Stingray City-nassau Blue Lagoon Island?

BABYJOSIE98

DIS Veteran
Has anyone booked on their own to go to Stingray City in the Bahamas? How was it and is it easy do get there yourself without booking through DCL.:confused: :confused:

My DD wants to swim with the Stingrays and since we are only on the 4 day I thought about checking it out.:p

We did not want to spend the whole day at Blue Lagoon Island. We just want to go early to Stingray City?;)

Thanks for any help.

BABYJOSIE98,

We went to Stingray City when we were on a Carnival Cruise last year. We really enjoyed it! We are not snorkelers, but we managed to swim around okay. We got some great pictures with our underwater camera too. We booked the excursion through Carnival, so I don't know how it works if you book on your own. I do know that the boat we took from Nassau to Blue Lagoon Island had DCL cruisers along with us. So, if you booked the excursion on your own, you would probably be on the same boat anyway.

We did have to spend the whole day there. We got there about 12:00 and the boat left at around 4:30. There was no shuttle back and forth to Nassau.

bassoongirl

:p Sounds like you had fun. I will have to book on my own cause DCL is strict on age of child. 6 and over:eek: :eek:
If I book on my own then my 5 year old can go. Thanks for the info.;)

whne we did stingray city a few yrs ago, my little guy was 5, and the water was rough--a bit too cold and rough for him....

We (5 of us) did the day to Blue Lagoon including the Stingray City trip. We thoroughly enjoyed it. That said, we are not avid or experienced snorkelers and for us it was our first time. The water was a bit choppy the day we were there but the employees are in the water and get the stingrays up where you can touch them. There are also a pile of other tropical fish around. Someone asked while we were there how much the visit to Stingray City was if you walked up and were told $15.00 per person. I can't remember how much the day shore excursion alone at Blue Lagoon alone was/is but you could do just the Blue Lagoon trip and some of your group do the Stingray City while others pass. Until you go you don't really understand the logistics of where this is and what is involved.
It is about a 40 - 45 minute trip with a quick stop at the dock on Paradise Island enroute (not tooooooo far from the Atlantis Hotel) and then once on the the Blue Lagoon you are led to the Stingray City which is at the far end of the island. Its a fair hike and IF there is a large group I'd personally suggest waiting 30 minutes until everyone else is done. Much quieter (as long as no other groups are in there) and there are lots of things to look at enroute.
I've heard complaints about the food included but I have to say I personally found the food good, plentiful and a decent choice. You get "drink coupons" but be warned it is NOT for the cans of juice or pop directly beside where you get your lunch. It is for cups of fruit punch (No alcohol and someone asked for a rum punch and they do not sell it). The punch was very good and you get two coupons each but don't automatically grab the cans of soda pop or juice figuring its included. We had a great day at Blue Lagoon and for novice snorkelers like us it was great. I think for people that have done a fair bit of snorkeling it may be a bit dull. However Blue Lagoon was beautiful. The hammocks, water and location was great.
Cheers,
Grumbo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter