STRESSED: AoA, AKL or POR???

Which one is best? (I have 6 adults, 3 kids age 4-5, and an 8mo going in June 2019)

• Art of Animation

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • Port Orleans Riverside

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters

kat_fisch

Earning My Ears
Soooo I'm a beginner here with all this Disney vacation craziness and I'm feeling completely overwhelmed. I am planning to trip for my extended family-6 adults, 4 kids, and a baby. We are 3 families and need to book 3 rooms/suites. I don't know where to stay-none of us have stayed on Disney property before!
I need help/insider scoop on where to stay! We have been looking at Art of Animation (we would be booking 3 suites and I know we need to all book the same theme so we are together), Animal Kingdom Lodge, or Port Orleans-Riverside. We know that Art of Animation would be great for the kids-it's a value resort but would actually end up being most expensive since we have to book suites (my SIL has 3 boys, all age 5). My friend says POR is a great resort but my MIL heard the rooms are weird-are the pirate rooms or something? And I'm concerned about AKL because of the description of the food-is that good for little kids having ethnic food? Sorry if that sounds insensitive. Also, is AKL's theme as "cool" for 4 and 5 yo's as AoA?

We are going to buy the dining plan and spend 3 days in parks (2 at MK and 1 at HS). How important is location? Distance/travel/transportation to those places from these resorts?!

See? I NEED HELP!!

Thanks so much!
Katherine

AKL is amazing. That would definitely be my choice. They have plenty of "standard" kids food options. What could be cooler than looking out your balcony at African animals? The pool is amazing, you would also have access to the pool at Kidani which has a really great kid's splash area. There are a ton of activities for kids also.

My second choice would be AoA, the resort does look fun and the pool is cute. I would have a hard time paying more for a value than for a deluxe though.

POR does have some rooms that are princess themed, but not all of them.

All of those resorts you would be relying on the bus so that really shouldn't be a factor.

Funny, I myself was looking at booking rooms for two adults and 3 five year olds as well.

You don't HAVE to limit yourselves to the 5 person rooms. Your SIL could book connecting rooms at any of the values and two of those rooms are cheaper than an AoA suite. For the groups overall, that would be MUCH less expensive, since everyone else only really needs one value room.

FWIW, we landed on renting DVC points and staying in a studio at Boardwalk Villas. It's about the same as the cost of getting two rooms at Pop! but we get walking distance to two parks.

If you're willing to rent DVC points, your group could get a 2 bedroom and a studio at any of the DVC resorts and that would be enough room for everyone. One family in the studio, one family in each of the BRs of the 2 BR, and a living area with kitchen and washer/dryer.

I vote AKL or POR. The suites at AoA are kid-friendly, but paying that much for a room at a value is a big no for me. If you're going to pay that much, go for a Deluxe resort where you get the corresponding amenities.

POR does not have pirate rooms, they have Princess rooms, but those are more expensive. They have regular hotel rooms some of which have a small murphy bed for a child so it can sleep 5. It's a lovely resort and I've enjoyed my stays there.

AKL is expensive and it has regular rooms that only accommodate 4, but it's incredibly themed and beautiful, so you can't go wrong with it.

+1 for renting DVC points and staying at AKL Kidani Village. If your budget is tight then either Saratoga Springs or Old Key West (I am partial to OKW). Non-members can go to dvcmember dot com and check-out floor plans. ************** dot net has the same information plus reviews. There are DIS sponsors that are DVC point brokers to handle the reservations.

You do save A LOT of money renting DVC points rather than direct from Disney BUT you generally have to make full payment upfront AND someone else has control of your reservation. Oh yea, payment is usually non-refundable so either KNOW you are going without fail OR get insurance. That said, I would do it if I were not already a DVC member.

Oops! Posting engine recognized a third party website. Just ask G00gle. It knows all.

Grandparents are paying :) They haven't given us a budget-just that they will pay for the packages (lodging, tickets, and dining plan) which is great but I still can't wrap my head around paying more for a suite at a value resort which I know is supposed to be the lowest tier. When we can all fit in rooms at a higher tier resort for less money. Make sense?

My friend says POR is a great resort but my MIL heard the rooms are weird-are the pirate rooms or something?

Pirate rooms are at Caribbean Beach resort. As mentioned, POR has royal themed rooms available for booking but they are a separate booking category (upgrade) so you will know if you are booking these or not. All other room categories are "normal" looking rooms and themed like the rest of the resort.

I'm concerned about AKL because of the description of the food-is that good for little kids having ethnic food?

I don't eat what you might consider ethnic food, and was satisfied at AKL. The Mara is the QS option and has a fair amount of options.

IMO, I think POR is your best bet. AKL is beautiful but its far off the beaten path, other than AK which is the park we visit the least. This makes for long bus commutes and we weren't keen on paying deluxe prices but having no alternate transportation. POR is less than 10 minute drive to the parks, love the boat to Disney Springs, and the food court is one of my favorites on property.

Grandparents are paying :) They haven't given us a budget-just that they will pay for the packages (lodging, tickets, and dining plan) which is great but I still can't wrap my head around paying more for a suite at a value resort which I know is supposed to be the lowest tier. When we can all fit in rooms at a higher tier resort for less money. Make sense?

If the grandparents are willing to let a child "stay" in their room, then that wouldn't make sense to me either. If you're booking 3 suites at AoA, you're talking about booking room for 18 people over 3 years and 3 babies for only 10 people and 1 baby. That's your price differential- you're comparing capacity for 18 adults 3 babies at AoA with capacity for 12 adults 3 babies at AKL.

If you're looking at the AoA suites, the three families only need two suites to all stay there and I'm guessing the cost of two suites is less than the cost of 3 standard deluxe rooms.

With three suites at AoA, you get much more room but a lower end hotel. At a deluxe, you get less space with much nicer amenities. Which trade off do you want?

One more plug for DVC: 1 bedroom villas and larger include a full kitchen and washer/dryer. Typically we will have breakfast in the villa before hitting the parks. This can also address the problem of picky eaters though chicken nuggets and frys are almost universally available anywhere on property.

You could make a 2 bedroom lock-off (1 bedroom villa connected to a deluxe studio) plus a deluxe studio work. SIL+DB+3DNs in the 1 bedroom part (kids bedding down on pull out sofa and sleep chair) with the other adults distributed in the deluxe studios. BTW, this is in Kidani Villa. Bay Lake Tower has a similar sleeping setup and is next to Magic Kingdom (and more expensive). Depending on your time frame, you may not be able to get a 2 bedroom lock-off at BLT (though a dedicated 2 bedroom should be doable).

Too pushy?

Bay Lake Tower has a similar sleeping setup and is next to Magic Kingdom (and more expensive).

Either of the Wilderness Lodge options for DVC would be a nice compromise in terms of MK access and price. They could go the same route (2 BR plus another studio) for a bit more than AKL but less than the monorail resorts and use the boat on both of their MK days.

I do think not having the option to cancel is a big concern with DVC, especially when you're talking about coordinating with all of those families. I was willing to pay upfront so that I could have deluxe amenities at value prices, but lots of people wouldn't think that way.

Funny, I myself was looking at booking rooms for two adults and 3 five year olds as well.

You don't HAVE to limit yourselves to the 5 person rooms. Your SIL could book connecting rooms at any of the values and two of those rooms are cheaper than an AoA suite. For the groups overall, that would be MUCH less expensive, since everyone else only really needs one value room.

FWIW, we landed on renting DVC points and staying in a studio at Boardwalk Villas. It's about the same as the cost of getting two rooms at Pop! but we get walking distance to two parks.
You CAN NOT book connecting rooms. You can request them. No matter what anyone says they are not guaranteed. Disney tries, but no guarantee. There are lots of reports here of folks who didn’t get them, even when they were guaranteed

Although I adore Ak Lodge, the rooms are smaller & darker. And I know the pool will be being refurbished for awhile. if you should book there, go for a standard view room & cross your fingers you get a savannah view! I'd say I've gotten a savannah view more times than not while paying for just a standard view. And don't worry about the kids' menu- plenty of "normal" options! And they do have a bunk bed option , which thrill most children.
POR is a wonderful first resort! The grounds are lovely & the pools are fun. You have use of the POR pool as well as the one(s) at POFQ. You can also reserve a carriage ride there which the kids love!
I haven't stayed at AOA so I have no first hand experience, but I personally would go with a moderate resort rather than a value.
Whichever one you choose, you will be blown away at all the details & the full immersion that every resort provides. You're going to love it!!

Although I adore Ak Lodge, the rooms are smaller & darker. And I know the pool will be being refurbished for awhile. if you should book there, go for a standard view room & cross your fingers you get a savannah view! I'd say I've gotten a savannah view more times than not while paying for just a standard view. And don't worry about the kids' menu- plenty of "normal" options! And they do have a bunk bed option , which thrill most children.
POR is a wonderful first resort! The grounds are lovely & the pools are fun. You have use of the POR pool as well as the one(s) at POFQ. You can also reserve a carriage ride there which the kids love!
I haven't stayed at AOA so I have no first hand experience, but I personally would go with a moderate resort rather than a value.
Whichever one you choose, you will be blown away at all the details & the full immersion that every resort provides. You're going to love it!!

My family of 5 enjoyed AoA. Two bathrooms, separate sleeping areas, microwave, and fridge were the appeals for us. Being that you are doing the dining plan a microwave and fridge may not be as important for your group. Bus service was good to the parks and we only had one night after park close that we had to wait more than a few minutes. This was our first on property stay and I must say if this is a value I would feel like I was at the Ritz Carlton staying at a moderate.

Sorry if I missed it, but when are you going? If it isn’t for 11+ months, consider a grand villa rental through David’s. Having everyone in one villa allows for easier babysitting between families, if each set of adults wants a night out. And being able to each have your own room but a shared common area is nice. OKW would be the most economical, but if grandparents approve it ($$$)the AK ones are amazing.
If that isn’t an option I choose AK, but still look at rentals through David’s to book the rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter