Stormalong Bay with a high energy ASD kiddo

Dr.JackieOgden

Earning My Ears
We are thinking of staying on property for a June vacation and right now are between Boardwalk and Beach Club (one bedroom villas). Since it will be so hot and presumably crowded we are planning on taking swim breaks every day so I am looking for a fun pool.
Stormalong Bay looks AMAZING but I am worried that I will be on constant red alert with my son in this swim area. He is 8, has autism, is verbal and has tons of energy. He is really bad at waiting for waterslides (he loves them but either cuts or can't stay in line by himself long enough to get a turn), and often doesn't understand that his behavior is bothersome to others (splashing, yelling, etc.)
He is a decent swimmer but not super strong and can get obsessive about things to (ex. having to touch everything in a certain area). Generally he is not bothered by noise but if it's a complete madhouse it could get difficult for him.
I know he would love Stormalong but does it seem like a bad idea to take him there? Should we just go to Boardwalk, which looks like it would be much more relaxing? My husband and I are definitely willing to stay with him in the water or go on slides with him but we do not want to spend our entire "downtime" climbing pirate ships or stopping our son from throwing sand :)
I would really appreciate hearing from people who have experience at Stormalong or just thoughts on how BCV and BWV compare!

I know that the resorts that have water slide the wait is not that long ( I would say about 3 people on average wait)can one of you go with him and help him wait. He will be doing a lot of waiting at Disney anyways much more than for a water slide at a hotel

Stay at Boardwalk. In addition to being a smaller pool overall, there is an adjacent playground which I'm sure your son would love to run around, climb, slide, etc. It is literally right next to the pool....kids often run back and forth between the pool and playground.

We have two ASD kids and stayed at Beach Club when they were 4 and 5 and the pool is amazing but you have to stay right there with your kids the whole time.

The water slide at the Beach Club is accessed by leaving the pool area, crossing the sidewalk over to the beach area, and climbing up the steps. You may find the slide at the Boardwalk pool much easier to keep track of your son. Plus many people say the Boardwalk slide is much more fun than the one at the Beach Club.
Denise

Thanks for insight! I guess I should have said that it's not that he *can't* wait for a water slide he just gets distracted and will step out of line to look at something and when it's a bunch of kids in line unless my daughter is there or there's a super conscientious kid my son basically just isn't getting a turn. We've stayed at Poly and Bay Lake before and this was the case until we started standing with him.

I didn't know about the playground at BW! That's awesome - he would totally be into running back and forth.
Do you guys happen to know if there's swimming or sand play around the Stormalong slide area? I think if we did chose the BCVs we would have to designate "slide time".
I am so torn between how happy my son would be in the sand at Stormalong and how happy I would be drinking a cocktail poolside at BWV :) I wish you could buy a day pass to Stormalong!

8F650D52-587F-4016-9D1D-1F61782FD3B9.jpeg 0C5AACC7-58C9-4363-99BC-B9E274C6853C.jpeg
This might help give a little more perspective.
These pictures are both the BW and Stormalong Bay at BC from the My Disney Experience Map.
Both of the maps are the same resolution, so you can see in real size how they compare.

Stormalong Bay is amazing, but there are so many areas and there are many blind spots where you won’t be able to see unless you are in the right place.

We are thinking of staying on property for a June vacation and right now are between Boardwalk and Beach Club (one bedroom villas). Since it will be so hot and presumably crowded we are planning on taking swim breaks every day so I am looking for a fun pool.
Stormalong Bay looks AMAZING but I am worried that I will be on constant red alert with my son in this swim area. He is 8, has autism, is verbal and has tons of energy. He is really bad at waiting for waterslides (he loves them but either cuts or can't stay in line by himself long enough to get a turn), and often doesn't understand that his behavior is bothersome to others (splashing, yelling, etc.)
He is a decent swimmer but not super strong and can get obsessive about things to (ex. having to touch everything in a certain area). Generally he is not bothered by noise but if it's a complete madhouse it could get difficult for him.
I know he would love Stormalong but does it seem like a bad idea to take him there? Should we just go to Boardwalk, which looks like it would be much more relaxing? My husband and I are definitely willing to stay with him in the water or go on slides with him but we do not want to spend our entire "downtime" climbing pirate ships or stopping our son from throwing sand :)
I would really appreciate hearing from people who have experience at Stormalong or just thoughts on how BCV and BWV compare!

Boardwalk would be the best, especially if sand throwing is a serious issue. SAB has a sandy bottom, sandy pool area, and sand over by the entry way for the slide. And if he is impulsive (is he a good swimmer?) some areas of SAB are very, very deep.

Last edited:

Thanks for insight! I guess I should have said that it's not that he *can't* wait for a water slide he just gets distracted and will step out of line to look at something and when it's a bunch of kids in line unless my daughter is there or there's a super conscientious kid my son basically just isn't getting a turn. We've stayed at Poly and Bay Lake before and this was the case until we started standing with him.

I didn't know about the playground at BW! That's awesome - he would totally be into running back and forth.
Do you guys happen to know if there's swimming or sand play around the Stormalong slide area? I think if we did chose the BCVs we would have to designate "slide time".
I am so torn between how happy my son would be in the sand at Stormalong and how happy I would be drinking a cocktail poolside at BWV :) I wish you could buy a day pass to Stormalong!

The line for the Stormalong Bay slide is a more narrow staircase with rails that makes it harder to not keep moving forward than some of the other more open pool slide queues.

Is there a local place you could "practice"? An indoor YMCA?
Also, how about watching YouTube videos of both places and seeing which one he likes best?
Good luck and have a great time on vacation!

I have an ASD son who sounds like he was very similar to yours at that age - and we avoided beach club for the same reasons giving you pause.

Our best pool was kidani village. The one bedrooms there are great (2 bathrooms!!!pullout couch AND single sleeper chair in den!! Giraffes for you and your spouse/other kids to look at from the balcony while you have a wine when the kid is DONE AT 7 pm and needs his plain butter pasta and his iPad!))

The pool itself - you can see just about everything, the bar is right there, there is an awesome spray play, and the lifeguards are so engaged. For whatever reason, we always meet other families there with ASD/aspergers kids there at that pool. I think it's great for our families.

I would go with the Boardwalk. You would indeed have to be on "red alert" the whole time at the Beach Club pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter