Storage space at the resorts

LUVDVC

Earning My Ears
Since we became members last year, we have stayed at BWV and HHI and we have toured all the other resorts. I wonder if anyone knows why Disney has chosen to provide so little storage space for luggage and gear. Has anyone seen that issue addressed?

We just stayed in a one-bedroom with our two kids and the entire unit had only three dresser drawers plus a drawer under a bench seat. So the kids lived out of a suitcase in the living room. That gets really messy after a few days.

I tried to get as much as I could into the one closet, but there were not enough hangers.

That is my ONLY complaint about my DVC experiences. Everything else has been well-thought-out.

I must agree with you. We were fortunate to stay in a 2BR, but the thought did occur to me that if we have fewer people in our group and just get a one bedroom next time, there will be no drawer space for those who are on the fold out couch. Guess I will have to remember to bring extra hangars. Is there empty cupboard space in the kitchen? (I can't remember.) Maybe the people in the living area could use that as sort of an armoire. :rolleyes:

Am I recalling this wrong? We stayed in a 2 bedroom at OKW in '99, and in the master bedroom I thought there were 6 dresser drawers, as well as one on each side of that gigantic bed...plus the closet, and some shelves above the washer/dryer for bathing suits and beach towels. I thought that the 4 of us each had our own drawer and we still had extra room, making me think we didn't pack even close to enough! :) Is that just OKW then, or am I superimposing some other hotel stays on my OKW memories?

We stayed in a 1 bedroom for the first time in May (Always stay in a 2 bedroom or GV). The first thing we do is unpack. We do not like to live out of suitcases. It took some thought on where to store clothes. We moved the bench into the livingroom and my mom used this and the front hall closet for her clothes. My daughter used the 2 night stands and closet in our room for her clothes and we used the amoire and closet. You can request more hangers if needed. This worked out great.:D

the4ofus---You are not recalling wrong. I find the storage in the OKW units to be more than adequate. the front hall closet is usually used by whomever sleeps in the living room. While it is not large, our living room sleeper usually uses the laundry room as a dressing area, so he uses the shelves in there as well. The master closet is huge, and with the drawers in the armoire plus the storage bench, we have more than enough space. We usually pack light and make good use of the washer and dryer.

In the 2 br units, if you get a dedicated 2 bedroom, you will have two large closets in that room but less drawer space than the master.

We also unpack and put suitcases away in the closet as soon as we arrive. It feels more like home and looks neat and clean. The laundry room is always the messy room for us. That is an even bigger problem in the GVs because the laundry room there is smaller than in the 2 BR.

I did note the dressers when I toured OKW, but the one-bedrooms in both BWV and HHI have a total of three drawers, the bench drawer, and one closet. The hall closet holds the washer/dryer, vacuum, pillows, and blanket, iron and ironing board. So there's little room left over. The nightstand drawers held a phone book and pad, and that's about all the room they had. I suppose I could put clothes in the kitchen cabinets next time, as someone suggested. I guess I don't understand why Disney doesn't just put a chest of drawers in the one-bedrooms other than OKW.

I have to agree with this. Our first BWV stay was last month in a 1BR. My daughters slept in the front room and basically lived out of their suitcases in the front closet. DH, DS and I used the dresser in the bedroom. Next year we are splitting between a 2BR at BWV and a 1BR at VWL--anyone know if the storage is better in the VWL 1BRs?
Robin M.

Never noticed that at OKW. Always had more than enough space to keep things. But again, the 1 and 2 bedroom villas at OKW are larger than BWV or WLV so that may be it.

Just another mention that OKW doesn't seem to have this problem. There is space galore in the 1 bedroom and up (can even use the cabinets near the dining table in a pinch). I even find the space in the studios to be adequate to unpack and stow the suitcases.

One thing I loved about the BWV 1 bedroom was the large walk-in closet. It seemed bigger than OKW's with the louver doors. We had plenty of room for both our suitcases on the floor of the closet at BWV.

Just a little hint. We always store our empty luggage under the beds. We do this in every Disney resort we stay. I use the suitcases to store everything I buy (and I must say it's usually way too much!!) and to hold things that we use infrequently (such as pants/sweatshirts, etc). This usually works because it gets the suitcases out of the way.

When we stayed at the BW, we brought metal hangers that came from the drycleaners. So when we left, we just left all the extra hangers behind. We hung a lot more clothes than we do when we stay at OKW. Plus we stack our suitcases inside each other, so the only suitcase space we need is for the largest one.

I haven't stayed at BWV in a couple of years, so I don't recall the storage space there. I have just been to OKW in a 1 bedroom in January, and I thought there was plenty of storage!!!! The master bedroom closet was big, and the drawers in the armoire were very roomy. Plus I think there was a bench/chest type thing that opened up. In the living area, where the sleep sofa is, there is an entry closet near the front door, and that big bar sort of thing on the opposite side of the room which has 2 HUGE cabinets underneath. There was a lot of space in the bathroom vanity too, as I recall. About the only thing I do think is that they could provide more hangers. I bring a few from home usually.

Bad habit - travel heavy - always 4 suitcases - Big ones to boot. Two go in cabinet by Dining Table at OKW. One hugh one in Closet and one in Laundry Room. I wish I had all this free space at Home.

The storage situation at VWL is much the same as BWV. No drawer space in the living area. Bring hangars. :D Hope you enjoy your time at VWL. It is our home resort, and we love it!

Mary

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter