Still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

beaucoup

DIS Veteran
47 & still haven't figured it out.

How I wish I could figure out how to turn my hobbies & interests into some sort of job I could do anytime of day anywhere. Even better if something with repeat income, and if it somehow handled some of it itself. Not looking for full time income. Just a little something on the side.

I've held full careers in the past. Not looking to do that again.

Don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Do you?

How I wish I could figure out how to turn my hobbies & interests into some sort of job I could do anytime of day anywhere. Even better if something with repeat income, and if it somehow handled some of it itself. Not looking for full time income. Just a little something on the side.

NO not really, now I am a SAHM. Trying to figure out what I want to do after the kids are gone. My DB who is 60 and retired, is still trying to figure it out also. He is working for a relative in the same area he retired from, but always says he is still tying to figure out what he wants to be. lol

32 and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up either! Right now I'm a WAHM. I would rather be a SAHM but our finances are requiring that I at least work part-time right now.

I always wanted to be retired..I now know that I have to find a different option ;) I have found that being a chameleon is a required skill for employment, so I guess not knowing what you'd like to do could be advantageous to gaining a variety of talents along the way :thumbsup2

I love my job, but......I would love to have a bakery or be a personal chef! Right now I make a little money baking bread, cookies and desserts for my friends and some employees at my work.....love it!

I am asking myself the same question. I lost my job a little over a month ago (the company eliminated 200+/- jobs). I am 51 years old and open to a change, but I have to be able to pay the bills so I have to make a certain amount of money. I have done a couple of assessments to determine what career choices line up with my skills and interests but can't afford to work for what those jobs are paying. It's great in theory for people to say go for a job that lines up with your interests and hobbies, but it isn't very realistic sometimes.

I thought I was the only one! I'm 37 and have been mostly unemployed for almost 3 years now. All of my post-college employment has been in data entry - which I'm told is a dead career; everyone does their own data entry now and most companies have no need for data entry professionals. I lost my last job in September, and I'm not really looking now since I am anticipating major surgery within the next few weeks.

I think I do know what I want to do, though...on the realistic side, I want to do transcription from home. I have extensive knowledge of medical and legal terminology, and I type 72 WPM at 97% accuracy. But I can't get into it because I have no real experience.

On the somewhat fanciful side, I want to be an interior decorator/home stager. I've been told since I was 6 years old (seriously!) that I'm good at it. I've been working on my new home steadily, since I'm not working outside at the moment. I keep a loose-leaf book of photos from magazines, paint chips and palettes, "design ideas," etc. Constantly updating it. I watch HGTV and DIY Network incessantly. I was actually responsible for 2 bathrooms (completely gutted) and a bedroom at my grandmother's/mother's house and I still get compliments from people when they see it. Heck, I've even had people in furniture stores ask me flat out if I wanted a job because I've got a great eye (that was a long time ago, however...and I was already gainfully employed. Now I can't even get them to talk to me).

:confused3

I guess I'm doing it, my job is a good fit for me, plus I can indulge my entreprenurial nature & love for thrifting with eBay, and get paid for my musical talents playing organ at church.

My brother, in his mid-forties, quit his job to pursue his dream- a guitar repair & lessons business, and it's working out great! My mom went to nursing school in her late forties, and my dad finally figured out in his late fifties or early sixties that farm appraisals appealed to the numbers guy and the farmer in him. Guess you could call some of my family late bloomers, but they eventually figured it out.

I want to turn my interests into a career. But in the area I live in, and my age (36), there is not much hope.

I am really considering taking an Earth Science class at the local community college next fall. I ordered some Algebra books on Amazon.com to study with, because math has never been my strong point, but is a requirement to take the class.

I love weather! Storms, tornados, hurricanes, etc. Drives DH crazy that I want to go storm chasing. LOL. Given the fact that I also love to travel, storm chasing is perfect for me - combining weather and travel!

If nothing else, I can at least broaden my mind with what interests me - do it for ME and not necessarily a career.

One day, perhaps, we will move to a bigger city.

Nope. I'm 32. I still want to be a young adult fiction writer...or a manager of a horse farm in Kentucky...or Jane Goodall.

Nope. I'm 35. I've been in the info tech business for 11 years and i literally cry every day that i wish i could find out what i should've become. i just want to find the one thing that makes me feel like 'i know i should be doing it.' and it hope it has nothing to do with computers.

Im 51. When I visit my mom, she asks me

What are you going to be IF you grow up?

I say, I dont know mom, but for now, Im going to Disneyland.

I have a good job, make good money, but I still feel the same as the OP.

I've just come to the realization that I'm just like Jimmy Buffett when he sang:

after all the years I've found
My occupational hazard being my occupation's just not around

I'm 29. All my life I wanted to be a mom and I have been for the past 11 years. Now that my kids are in school full time, I've struggled with this a lot. I thought I wanted to be an early education teacher. I've been working in a preschool for around 4 years now and that is NOT what I want to do for the rest of my life. I do it now because it pays for my kids' tuition and if they don't have school, I don't have work.

I'd LOVE to be a full time photographer. I've done a handful of weddings, senior photos, and portraits but nothing regular or steady. I do not have studio space in my house and renting space stresses me out (afraid to fail... Everyone will laugh... Etc etc). I prefer outdoor natural light photography but also realize living in Ohio, sometimes you need an indoor space bc of the weather. I'm terrible at selling myself and don't know how to go about promoting myself either. I know there's a market, I just don't know how to break into it.

At 60, I've finally decided that it doesn't matter what I want to be when I grow up, as long as I steadfastly refuse to grow up. It works for me. ;)

I have been with a mortgage co for 8 yrs, and like it. When I retire, I am moving to FL and working at DW.. Maybe a "football kicker" in England and making adults smile and kids kick the ball back. Maybe the person standing in front or Splash mountain telling you you have 4 more minutes until your FP is good, or Maybe the lady with the gun on the Great movie ride in HS.. but I will prolly be here doing something closer to like until I move there to something I love. (age 35)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter