• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

"Stroller as Wheelchair" stickers

SyracuseWolvrine

Hockey Fanatic
A bit of an update for those who use the "Stroller as Wheelchair" GAC stamp.

The stamp is being (replaced? supplemented?) with stickers that attach to the stroller. They bear the same logo as the stamp, but in theory, they're easier for CMs to see (don't have to keep getting your GAC out as you go through queues)

The stickers are made of a pretty heavy duty material ... Feels a lot like bumper sticker material to me, but I don't know for sure.

I think it's a good idea, with the possible exception that I'm not sure how easy it will be to quickly distinguish the stickers from airline tags. With a close look, it's not hard, but at a quick glance they may look similar.

I don't know if the stamps are still available, but I have seen the stickers start to come through.

Thanks for the update, Eric.
Most of the gate check tags (at least the ones we have seen from various airlines) are a florescent (don't think that's spelled right) color, either hot pink or hot lime green. So, if the "Stroller as Wheelchair" stickers are a different color, it may not be too difficult.

The "Stroller as Wheelchair" stickers are white with blue text. Which is a bit different from the pink/green airline tags, but there are some airlines that use white tags

Do you get this sticker at any and all Guest Relations when you get the GAC? We definitely used this option on our trip in December, and it made a HUGE difference for DS, especially in the FOTLK and Fantasmic. He was much more secure, calm, and felt "safe" in his stroller.

Thanks for the heads up and any additional info.

I believe that if you ask for "Stroller as Wheelchair" as the only accomodation you need, you'll now get a sticker, instead of a GAC. I'm not entirely sure on the process from a guest standpoint, I just know that we've been told to honor them at our attractions the same way as we would honor that particular GAC.

SyracuseWolvrine said:
I believe that if you ask for "Stroller as Wheelchair" as the only accomodation you need, you'll now get a sticker, instead of a GAC. I'm not entirely sure on the process from a guest standpoint, I just know that we've been told to honor them at our attractions the same way as we would honor that particular GAC.

My DS had several stamps on his last GAC. So does that mean he would still get a stamp on the GAC,or a GAC for his other stamps and a sticker for his stroller?

thanks for your help.

I believe they will give stamps on the GAC for the other needs, and a sticker for the stroller. Like I said, by the time I see the strollers, they've already been marked with the stickers, I don't know exactly what happens before they get to me.

Thanks for the heads up! My DD 3 with CP uses a PANDA chair(mobilty device that looks like a regular stroller) and I know we will need this.

SyracuseWolvrine said:
A bit of an update for those who use the "Stroller as Wheelchair" GAC stamp.

The stamp is being (replaced? supplemented?) with stickers that attach to the stroller. They bear the same logo as the stamp, but in theory, they're easier for CMs to see (don't have to keep getting your GAC out as you go through queues)

The stickers are made of a pretty heavy duty material ... Feels a lot like bumper sticker material to me, but I don't know for sure.

I think it's a good idea, with the possible exception that I'm not sure how easy it will be to quickly distinguish the stickers from airline tags. With a close look, it's not hard, but at a quick glance they may look similar.

I don't know if the stamps are still available, but I have seen the stickers start to come through.

Thanks for the info Eric.

I am so happy that Disney has found a way to help their CM's identify strollers used as "wheelchairs".
I had a similar idea.This is a reply I posted on page 3 of this thread http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=856471&page=3&pp=15

07-08-2005, 10:52 PM #38
minnie61650

I agree Disney needs to figure out a better way to accommodate guests who
need to use a stroller as a wheelchair.
They can't allow all guests to bring strollers through lines because there is not room to park them by the loading area.
So CMs are told not to allow strollers in the queues.
This cause confusion for you and for the CM's. Maybe when they give out the stroller as wheelchair passes they should also give you a helium balloon (that doesn't look out of place but has a color or Character on it that CMs can identify from a distance so they know that's why the stroller is in the queue.)
(Perhaps that is something you may want to suggest in your letter.)
Then when the guest reaches the CM the CM can ask to look at the GAC and make sure all the needs of the guest are taken care of.
You may need to show the GAC to several CMs along the way. The CM does not know what the needs are until he/she sees the card.
Hugs for you and your daughter.
Linda

we were given one of these tags on our last trip this january. it works pretty much just like the gac, when you wheel up to the enterance i just pointed out the tag and they would just wave us through. only once (i think at the haunted mansion) did a cast member question it and was a little short with me because she had never seen one of these tags before. :rolleyes: the only thing that i kind of didn't like was that we were walking around with this tag on my son's stroller. i know this is very silly and overly sensitive of me & let me say that i don't get bothered by the extra "looks" that we get, i just look back and smile because i know that my son is beautiful just the way he is :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: !! not a huge deal, but i just feel like we don't need anything else to bring any attention to us. maybe i am in the minority, but i never minded just showing the gac when needed :confused3 .

mickeymom1 said:
we were given one of these tags on our last trip this january. it works pretty much just like the gac, when you wheel up to the enterance i just pointed out the tag and they would just wave us through. only once (i think at the haunted mansion) did a cast member question it and was a little short with me because she had never seen one of these tags before. :rolleyes: the only thing that i kind of didn't like was that we were walking around with this tag on my son's stroller. i know this is very silly and overly sensitive of me & let me say that i don't get bothered by the extra "looks" that we get, i just look back and smile because i know that my son is beautiful just the way he is :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: !! not a huge deal, but i just feel like we don't need anything else to bring any attention to us. maybe i am in the minority, but i never minded just showing the gac when needed :confused3 .

I completely agree with you. Also, were you concerned that someone would take it off your stroller when you might not have it with you? We had that stamp for my DS in December, but he only needed the stroller in certain areas (i.e. the FOTLK, Fantasmic, Beauty and the Beast). I guess I could just remove it when we're not using it.

Also, were you concerned that someone would take it off your stroller when you might not have it with you? We had that stamp for my DS in December, but he only needed the stroller in certain areas (i.e. the FOTLK, Fantasmic, Beauty and the Beast). I guess I could just remove it when we're not using it.

i did take it off whenever we parked the stroller, just in case ;) !

mickeymom1 said:
i did take it off whenever we parked the stroller, just in case ;) !

Thanks. Seems like it would be easier just to show the GAC!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter