• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Strange Question - does anyone other than me turn into a hypochondriac right before their trip?

snowwhitesmom

DIS Veteran
Granted, we have had several WDW trips where one or more of the members of our group was actually hospitalized.Nothing to do with Disney, just life. In fact, I was diagnosed with my autoimmune disease at the Celebration hospital. Anyhoo - now, right before every trip I start to think, what if this happens or that happens? Is it just me? TIA

You are not the only one! But then even now over 100 days from our trip I have those thoughts. Each time we have gone one of our kids has ended up sick. Granted, I am a hypochondriac normally. :rolleyes: I never know when I am actually sick enough for a doctor because of it. :rotfl:

Definitely anxiety, not hypochondria. Hypochondria is believing/fearing you have all kinds of diseases when you don't.
I definitely turn into a germaphobe though! Especially if we are doing WDW and then a Disney cruise. I'm paranoid we will get sick and not be able to go.

Thanks for your responses- - I feel less alone now Anxiety, yes - that too. Like so many other people, we look forward to this trip so much - the idea of it having a damper put on it is upsetting! Deep breaths, deep breaths....

Before a trip, I’m very conscious about washing my hands after going anywhere, using hand sanitizer while out and about, & if someone appears sick I avoid them like the plague. I tend to get sick easy & a cold that only last a 2 days with my DH will knock me down for a week, so I’m cautious. I don’t want to be sick at Disney. I think it’s perfectly normal.

Anxiety 100 percent! It has always worked out fine though....except....

....at our last trip with my whole fam (husband, parents, sisters, brothers in law, 2 nieces) I came down with the WORST cold of my life. I was totally fine, and then we all split off one evening at MK. I went with my husband to Pecos Bill and the disney gods were probably punishing me for getting too greedy with the toppings bar, because the next morning I was so sick. Back and forth to a walgreens 30 min from the resort in an uber twice for meds. Rest of the trip was awful.

Heading back for my 1 year anniversary with my husband in September - I am the same as tsme - washing my hands like a crazy person, and def going to avoid Pecos Bill this time even though I love it and am trying to try the Hades Buffalo Nachos that are a special halloween themed item!

This is our first (and only) trip, but I feel this creeping up. We are going the week after Thanksgiving but we go camping every year for Thanksgiving for my family. I'm picturing someone jumping off a small dirt clot and twisting an ankle and ruining our one and only trip! Starting Nov 1, I might start wrapping the children in bubblewrap.

Totally. I'm generally a "a little dirt ain't gonna kill ya!" type, but about 2 weeks before every trip I start catching myself giving small kids a wide berth and bolting anytime I hear a sniffle. It's the only time I Purell. :laughing:

We are going this year in mid October and it is the first trip for my family. My son who is almost 5 years old is playing soccer for the first time starting next week. Tonight he was trying on his cleats for the first time and as he was walking and running he sometimes rolled onto the side of his foot..... I was like oh no be careful we don't need you twisting your ankle or worse before we go to Disney!
On a sepesepa note my husband and I normally don't get flu shots (DS does though) and this year we are considering getting a flu shot before we go to Disney because we don't want be get the flu right before or while we are there.

Yes!
Here's the anxious Mom coming out:

"Did you cough? Do not cough!"
"Do NOT cough on me."
"Wash your hands again."
"Don't let me forget to pack the Pepto pills!"
"Do we have Mylanta?"
"No. You don't have a headache."
"Everybody take some of these Bandaids and throw 'em in your suitcase."
"Stop sneezing!!"
"No. No rash. Pink is not red."
"For the love of God, stop sneezing!!"
"I don't care if you're not sleepy...you need your sleep if you don't want to get sick."
"Wash them again!"

In 2010 I got very sick while there during Christmas time. It was a cold /flu and it came on so fast and got so bad that a cast member had to go into the closed store and get the cold medicine for me. Ever since then I always bring multiple types of cold and flu medication in my suitcase. I also start taking airborne about 2 or 3 months before we go. Hand sanitizer in every bag that is going to be used while there (just thinking about all the kids who cough then touch the hand rails is enough to make me want to wash my hand right now... LOL).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter