Strategy for One-Time Use Points - Would this work?

Mousestruck2

Earning My Ears
I would like to purchase 24 one-time use points for my June 2024 Use Year so that I can take two trips this year - one in June, which is already booked, and one in November, which is not yet booked. If I understand correctly, I cannot yet purchase the points to use for my November trip because it is more than 7 months out. My plan (for the November trip) is to use the 22 points I still have for Use Year 2024, to purchase 24 one-time use points, and to borrow 16 points from my 2025 Use Year (for a total of 62 points for a 4-night stay).

Technically I need to wait until April, the 7-month mark, to make the November reservation. However, the trip is during a busy time and availability will likely dwindle over the couple of months. So I'm wondering if this strategy would work...

If I purchase 24 one-time use points to book an extra reservation for August or September (within the 7-month window), and then cancel that reservation shortly after making it, could I then turn around and use those 24 points to make my November reservation? (I would use the 22 existing points plus the 24 one-time use points, and borrow the balance from 2025). Or would I still have to wait until April to use those 24 points for a November vacation? I guess that would be gaming the system, but it must be fairly common as plans often change. It's basically like walking a reservation - booking something you intend to cancel.

Is there a better strategy? Or do I simply need to roll the dice and hope I can get a reservation in April? Advice appreciated!

Thank you! My frustration is that everything would have worked out perfectly if I had only booked the November trip before the June trip. Then I could have used my regular 2024 points for the November trip and purchased the one-time use points for the June trip. Oh well... guess I will just have to wait until April!

I would think you could a) book a trip within the 7 month window which would require the OTU points b) cancel the trip you have just booked c) modify the June reservation to use the OTU points, then d) make the November reservation with the points you have freed up from your June res.

No doubt someone will correct me if that’s not possible!

I would think you could a) book a trip within the 7 month window which would require the OTU points b) cancel the trip you have just booked c) modify the June reservation to use the OTU points, then d) make the November reservation with the points you have freed up from your June res.

That thought occurred to me. The question is how do I apply the OTU points from the canceled reservation to my June reservation and make sure that I free up the regular use year points? I'm guessing I would need a little help from Member Services.

That thought occurred to me. The question is how do I apply the OTU points from the canceled reservation to my June reservation and make sure that I free up the regular use year points? I'm guessing I would need a little help from Member Services.
Yes I believe you do need help from MS as you didn't book with the OTUP contract.

Go look in the dashboard like you are booking a vacation for the exact same accomodations and duration.
If it is available MS will be able to add them when you buy them as it is inside of 7 months.

You can only substitute in OTU points for the June reservation if it was booked 7 months or less. It will not allow you to substitute those into that trip, unless there are still rooms available. It would be subvertying the home resort booking period to do that.

If you booked June during the home resort priority, it will lock that contract and that must be used first before any other points would be allowed into the reservation. Now, if there is still availability for at least one of the nights for your June trip, then MS should be able to let you purchase OTU points for a date after June 1st, cancel it, and then reallocate into your June trip....

Only if the June trip was booked 7 months or less...you can't put OTU points into any reservation that was booked during home resort prioirty period.

One option that might work for you, and only if there is still availability to book your June trip. Go in and see if that date and room is available still. Is to modify your current June for the dates you need in Nov. Then do a new booking for your June dates, and purchase OTU points for it.
But as I said, only if you see there is availability for your June dates before you modify

You can only substitute in OTU points for the June reservation if it was booked 7 months or less. It will not allow you to substitute those into that trip, unless there are still rooms available. It would be subvertying the home resort booking period to do that.

If you booked June during the home resort priority, it will lock that contract and that must be used first before any other points would be allowed into the reservation. Now, if there is still availability for at least one of the nights for your June trip, then MS should be able to let you purchase OTU points for a date after June 1st, cancel it, and then reallocate into your June trip....
Thank you! The trip was booked less than 7 months out, so there is no issue with home resort priority. There is one night available, so I could call MS and see if they can help me. The whole thing makes me so nervous! I don't want to mess up my June reservation!

Thank you! The trip was booked less than 7 months out, so there is no issue with home resort priority. There is one night available, so I could call MS and see if they can help me. The whole thing makes me so nervous! I don't want to mess up my June reservation!
Yes just call. They will be able to help you and do it all at one time.

Then it won’t be any problem to get it to work. Book a night for a similar amount of points with the OTU points, have it canceled and then have them reallocate.

If the night you are booking is the same time you are going, it should be even easier.

Then it won’t be any problem to get it to work. Book a night for a similar amount of points with the OTU points, have it canceled and then have them reallocate.

If the night you are booking is the same time you are going, it should be even easier.
You have to call to buy the OTUP so why not have them do it at the same time?

Is there something that I’m missing?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter