Step By Step - How to Add Names to an Existing Contract (Gratuitous Transfer)

At what age can you add children to a deed? 18? I've got a few years, but I'm going to want to do it as soon as I am able.

Jumping on to share our recent experience with this process. My husband and I have established a living trust and were able to use the advice of this board to create an updated deed and complete the gratuitous transfer to the trust.
  • Monday, March 6 -- Deed sent via certified mail from Virginia
  • Thursday, March 9 -- Deed received by the Orange County Comptroller
  • Monday, March 13 -- Deed recorded; emailed link to DVC Member Administration
  • Wednesday, March 15 -- Membership update confirmed by DVC
Note that DVC entered our information with a typo, so it took an additional day to correct the error and fully complete the process today. Something to keep an eye out for, as I had to send 3 clarifying emails before I was confident the update was made correctly.

We do have an active reservation that was not affected by this process, although the form DVC sent us advised to cancel any active reservations prior to submitting the updated deed.

Very appreciative for all the helpful information here that allowed us to make this update without paying an attorney!

Wow - this was really quick! I guess the folks in the "back office" have finally caught up to the backlog

Correct

My post and the previous poster who went through this since last fall outline the steps that are actually needed.
Can you share your post number with the steps you took? I've looked thru all and must have missed it.
Or do you just got to the 1st page and follow those directions, skipping step 1?
Thanks!

Not sure if you're asking about if ROFR & request to change title is not required for Gratuitous transfers. I emailed member services to confirm and this is the response:

"Good Morning,

You are correct. A Right of First refusal and request to change title form are not required for gratuitous transfers.

In order to add anyone to or remove anyone from the Membership as an Owner, you will need to work with a title company or an attorney to assist with creating and recording a new deed. Any fees charged will be based upon the company you choose to work with. There are no fees charged by Disney. Disney recommends working with the following companies:

For Properties located in Florida, California or Hawaii:
First American Title 866-505-9107 or online at www.vacationfirst.firstam.com

For Hilton Head Island:
Burr and Forman Law Offices 843-785-2171

Once the new deed(s) are recorded, they will send copies to us. We will then update our records accordingly.

Please let us know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Thank you,

Member Administration"

Hth

thank you! Going to give it a shot! How much was your cost for 2 deeds? I'm doing 2 as well... adding 1 daughter to each... so technically 2 different name combinations.
You probably already know this, but for the benefit of others reading this thread - you'll then have two memberships and won't be able to use those points together on a single reservation without transferring from one membership to the other or booking some nights with one membership and other nights with the other membership then asking MS to add a "continuing stay" notation to both reservations.

thank you! Going to give it a shot! How much was your cost for 2 deeds? I'm doing 2 as well... adding 1 daughter to each... so technically 2 different name combinations.

I can't remember at this point but basically it was postage, notary, and filing fee with comptroller.

Not that expensive.

Do we still need to submit "REQUEST TO CHANGE TITLE" as linked in 1st post or do we just go straight to changing the deed?

I started to do this maybe 2 years ago myself... I may have even sent DVD the "REQUEST TO CHANGE TITLE" and never followed through because I was afraid I'd screw it up or it would screw up my reservations.

Can anyone confirm if needed?

Thanks

Do we still need to submit "REQUEST TO CHANGE TITLE" as linked in 1st post or do we just go straight to changing the deed?

I started to do this maybe 2 years ago myself... I may have even sent DVD the "REQUEST TO CHANGE TITLE" and never followed through because I was afraid I'd screw it up or it would screw up my reservations.

Can anyone confirm if needed?

Thanks
No you don't need to.

ETA: scroll up and read post #333

Hello everyone-Any update to the amount of check required?
*Your check should be made to Orange County Controller. You will need an amount consisting of .70 for the doc stamp, 18.50 for a 2 pg. deed (10.00 for the first page, 8.50 for each additional page), and $1.00 per name for the total number of names over 4. In my case I had 2 grantors and 5 grantees for a total of 7. So an additional $3 for a total of $22.20. Interesting sidebar: The OCC is allowed to accept a check for up to $10 over the amount owed. If you are unsure or want to make sure you don't get your paperwork returned for insufficient payment - include a few dollars more

Hello everyone-Any update to the amount of check required?
*Your check should be made to Orange County Controller. You will need an amount consisting of .70 for the doc stamp, 18.50 for a 2 pg. deed (10.00 for the first page, 8.50 for each additional page), and $1.00 per name for the total number of names over 4. In my case I had 2 grantors and 5 grantees for a total of 7. So an additional $3 for a total of $22.20. Interesting sidebar: The OCC is allowed to accept a check for up to $10 over the amount owed. If you are unsure or want to make sure you don't get your paperwork returned for insufficient payment - include a few dollars more
https://www.occompt.com/download/OR Forms/Service-Fees.pdf

Per the current fee schedule on the OCC site, those are still the fees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter