STILL waiting for tax refund. What the heck?

I paper filed April 14, 2021. I've checked the automated refund status site many times and only get "no information available".

today I was prepared to spend extended time on hold to find out if the IRS had even received my return. I was trying to find out if I should start thinking of sending in another return. after several tries with the automated phone line I could not find a way to access a living person.

my next step was to call my member of congress' office. at first they tried to explain how to use the IRS status site. I had to slowly and carefully explain that was not what I had asked. they said that they would see what information they could get and call back. I got two calls back, one from the local office I called and one from Washington DC.

basically, the current information is is that the IRS is mostly through electronic and paper filings through March. further Q&A, it seems to point to the assumption that the IRS does not even open returns that are expecting refunds until they have someone available to process them. so with the number of unprocessed returns being in the millions I expect that mine is in an huge warehouse along side a crate with the Ark of the Covenant.

update :

today I checked the IRS automated refund status and it has changed from "no information" to "Your tax return is still being processed".
I guess that means that someone has opened the envelope.

update :

today I checked the IRS automated refund status and it has changed from "Your tax return is still being processed" to "Your refund has been approved".

there was also information that the direct deposit should appear in my account in four days.

the amount is more than my refund, so it looks like I am getting interest. they must be paying a lot higher rate than the banks. my bank accounts get far lower returns with higher account balances.

Yes guys we filed mid March, ours just arrived on August 11th while we were on site at Disney. So terrible wait but great timing in the end 😉!

Still waiting on our 2019 refund. Was finally able to speak to someone at the IRS three weeks ago but still keep getting the runaround almost nine months after filing.

Still waiting on our 2019 refund. Was finally able to speak to someone at the IRS three weeks ago but still keep getting the runaround almost nine months after filing.

I'm still waiting on my deceased FIL's 2019 refund also. It's about $6,000. Haven't heard a word since Dec 2020 when I sent in the requested death certificate and executor paperwork. Apparently the tax return was "done" and that's all they needed. Have receipts that it was received.

update :

today I checked the IRS automated refund status and it has changed from "Your tax return is still being processed" to "Your refund has been approved".

there was also information that the direct deposit should appear in my account in four days.

the amount is more than my refund, so it looks like I am getting interest. they must be paying a lot higher rate than the banks. my bank accounts get far lower returns with higher account balances.

update:

the direct deposit is pending in my account. so my overall time frame was mailed at the Post Office April 14 to deposit on August 24.

and I found out that the IRS pays 3% interest on late refunds compounded daily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter