Stroller for 2 kids

bubbasmom99

DIS Veteran
Taking our 2 kids next month. DS will have just turned 4 years old (and is one of those who enjoys being chauffeured vs. walking on his own) and DD will be almost 1 year old. We have a tandem double stroller, but it is heavy and bulky. We are considering the alternatives: a side-by-side stroller or 2 single lightweight strollers.

What is your experience/advice? Thanks!

Although I only have one (3 1/2 yo DD) who also likes to be chauffeured I would recommend 2 lightweight strollers. With the age difference between your children you'll probably have times where you'll want to split up (ones takes DD to baby care center for change and feeding while other takes DS to Toon Town etc). Single strollers are also SO much easier to get through crowds etc.

If there are only 2 adults going single strollers can be a bit of a pain because you both have to be pushing all the time. I have a Sit N Stand for my 5yo and 22 month old. It is not much bigger than a single stoller for pushing, although it is a little heavy for getting on and off busses. The little one sits in the front like a regular stroller and the big one can either sit in the back facing you, or stand facing forward. The rent them at www.abbf.com and they also have a picture at their web site if you do not know what I am talking about.

I just realized, you two will both be there at the same time as me. Make sure you wear your lime green ribbons.

I second the recommendation for the sit N stand, I loved this for wdw when my girls were younger. One big advantage is that the 4yo can just hop on and off between rides without all the hassle of buckles etc.

TJ

The stroller I use is the Peg Perego Pliko. It's a single umbrella stroller, with a small platform on the back for an older child to stand. My DD LOVES IT!!!! Since it's a single,it folds up small and isn't very heavy. I personally didn't like the Sit and Stand stroller, because I felt is was VERY bulky to push and fold up. With such an older child, I don't think any double stroller will work except for a very expensive one. Also, I'd take your 4 year old for a test drive in a cheap umbrella stroller before you buy one. They are VERY small, and probably wouldn't be too comfortable for a larger child.

Regarding the sit-n-stand. I am thinking of buying one for my 5 yr old and 2 yr old. How hard are they to fold up and get on the busses? Also, is it too heavy for transporting on and off the busses? The stroller looks like a perfect one for our situation, but I am concerned with the weight and how small it folds up.

They are easy to fold. They are a bit heavy, I don't think I could handle the stroller and the two young children very well, but usually I grab the kids and DH gets the stroller. Things work out well that way.

We took two regular strollers when our boys were 1-1/2 and 3-1/2 and it worked out great. Both my husband and I had places to put our drinks, etc., and we had the benefit of two baskets to hold all of our stuff. It was NOT a pain at all to push two strollers around. With having two baskets, we didn't have to stuff one full and worry about trying to get things out of the bottom, etc. Also, both boys were able to nap when they wanted.

Another option might be to just take one regular stroller and a carrier for the infant and then rent a stroller in the park as needed. With a carrier for the infant getting to and from the parks should not be too big a deal as you could carry the baby if your older child wants a ride. In the parks you can play it by ear as to when you need the extra stroller. Having only one stroller to deal with on the bus etc will be easier and a regular stroller rather than an umbrella might work better with such a young child. Just another idea.

jordan's mom

I am a big fan of the side by side strollers. If your son is already 4, he may be near the weight limit on some though. The Mountain Buggy Urban Double is supposedly great and good for larger kids. I have a Combi Twin Savvy, which supports up to 45 lbs per seat, but the seats are on the smaller side. You might also want to check out the Peg Perego Aria Twin, the Maclaren Twin Traveller and the Inglesina Twin Jet. There are have been other threads on this board about double strollers as well. You might want to check them out as well. Good luck!

Jo

I'm in the exact same boat as you. DD will turn 4 the day before we leave, but she likes to ride. DS will be 15 mos. We are planning on getting 2 umbrella strollers (we have one and we are going to purchase a lightweight one for DS that reclines, canopy, etc.). I'm going to get a stroller umbrella for the existing stroller we have now, and get rain covers for both. I just think they are less bulky and easier to carry than the larger or double strollers.

We used two umbrella strollers for our 3 yr old and 15 month old. We bought ones that reclined so that they could nap in the strollers. The one drawback with an umbrella stroller is the lack of a storage basket. We used diaper bags that attached to the backs of the strollers and we also bought stroller saddlebags from the One Step Ahead catalog. If you haven't seen them, they're small bags that attach to the side of the stroller. They were great for sunblock, baby wipes, snacks, and other small items that we needed easy access to. There's also an outside pocket on the bag. We put the kids' sippy cups in the pockets so that their drinks were always within reach. My 3 yr old could just reach down and get her drink any time she wanted instead of us having to stop and get it for her.

Have a great time on your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter