• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Still able to upgrade AP's on DVC discount?

Lora

DIS Veteran
We'll have about 15 days left on our AP's when we arrive in a couple weeks. I want to use what I've learned here about upgrading to the PAP using the DVC discount. Has anyone done this recently? Has anyone had trouble so late in their pass year?

I'm not sure I see the value in upgrading so late in your pass year. Maybe the discount would be better spent on renewal, and renewing to a PAP for next year, if renewals are what you do.

My guess is that the OP's family has "regular" APs and would like to upgrade to the DVC-discounted PAPs. They should be able to basically trade their regularly priced APs for DVC-discounted PAPs. Then they will be able to visit DQ, the waterparks and PI for no additonal cost during their upcoming trip.

AFAIK, you can still do this. However, do not expect any refund from the transaction even though the price of the DVC PAP is less than the price of the regular AP.

Best wishes -

CarolMN said:
My guess is that the OP's family has "regular" APs and would like to upgrade to the DVC-discounted PAPs. They should be able to basically trade their regularly priced APs for DVC-discounted PAPs. Then they will be able to visit DQ, the waterparks and PI for no additonal cost during their upcoming trip.

AFAIK, you can still do this. However, do not expect any refund from the transaction even though the price of the DVC PAP is less than the price of the regular AP.

Best wishes -

Yes, that's right. I'm hoping to break even on the exchange and get a trip to a waterpark and DQ in during this visit. I had heard of people getting a small refund when they did this, but I'm not really counting on that. We've only done a waterpark once on an old all-in-one hopper and we've never been to DQ.

We don't renew our passes since we go twice during 12 months and then start that again 13 mos. later (alternating between Oct. and Sept. visits.)

Thanks for your replies. I'm still curious if anyone's done this recently.

Lora said:
Yes, that's right. I'm hoping to break even on the exchange and get a trip to a waterpark and DQ in during this visit. I had heard of people getting a small refund when they did this, but I'm not really counting on that. We've only done a waterpark once on an old all-in-one hopper and we've never been to DQ.

We don't renew our passes since we go twice during 12 months and then start that again 13 mos. later (alternating between Oct. and Sept. visits.)

Thanks for your replies. I'm still curious if anyone's done this recently.
Lora, that is the tactic we use as well. We used to renew when they allowed the renewal to not start until activated, but now with renewals being active from expiration, it makes more sense to buy new ones after staying dormant a year.

I upgraded my AP to a PAP on August 13th and received five dollars and some change back. Its a RARE experience that Disney gives ME money! :teeth:

Tagrel said:
I upgraded my AP to a PAP on August 13th and received five dollars and some change back. Its a RARE experience that Disney gives ME money! :teeth:

I can top that! A few weeks ago I was waiting for the Friendship Gate to open. I bought an AP in April, and a DVC just a few weeks later. Having read about the upgrades, but having no interest in a PAP, I wandered over to ask if I could upgrade.

The CM was a little cranky, and didn't seem interested in small talk. He took my AP, asked for my Visa, and a few moments later gave me a receipt for a credit of $106! :rolleyes1

Needless to say, I was a little worried all week whenver I walked through the Friendship Gates that he would call me back over and tell me that it was a mistake. (Note that I didn't ask for a refund, I just mentioned that I had heard that I may be able to do the upgrade....)

Hope that helps someone - I haven't read about anyone getting a refund lately, so the mouse was kind to me that day!!

We tried to upgraded in May at the International Gateway in Epcot. We were told that they were no longer able to upgrade old APs to the DVC discount PAPs anymore. I was very disappointed, almost to tears. I really counted on getting that upgrade, having planned Pleasure Island and water parks for our 10 day/25th anniversary trip. The CM was sympathetic, and went ahead and upgraded for us, but told us we could not get the $5 back. I was so thrilled that she upgraded, the $5 was no big deal. So, I think it depends on who you ask. If she would not do it, I was going to ask at another guest services.

That's interesting, TC! I thought we could still upgrade, even without a refund. BTW, your GD is beautiful!

Thanks for the compliments on Ireland, she is a cutey. I have new pics, but have yet to get them from the memory card to my computer. Keep checking for the new one. She's 9 months old now!

tc said:
We tried to upgraded in May at the International Gateway in Epcot. We were told that they were no longer able to upgrade old APs to the DVC discount PAPs anymore. I was very disappointed, almost to tears. I really counted on getting that upgrade, having planned Pleasure Island and water parks for our 10 day/25th anniversary trip. The CM was sympathetic, and went ahead and upgraded for us, but told us we could not get the $5 back. I was so thrilled that she upgraded, the $5 was no big deal. So, I think it depends on who you ask. If she would not do it, I was going to ask at another guest services.

I'm glad that it worked for you eventually, but it really goes to show the inconsistencies.

The CM I dealt with was a little cranky - I think that I mentioned that I'd been to his hometown recently and he didn't respond. When I turned around to see if anyone was waiting behind me (I didn't want to hold up someone for an errand that I could do at any time, and was trying to be considerate) he asked if I was in a hurry, in a curt way.

So surprise! when he gave me the money back, I was in shock. I thanked him and he grumbled something and sent me on my way. Just goes to show....

Updating to show what actually happened for me (OP):

I got our AP's upgraded to PAP's on Sept. 18th at the MK Guest Services. The CM let me know that I only had a couple weeks left on the passes, but I explained that with the DVC discount, the upgrade should be basically free and that it was worth it to have the extras for our 2-week stay. He realized what I meant and went ahead with the upgrade. When he finished, he said I had a credit of $19 (??), but that he couldn't refund it. I really didn't need it, I was happy enough to have the upgrade. He didn't want to NOT give it to me in some way, so he gave me a PI ticket for a guest to be used anytime. He put in the extra $3 somehow to match the price of the ticket.

We were able to use our upgraded PAP's for 2 trips to water parks and 2 trips to Disney Quest! Thanks everyone who posted about this originally and made me aware of the possibility!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter