missing a magnetic, but he had no idea. He also didn't seem like he wanted to be bothered about it, either. I just left it to the side of our door (not on it), in case the owners wanted to claim it, but it was never claimed. I left it there, so I doubt it found it's owner, but what do you do?
If it happens again I would take it to guest services: they have a lost and found.

If it happens again I would take it to guest services: they have a lost and found.
Oh, dang! That sounds so logical right now, lol. I kept thinking whomever it belonged to would come by and claim it. It happened on our first cruise. Nothing untoward happened on our second.

Oh, dang! That sounds so logical right now, lol. I kept thinking whomever it belonged to would come by and claim it. It happened on our first cruise. Nothing untoward happened on our second.
Not your fault--makes sense to think they might be nearby and find it. It just makes me frustrated that pranksters thing it's all good laughs--it isn't very nice to either the person you are taking the magnet from or the person you leave it with who doesn't know how to get it back to its owner.

Imagine if you put up holiday decorations on your front lawn and someone went around switching decorations around the neighborhood. I just don't get why anyone would think this is a fun idea.

To be clear I don’t find moving one magnet here and there funny at all, it is too easy to think it’s pixie dust and harder for the original owner to get it back.

The one situation I found funny was where two neighbors doors were basically switched. I would have gotten a chuckle out of it if I had come home one day to find my neighbors magnets on my door and all my magnets on their door. Especially if care had been taken to recreate the placement on each of our doors as was indicated in the original post. I couldn’t understand if you had a lot of magnets being a tiny bit irked at having to switch them back but I really don’t see a reason to be really upset about this one, specific form of magnet malarkey.

I’ve had a lot worse happen over vacations (and life!) and sometimes you just have to laugh and go with it.

I don't think DCL is going to scour surveillance video looking for magnet/pin thieves. When you don't know what time something was stolen, it can take a very long time to review video - especially for an item of minimal value.
I am only commenting on the bold part and I am not trying to say one should ask for surveillance video review for stolen pins.

You would be amazed how technology works now. I had a hit and run on my car in my company garage earlier this year. All I know was where I parked and it was a long day. Our company security team called me within 30 mins and let me know that they found the car who hit me. It was not the beginning of the day so it was not like they caught it in the first 5 mins of the video. I didn't know how they did it, but I would imagine Disney would have much better technology than my company.

I am only commenting on the bold part and I am not trying to say one should ask for surveillance video review for stolen pins.

You would be amazed how technology works now. I had a hit and run on my car in my company garage earlier this year. All I know was where I parked and it was a long day. Our company security team called me within 30 mins and let me know that they found the car who hit me. It was not the beginning of the day so it was not like they caught it in the first 5 mins of the video. I didn't know how they did it, but I would imagine Disney would have much better technology than my company.
Don't get me wrong....I owned a laundromat and was frequently required to go through surveillance video to see who took someone's laundry out of a dryer etc....I'm just saying that, if I was DCL, I wouldn't likely spend even 5 minutes looking through video to see who may have taken a pin or magnet that someone left outside their door. Then try to figure out who it is...track them down....

I agree with others who have already posted... If people start expecting DCL to do track down these pin/magnet perps, they will ban the practice in a heartbeat

We lived in a major city for the past 10 years and had sooo many amazon packages stolen off our porch (wish I could see the thieves' faces when they opened a big box only to see a jumbo box of diapers). I keep hearing people are surprised that others steal on Disney cruises because people pay so much to be there, but (1) kids and teens don't pay to be there, and it is a common thing that lots of little kids are magpies with sticky fingers--they just lack the impulse control and more of than not are left by parents to roam the ship unsupervised; (2) you don't have to be poor to be a klepto; it's just a compulsion for some people.
I got a 70 something lady stealing from mine and as I chased her down the hall she threw telling me to shut up. Room stewardesses that saw say it happens all the time but they cant do anything. If city cops wont do anything for theft a cruiseline wont. What PD do they file with?? Cant tell you how many adults I have seen stealing from the ship. Remember a ship is not a fantasy bubble. Life happens.

100% correct. I work in the security industry and people yell all the time because they left their purse unattended and it was stolen and we need to make it right.

100% correct. I work in the security industry and people yell all the time because they left their purse unattended and it was stolen and we need to make it right.
Doesn't absolve them though its their responsibility. They can choose to be hands of all they want. Just like how they didn't do anything about the cast member being punched ("lifetime ban"). That is on Disney and we should not make excuses for them.
This is not a Disney sanctioned program. If they get a lot of complaints the will prohibit the activity. I can guarantee your local police would do absolutely nothing and actually laugh. Its harsh but I work in the industry and shoplifting a $1000 wont even get you taken to jail. Put out what you dont mind losing

This is not a Disney sanctioned program. If they get a lot of complaints the will prohibit the activity. I can guarantee your local police would do absolutely nothing and actually laugh. Its harsh but I work in the industry and shoplifting a $1000 wont even get you taken to jail. Put out what you dont mind losing

The local police don't have a 24x7 video camera on my property and don't run a vacation destination. So sorry police <> Disney security practices.

On the WBTA last month we had 2 magnets stolen from our door along with some paperwork and a lithograph from our fish.

I haven't had anything stolen off of our doors yet, but I also don't put anything I'm really attached to on there either. As for FE, I have no real way to tell if anything has been stolen out of them since I don't know what all gets left for us. I have, however, found trash like candy wrappers in our FE last time. smh

I think I'll design a magnet that says "These hallways have cameras" or "Smile You're On Camera!" :wave: and add that to our door this time around.

But at the same time, we live among a generation that will take vids of themselves doing stupid crap, and post it on the Internet, or live stream themselves doing it.

Like one of the previous posters mentioned, we talked to our stateroom host on the one cruise where a few of our personalized magnets went missing. After looking up and down our hallway for them with no luck, we described the missing magnets to our stateroom host and they turned up the next day. If someone really wants to steal your magnets (or pins, or anything else) from your door, this obviously won't help recover them. But, for those things that go missing from mischief, I think this helps without making too big a deal out of it. The stateroom hosts are up and down the stateroom decks all day and night and may notice what you are missing. We could have lived without the magnets I made for that cruise, but we like having them and then bringing them home to "relive" the cruise spirit a bit. We were very thankful to our host for helping us out!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter