Straws at drink stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
personal moralities aside, I just got back from my first cruise, and I hated every element of the experience of drinking from a paper straw, the taste the feel the fact that if I left the straw in the drink too long it would collapse ughhh!
So... they had paper straws? Which ship?

So how do you push the lever to dispense the drink?

And now that the liquid that has been sloshing around with the liquid that includes your saliva, you are indeed touching that to the dispenser.

The "environmental issues" you refer to are overblown and out of the realm of reality. People make up way too much out of a very minor thing.

Nobody reads the entire thread, it drones on with the same thing if people trying to justify their personal feelings and force them onto others.
View attachment 325396

I'm sure you know how a Tervis tumbler works. The rim of the cup is covered by the lid. The only thing your mouth comes into contact with is the lid itself. Never the cup. Even if I did touch the outside of the cup to the lever, it's not the part that my mouth ever comes into contact with. Further, I wrap my hand around the cup and use the back of my fingers to trip the lever. I do this often, even with paper cups. Finally, I have no idea what you are talking about with respect to sloshing saliva, since the inside of the cup is never coming into contact with the rim.

If anyone has information for me that could help me understand why refilling a Tervis directly and not using the paper cups is really a problem, then I'll consider changing my approach. I really can't see the issue.

As for the sign, I completely agree that if I'm going to use one of their cups, it should be a fresh one. The bigger issue is reusing the paper cups.

I'm sure you know how a Tervis tumbler works. The rim of the cup is covered by the lid. The only thing your mouth comes into contact with is the lid itself. Never the cup. Even if I did touch the outside of the cup to the lever, it's not the part that my mouth ever comes into contact with. Further, I wrap my hand around the cup and use the back of my fingers to trip the lever. I do this often, even with paper cups. Finally, I have no idea what you are talking about with respect to sloshing saliva, since the inside of the cup is never coming into contact with the rim.

If anyone has information for me that could help me understand why refilling a Tervis directly and not using the paper cups is really a problem, then I'll consider changing my approach. I really can't see the issue.

As for the sign, I completely agree that if I'm going to use one of their cups, it should be a fresh one. The bigger issue is reusing the paper cups.
FYI - At least on the Fantasy (can't speak for others), the drink refill station does not have levers, but a button you push above the spout. So no levers to come in contact with your cup at all.

As you drink from the tumbler, you invariably will transfer saliva from your mouth to the interior of the cup. Unless you sterilize the cup prior to filling it from a fountain, then you risk the transfer of that cups contents......upload_2018-6-2_8-33-38.png

FYI - At least on the Fantasy (can't speak for others), the drink refill station does not have levers, but a button you push above the spout. So no levers to come in contact with your cup at all.

Except the liquid in the cup, mixed with your germs can still splash on the dispenser.

I have been following this thread for a while now and it has taken some interesting turns!!

My take away is - I will bring my own cup/mug for each family member and use the paper cups provided to fill them! thanks for the comments that will change how our family plans.

Some of us grew up when paper straws were the norm and playing in the dirt didn't mean we would get all kinds of diseases. Most of the people that I know that are obsessed with hand sanitizers and the like are the ones that are getting sick all the time. I won't use something that is clearly unclean but I won't worry about everything either. I travel mass transit in NYC for work and there really is no way to avoid touching the same surfaces that millions of others have touched before me. I'm an advocate for letting kids be kids and giving their immune system the exposure it needs to protect them throughout life.

Some of us grew up when paper straws were the norm and playing in the dirt didn't mean we would get all kinds of diseases. Most of the people that I know that are obsessed with hand sanitizers and the like are the ones that are getting sick all the time. I won't use something that is clearly unclean but I won't worry about everything either. I travel mass transit in NYC for work and there really is no way to avoid touching the same surfaces that millions of others have touched before me. I'm an advocate for letting kids be kids and giving their immune system the exposure it needs to protect them throughout life.
I agree with this sentiment and you'd be hard pressed to find hand sanitizer in my house. That being said, there are situations where you have to be extra careful. Cruise ships are close quarters and if you are exposed to something once, you will probably be exposed many times. Even the best immune system can only do so much.

Therefore I buy a thing of hand sanitizer before we leave, I use the cups provided to fill like, and I take the wipes at the restaurants.

I agree with this sentiment and you'd be hard pressed to find hand sanitizer in my house. That being said, there are situations where you have to be extra careful. Cruise ships are close quarters and if you are exposed to something once, you will probably be exposed many times. Even the best immune system can only do so much.

Therefore I buy a thing of hand sanitizer before we leave, I use the cups provided to fill like, and I take the wipes at the restaurants.

I completely agree :-) I would hate to be the cause of spreading something to someone else!

Just very curious: how dangerous and how high is the change of getting sick when a germ from my saliva at my reusable cup is getting in your cup by splashing or touching the lever? I think a lot of you are thinking you get sick, but isn’t the chance very low and is there any scientific evidence?
Secondly: If someone sneezes or coughs in front of next to you, you get in my understanding more saliva on you and you can inhale it through your nose or mouth... just my opinion..
So were are talking about a unreal chance and telling ourselves the use of plastic straws is ok and reusing a cup is not ok. The ocean is full of plastic, animals get hurt or die because we need plastic straws.. uuugh...
One good thing: fish eat plastic too, and we eat fish... humans get hurt,

just something to consider next time you take a plastic straw - View attachment 326641View attachment 326642
Disney is my happy place. Where I go to relax and not think about death, disease, homelessness, natural disaster and the like. But I’m so willing to raise money on the site for a disaster, child who has outgrown their wheelchair, a fire that destroyed a home while the family was on a cruise.

What I do not want to see is the dead family pet(any reason), bloodied auto accident, dead bodies lined up from a disaster, broken bones before they have had medical attention, animal that have been or are being tortured.

Your verbal comments have been enough to understand the problem.

I’M OFFENDED you forced this photo (that I have seen before) on me. I know when I watch Animal Rescue shows I will usually see a before and after with a happy horse, dog, cat, goat... But there are times when I know “This isn’t the day I should watch this”

I feel you should remove those photos and offer a link that people have a choice to view. With a warning that they are graphic photos.

I’m so upset now. Your photos were offered for shock value. Guess you can get a smile your face today, mission accomplished I guess.

Take those photos down and offer the link! It’s the right thing to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter