Stimulus check question-2019 college grad

disneyfanforever

DIS Veteran
We are trying to figure out whether my son would be eligible for a stimulus check. I can't seem to find an answer, and I was hoping someone here would know

In 2018, my son was still a full time college student and we claimed him as a dependent. in 2019, he graduated college in May and started med school in the fall and did not work in the summer so he had no income. We recently filed our 2019 taxes and did not claim him as a dependent as he is using loans primarily to pay for med school and scholarships covered a lot of his last semester in college.

So what do you guys think? Is he eligible? He could definitely use the money.

We are trying to figure out whether my son would be eligible for a stimulus check. I can't seem to find an answer, and I was hoping someone here would know

In 2018, my son was still a full time college student and we claimed him as a dependent. in 2019, he graduated college in May and started med school in the fall and did not work in the summer so he had no income. We recently filed our 2019 taxes and did not claim him as a dependent as he is using loans primarily to pay for med school and scholarships covered a lot of his last semester in college.

My guess is he'll need to go to the IRS site and fill out a form to get the $ if he's eligible. They can't send him a check if they don't have his information.

Wait, so anyone (everyone) can receive a check? I thought only those who filed taxes last year or this year. My foster son (23) has only worked on and off the past 2 years, and didn't file (I kept telling him to). I was under the assumption he wouldn't get any money.

I was under the impression that dependents cannot get stimulus?

My 17yo HS student is my dependent but he worked for 7 weeks last summer at Boy Scout Camp NoBe. He made exactly $999 (room/board eats up alot of paycheck, lol) so we didn't file. Should we file then?

Wait, so anyone (everyone) can receive a check? I thought only those who filed taxes last year or this year. My foster son (23) has only worked on and off the past 2 years, and didn't file (I kept telling him to). I was under the assumption he wouldn't get any money.
There's a good article on taxslayer.com regarding who gets what.

I was under the impression that dependents cannot get stimulus?

My 17yo HS student is my dependent but he worked for 7 weeks last summer at Boy Scout Camp NoBe. He made exactly $999 (room/board eats up alot of paycheck, lol) so we didn't file. Should we file then?
Anyone who is claimed as a dependent is not eligible.

Anyone who is claimed as a dependent is not eligible.
Sort of. The dependent doesn't get his/her own check. But the person claiming them as a dependent gets $500. As long as the dependent is under 17.

A 17 year must be a full-time student to be eligible for the stimulus money.

Sort of. The dependent doesn't get his/her own check. But the person claiming them as a dependent gets $500. As long as the dependent is under 17.

I should have held my son in for another 6 months but he was already 2 weeks over-due!

It is my understanding that those who are eligible and filed taxes will get one automatically. All others who are eligible must apply to get one.

Just curious, are you still able to carry him on your insurance if you didn't claim him as a dependent?

Just curious, are you still able to carry him on your insurance if you didn't claim him as a dependent?
Yes. The two are not connected. I know a couple people who had their adult non-dependent children on their insurance until they were 26, even though they worked FT and could have gotten insurance through there own employer. Neither "child" lived at home.

I was talking about a 17 year old, which is what the quoted post was about.

Yes. The two are not connected. I know a couple people who had their adult non-dependent children on their insurance until they were 26, even though they worked FT and could have gotten insurance through there own employer. Neither "child" lived at home.
I see. My kid is 20 so we aren't there yet.

My son is in the same situation. He graduated in May 2019, but is now working in 2020. We will not claim him as a dependent for 2019, but did in 2018 when he was a full time student.

We haven't filed yet, so will they hold any potential payment to him until we file?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter