Stormalong bay not open

Ariel620

DIS Veteran
We have a summer DVC trip booked for Beach Club, but with the news that Stormalong Bay not opening, we don’t want to stay without access to a feature pool. Our kids love the water slides at most DVC resorts. I love beach club for other reasons though too, so do you think they will give us access to something else if we keep beach club? If not I guess we will try to switch to another resort but might be hard to find something good this late. I guess we don’t know when Stormalong bay will reopen? Any thoughts?

I think that while only DVC resorts are open, only the quiet or DVC pools will be open. I don’t think there will be anything else to offer. They can’t let people pool hop because the small pools can’t handle extra capacity.

The announcement says that those staying at YC/BC will only have access to leisure pool SAB remains closed.

So, they are not allowing guests to pool hop. Of course, normal Disney guests can’t, but given that all pools will have limitations, I don’t see them allowing pool hopping at this time,

Even some resort guests will be shut out of their own feature pools. I think that is why they said the other pools will be open 24 hours.

IMO, based on the announcement, I’d say SAB won’t be opening around the same time as the parks.

I think that while only DVC resorts are open, only the quiet or DVC pools will be open. I don’t think there will be anything else to offer. They can’t let people pool hop because the small pools can’t handle extra capacity
I thought they said that the feature pools would be open, but with limited hours.

I thought they said that the feature pools would be open, but with limited hours.

Other pools yes, but not SAB...and I think it will be closed beyond just DVC resort opening.

However given that some resort guests could get shut out of feature pools, I do not see them allowing DVC members from BCV to pool hop during this time.

Other pools yes, but not SAB...and I think it will be closed beyond just DVC resort opening.

However given that some resort guests could get shut out of feature pools, I do not see them allowing DVC members from BCV to pool hop during this time.

Okay now reading this I know I'm not going crazy! On Disney's website it now says that guest staying at BCV will be able to use the pools at Boardwalk. It definitely did NOT say that last night.

Activities
  • Stormalong Bay at Disney's Yacht and Beach Club Resorts will not be available during the initial reopening period; Guests of Disney’s Beach Club Villas may use the resort leisure pool, and may also use the Luna Park Pool and leisure pool at Disney’s BoardWalk Villas
  • Poolside Activities
  • Movies Under the Stars
  • Fitness Center
  • Seaside Retreat
  • Sports Courts
  • Fishing Excursions
It may cause some spacing issues but at least there will be access to a feature pool...

I bet some people wish that Disney could have announced this more than 30 days before June 22 (or as soon as possible afterwards since I'm not sure the timeline of them even announcing their reopening). Some people may be having second thoughts about a resort-only trip to BCV with no SAB.

I really do think it's kind of a cheap move not to open SAB. Anybody staying at the Y&B should complain till they are blue in the face. I would not leave guest services without a substantial refund. If DVC maint fees are used for SAB, which I cannot imagine they are not, owners should call member services and voice their concerns about this. You can bet that this is a Disney decision and not a DVC decision. DVC represents the owners and not Disney. DVC should be on the phone with Disney negotiating for their owners Disney is all about money and pandemic or not this is purely a financial move. While there is no guarantee of the parks being open, the pool that you are paying for, should be.

Well it doesn't really concern me but if I was staying at BWV before the parks are open and I couldn't use the BWV pool because of park hopping I wouldn't be a happy camper. Just sayin, doesn't seem like the best solution to me...

I really do think it's kind of a cheap move not to open SAB. Anybody staying at the Y&B should complain till they are blue in the face. I would not leave guest services without a substantial refund. If DVC maint fees are used for SAB, which I cannot imagine they are not, owners should call member services and voice their concerns about this. You can bet that this is a Disney decision and not a DVC decision. DVC represents the owners and not Disney. DVC should be on the phone with Disney negotiating for their owners Disney is all about money and pandemic or not this is purely a financial move. While there is no guarantee of the parks being open, the pool that you are paying for, should be.
SAB existed before the DVC villas, so I doubt the dues pay for the maintenance of it.

I doubt it a pure finance move. I think they have staffing issues. My suspicion is that they have lifeguard staffing constraints. That is why feature pools are limiting hours, and SAB and the Jambo Pool will be closed.

Okay now reading this I know I'm not going crazy! On Disney's website it now says that guest staying at BCV will be able to use the pools at Boardwalk. It definitely did NOT say that last night.

Activities
  • Stormalong Bay at Disney's Yacht and Beach Club Resorts will not be available during the initial reopening period; Guests of Disney’s Beach Club Villas may use the resort leisure pool, and may also use the Luna Park Pool and leisure pool at Disney’s BoardWalk Villas
  • Poolside Activities
  • Movies Under the Stars
  • Fitness Center
  • Seaside Retreat
  • Sports Courts
  • Fishing Excursions
It may cause some spacing issues but at least there will be access to a feature pool...

I just saw that. It did not say that so a change, Only problem I see is that walking all the way there, what happens if it’s full?

I doubt it a pure finance move. I think they have staffing issues. My suspicion is that they have lifeguard staffing constraints. That is why feature pools are limiting hours, and SAB and the Jambo Pool will be closed.
The unemployment rate for Orlando is above 16.2% as of the latest April numbers up from 2..5% in Dec 2019. I think they can find some lifeguards to hire. Lots of resorts shut down in the area most of them with lifeguards out of work.

SAB is a hotel amenities and we, as owners, have no right to any of them,

Yes, owners does do contribute to the running of it, but based on occupant. If there are no guests at YC and BC, Disney doesn’t open the rest of its resort, nor would it be paying to run it with no guests.

Whatever the reason it’s closed, it’s closed.

Because lifeguards went out and got one of the other available jobs around Orlando? I don't think the thought that it's staffing issues is probable or even at all likely. Almost certainly Disney is looking at maximizing profit wherever they can. Remember Chapek is at the helm and that's his MO above everything else.

Because lifeguards went out and got one of the other available jobs around Orlando? I don't think the thought that it's staffing issues is probable or even at all likely. Almost certainly Disney is looking at maximizing profit wherever they can. Remember Chapek is at the helm and that's his MO above everything else.

It still believe that having to limit guests at this specific pool will play a role too,

Too many people go just for that and there will be a lot of upset guests who can’t get in because of reduced capacity...more so the Other feature pools. jMHO

So am I correct that when the DVC resorts open on 6/22, all the other resorts will have access to a feature pool? For example. will the Wilderness Lodge pool be open just for the DVC guests? I haven't heard that it won't. If all the others will have access to a feature pool, it doesn't seem fair that the BCV guests won't.

I bet some people wish that Disney could have announced this more than 30 days before June 22 (or as soon as possible afterwards since I'm not sure the timeline of them even announcing their reopening). Some people may be having second thoughts about a resort-only trip to BCV with no SAB.

DVCs cancellation page still says that the cancellation policies are still altered for the next 30 days, so points will return to use year instead of going into holding.

So anyone who booked BCV to use SAB while the parks are closed, will be able to cancel without points going into holding. I just checked this, since I am going to cancel my BCV stay. We are currently booked for BCV for June 30-July 3, but we won't stay there without SAB. If I want to use the Luna pool, I would just book BWV, it's cheaper (less points).

Just wondering-what about Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian, Villas at Grand Floridian, Bay Lake Tower? All those resorts have a relatively small percentage of DVC guests for the feature pool. During the time when those DVC resorts open, will the feature pool be open for the DVC guests, or will they be following SAB's lead and not open? If they open SAB should also. And BCV guests are the only DVC guests left without access to any pool with a slide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter