• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Still going to restaurants?

Good grief- I’m living my life and enjoying myself I’m not running amok ,I wear a mask, I’m careful but boy people on here make me sound like a nut. To be clear. I’m not going out every day, I wear a mask. If I eat out it’s never Olive Garden. And I don’t begrudge people who feel uncomfortable. Going forward in life is my choice. And I’m putting off my trip to WDW where many on here have gone but that’s ok and isnt that “living life”?
I never said you shouldn’t or couldn’t go to restaurants—if you want to go for it. And if you want to go to WDW go for it. But when you start your post by “I’m living life and enjoying myself and eating out” that sets the tone (whether intended or not), that people who aren’t choosing to eat out are not living life…that’s all I was trying to say. It would have been better to say “I’m choosing to eat out, that’s what I am comfortable with”

I think we’ll be pausing restaurants. We ate at Ruth’s Chris a couple of nights ago. The table next to us smelled really strong of weed (gotta love Portland). It made me think the whole dinner long how easily it is for things to pass via the air that you can’t see. It’s not worth the risk.

Other than a lunch after a Memorial Service in mid November, I haven’t eaten in a restaurant in quite a while. Not really COVID related other than I think we got out of the habit of dining out during the early days and then when we did try to go back to it reduced hours and staffing issues made it more of hassle than it was worth. That being said, I’d probably skip it right now as cases are absolutely crazy here. We did attend a Monday night NFL game last week though so certainly not completely avoiding being around people. The guy next to me was coughing so much I briefly thought about trying to find an empty seat elsewhere, but I didn’t. My booster was mid December so I was feeling as though I was as protected as I could be. It’s been 5 days now and so far so good.

At the point, I am not sure how you avoid Covid unless you shelter in place and have zero visitors. I had Covid last week of Dec.. it was mild which i attribute to the Vaccine... I think i got it from my son who visited with his mom at Christmas... Having just 'recovered' from Covid, i feel safe for the foreseeable future and will continue to venture out to restaurants.

With all the cases counts rising so fast, are you still going out to restaurants? We have been kinda just hunkering down at home. One reason is to just save some money and the other is also because the cases are so high here right now. What’s everyone else doing? Business as usual or have you curtailed things a bit lately?

Business as usual:)

I go out to eat in restaurants with about the same frequency as pre-pandemic which is on vacation but locally only maybe a few times a year. We prefer to cook at home. We do order out about once a month which hasn't changed also.

The biggest change in restaurant eating for me is lunch breaks at work. I do offsite lunch breaks much less frequently now since they have wanted us to maximize telework - most everyone gets in, does what they need to do, and gets out. There is no 'lingering around the office' for no reason anymore - which I like.

I never said you shouldn’t or couldn’t go to restaurants—if you want to go for it. And if you want to go to WDW go for it. But when you start your post by “I’m living life and enjoying myself and eating out” that sets the tone (whether intended or not), that people who aren’t choosing to eat out are not living life…that’s all I was trying to say. It would have been better to say “I’m choosing to eat out, that’s what I am comfortable with”
Honestly, this is how it vibes to me as well and if we looked back through countless threads, it's always those comments that get the entire "life/no life" ball rolling.

No we aren’t but mostly because we are tightening up the budget and that’s the easiest place to cut. I always feel like I wasted money when we get fast food.

As for nicer places, they have just shut down indoor dining here again so it will be awhile anyway.

No we aren’t but mostly because we are tightening up the budget and that’s the easiest place to cut. I always feel like I wasted money when we get fast food.

As for nicer places, they have just shut down indoor dining here again so it will be awhile anyway.
What state are you in again? I don’t think here in Massachusetts we will see indoor dining close again.

At the point, I am not sure how you avoid Covid unless you shelter in place and have zero visitors. I had Covid last week of Dec.. it was mild which i attribute to the Vaccine... I think i got it from my son who visited with his mom at Christmas... Having just 'recovered' from Covid, i feel safe for the foreseeable future and will continue to venture out to restaurants.
This. DD, DH, and I all got covid for Christmas. We’re pretty sure DD picked it up babysitting and passed it along. Ironically she was babysitting for a one year old while her parents did Christmas shopping so they wouldn’t have to take her to germy stores. The baby started showing symptoms the next day and tested positive. We don’t know where the baby got it from; perhaps her sisters picked it up at school as they ended up testing positive a couple days later. Who knows.
DH and I have been working in ‘high risk’ jobs all along. (EMS and in person teaching) DD has been living in a dorm. And, we didn’t get it from those high risk situations, it spread through family.
We don’t go out to eat that often, but we will continue to do so.
While I certainly didn’t enjoy Covid and don’t wish to repeat the experience any time soon, there is a certain weird relief that comes from having had it and made it through to the other side. It has lessened some anxiety.

We tend to eat at home or do fast food take out but that is only because hubby is a hermit. We still go to the grocery store about once a month like we always have (again hermit, upright freezer and basement for storage of dry goods). Has nothing to do with any of the Covid strains, just hermit hubby. I was at WDW mid-December and came home fine.

No, no restaurants for us. We also stopped going to grocery store as of last week. We do still get takeout occasionally, but we won't be going into restaurants until numbers in our state go WAY down.

We have yet to get COVID, and I'm going to do everything in my power to keep us from getting it. I'm particularly worried about hospitalization because we are all fully vaccinated and boosted, but I am concerned about the effects of long COVID. I have a couple of friends with long COVID and it's awful. :(

So my Apologies I never in a ZILLION years realized that by saying “living life” would upset the Apple cart. To be specific: I wake up and go about my day aka: live my life. Who knew those words had such ominous intent. I respect the current state we’re in and take all precautions- and I eat at restaurants (no Olive Garden). Peace

We ate out (and indoors) christmas eve but otherwise only takeout. This spring and summer we did some indoor but mainly outdoor. Not possible now (high of 28F today!). At USO and WDW next week we will mainly do counter service

Which is the problem. I know exactly that's how it's being used (even if the person didn't actually mean any sort of tone). It's never used in a polite way and never has been. It's a subtle but not so subtle insult. But it was a different situation back in 2020 so even I viewed it as differently, but by 2021 and certainly by now the "I'm living life" needs to be retired in it's usage.

Besides changing your behavior due to covid includes things like mask wearing, not going out in public if you know you're sick, using hand sanitizer if you didn't before, and so on. Seldom can anyone truly claim they haven't changed their behavior due to covid. I suppose if we'll use your definition the PP isn't living their life as they've disclosed they wear a mask and they are careful around people. To most of us wearing a mask was not part of our normal lives before covid.

You are interpreting it and assuming what its meant towards you.

Here’s an FYI- I’m living my life, I’m doing all the things I did pre-COVID. Why you assume that has any bearing on you I have no idea. All I can say is that when a stranger on the internet makes a comment about what they are doing it probably isn’t about you, it’s about them.

You are interpreting it and assuming what its meant towards you.

Here’s an FYI- I’m living my life, I’m doing all the things I did pre-COVID. Why you assume that has any bearing on you I have no idea. All I can say is that when a stranger on the internet makes a comment about what they are doing it probably isn’t about you, it’s about them.
Um excuse you nope not at all saying their comment was directed towards me personally or anyone personally. Pretty sure we're all aware it was a general statement towards people's choices they are making as in no one in particular. Why you somehow think otherwise is beyond me. As if no one can comment about someone's specific choice of words in a general way. You assume way too much about my comment or anyone else's comment in regards to that post. You seem to take my words on a personal level as you needed to tell me you're living your life, I assure I wasn't talking about you, Sinder. Enjoy you day

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter