strict age regulations for kids clubs?

candeeapril

Disney is my happy thought...now if I could only f
I was wondering how strict they are about age restrictions at the kids clubs? my kids will be 15, 13, and 8. So they technically would be in 3 different clubs and I'm not sure if they will want to go.

I was wondering how strict they are about age restrictions at the kids clubs? my kids will be 15, 13, and 8. So they technically would be in 3 different clubs and I'm not sure if they will want to go.
The only (sometimes) exceptions are if a younger child (very close to the correct age) wants to age up to the next level club. And that's dependent on the CMs at the club. You won't be able to know for sure until you get onboard, since the CMs make the call.

That being said, all of your kids are within their age ranges for their clubs. Possibly the 13 year old could age up to Vibe (ages 14-17), if he/she is close to turning 14. I'll just point out that kids (the proper age) in Vibe have been reported to be less than kind to those (younger) kids who "invade their space". I doubt that the 8 year old could age up to Edge, and the 15 year cannot age down to Edge.

ok thank you for the information.
One thing I'll suggest, make sure they attend their respective club's open house on embarkation day. Most friendships within the clubs are set that day. And that's when the CMs will go over with the group(s) what activities are most likely to be available to the during the cruise.

When we did the Magic 2 years ago, our son was 13 and our daughter 14 which, due to their ages, would split them up into Edge and Vibe. We visited Vibe shortly after boarding and spoke with the directors to see if an exception could be made and they had not problem with it. From what I understand, this is a very common adjustment for this age range, but I'm sure it could also depend upon the number of Vibe-aged kids booked on the cruise. Also from what I understand, they will make these adjustments up, but not down. A younger kid might be allowed to move up to Vibe, but a Vibe-aged kid wouldn't be able to be moved down to Edge.

Hi! I am a Youth Activities Counselor. How far off 14 will you 13 year old be? There is a chance that the Counselors will allow the 13 year old into vibe, depending on how close to 14 they are and the numbers already in vibe. We do suggest that the child try out their own area for a while before making that decision. However if your 15 year old makes friends with kids aged 14-17 will they want their younger brother/sister hanging out with them? I would suggest exactly what PrincessShmoo has said, to encourage them each to go to their respective areas on embark night and see what is on offer and meet other kids. They may surprise you and want to stay where they are! A lot of parents worry about this issue but find that it is a non issue once the kids make friends.

Hi! I am a Youth Activities Counselor. How far off 14 will you 13 year old be? There is a chance that the Counselors will allow the 13 year old into vibe, depending on how close to 14 they are and the numbers already in vibe. We do suggest that the child try out their own area for a while before making that decision. However if your 15 year old makes friends with kids aged 14-17 will they want their younger brother/sister hanging out with them? I would suggest exactly what PrincessShmoo has said, to encourage them each to go to their respective areas on embark night and see what is on offer and meet other kids. They may surprise you and want to stay where they are! A lot of parents worry about this issue but find that it is a non issue once the kids make friends.

My 14 year's birthday is in November. Our cruise starts April 30. He is very shy that is why I wondered about age restrictions. I doubt he would go to the Edge by himself. We will encourage him to at least check it out. Even if he only stays a short time.

We always had the kids contact others their age before the cruise through the meets thread. They had friends before we boarded the ship and this worked well.

My 14 year's birthday is in November. Our cruise starts April 30. He is very shy that is why I wondered about age restrictions. I doubt he would go to the Edge by himself. We will encourage him to at least check it out. Even if he only stays a short time.

You can ask the vibe Counselors once you board but generally we let kids move up if they are within a month or two of their birthday. He can attend any of the open house times with either of his siblings. Which ship are you sailing on?

My 10 year old was able to go to the Edge and it was only 3 months after he turned 10. His cousin was in the Edge already and it wasn't crowded, so that probably made the difference. We did tell him in advance that he may not be able to go to Edge, just to be sure he wasn't disappointed if it didn't work out. And he still went to the Club and Lab as well.

I have a similar question. The time at which I am looking to cruise I have a 6 & 8 year old but I will also have a little one who will be 5 days shy of turning 3 on embarkation day. Would it be possible to join the older 2 in Oceaneer club or would she be required to stay in the nursery?

They are very strict. Even if a child turns 3 while on the cruise they cannot attend until the day of their 3rd birthday.

Don't forget that anyone can go to the open houses at the clubs. The open houses occur most (all?) days. So, if a kid can't age up, they can still enjoy an area during open house.

I have a similar question. The time at which I am looking to cruise I have a 6 & 8 year old but I will also have a little one who will be 5 days shy of turning 3 on embarkation day. Would it be possible to join the older 2 in Oceaneer club or would she be required to stay in the nursery?

This winter DCL became VERY strict with the minimum 3-yrs-old for the Oceaneer Club/Lab; children who turn 3 while on the cruise are not allowed until the actual birthday. Depending on the length of your cruise, the little one may be able to age-up on her birthday (if you are still aboard). Otherwise, as noted, you are welcome to take her during Open House hours and make use of the Nursery for drop-off times.

Enjoy your cruise!

We are going on a cruise in May and my son will be 14 and wants to go to vibe but my daughter just turned 18 in March.. will she defiantly not be able to go with him in the club? He is very shy and most likely wouldn't go if she didn't come with him.

We are going on a cruise in May and my son will be 14 and wants to go to vibe but my daughter just turned 18 in March.. will she defiantly not be able to go with him in the club? He is very shy and most likely wouldn't go if she didn't come with him.
They are very strict on the 18 yro limit. Your daughter won't be able to go to Vibe unless it's during "Open House" times.

A parent doesn't need to be with the kids during an Open House in the Edge or Vibe.

No, but it's the only time parents or other siblings are allowed to go hang out in those spaces. During regular programming anyone not in the age group who isn't a counselor are not permitted.

Most friendships within the clubs are set that day.

Or that's the perception. Either way, for kids in that age, it feels the same. So it's really important for kids to set themselves up for success by going on that first night. So they don't even FEEL like they missed something important by not being there that first night.

FYI: parents must stay with the kids in the club during Open House

That's an important note for the club and lab (which you were talking about in the part of the thread asking about the not-yet-3 year old). We missed that bit, and it messed up some plans we had and we had to rearrange quickly. (we are NOT good at that)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter