• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stroller for 8 yr. old? Which one?

You're going to push your 60 pound 8 year old around WDW in a stroller because she complains about being tired and uncomfortable? Yikes. Have fun with that.

+1

Everyone gets tired. Take a break. It's ridiculous for a non-disabled 8 year old to ride in a stroller. I would hope they would be embarrassed.

Is your 8yo disabled? I'm not being snarky, I'm curious because I have son with a neuromuscular disorder and I still don't know what I'm gong to do about him. He's 40 lbs and 6 yo. He doesn't complain, he just collapses when his body gives out. I have a feeling my child would be horrified if I pushed him around in a stroller but carrying him isn't an option. :/

We have a Liberty by Advance mobility for our son who has autism. It is perfect and he likes the sun screen. I like that he is happy and can make it through a day in the park.

+1

Everyone gets tired. Take a break. It's ridiculous for a non-disabled 8 year old to ride in a stroller. I would hope they would be embarrassed.

:thumbsup2 It's common knowledge that kids have WAY more energy than adults. They also know really well how to throw fits to get what they want. I feel bad for the parents who have given their kids that much power over them that they are now wheeling them around a theme park on a throne!

MinnieVanMom said:
We have a Liberty by Advance mobility for our son who has autism. It is perfect and he likes the sun screen. I like that he is happy and can make it through a day in the park.

Thanks so much for that. I've never heard of that brand before. I still don't know what were going to do in terms of a stroller. The biggest thing is that my son doesn't look disabled. Unless you see him in a bathing suit, he looks "normal". Plus, my gracious, my boy is a trooper. I know he'd continue but his muscles almost turn off when fatigued he doesn't like it and he's aware of it, which is hard. I'm tempted to rent just one for both of my kids. That way they can share and he won't feel humiliated if we present it as if its his sister's to share. :/

Is your 8yo disabled? I'm not being snarky, I'm curious because I have son with a neuromuscular disorder and I still don't know what I'm gong to do about him. He's 40 lbs and 6 yo. He doesn't complain, he just collapses when his body gives out. I have a feeling my child would be horrified if I pushed him around in a stroller but carrying him isn't an option. :/

Would he be willing to ride in a child sized wheel chair if you could find one?? That my be a better alternative over the stroller for him.

I completely understand how you feel. I rented a City Elite stroller from Kingdom Strollers for my DD who'll be turning 6 next week. I know my DD and how she gets when she's tired. I will not be carrying a 50lb child who is walking at a snail's pace at the end of a long day :).

Wow. So I guess posts that are extremely judgmental are allowed on here?

Anyways, OP, ignore the rude posts and do what you want to do. There are people stating that their 5 year even walked the entire time. I believe when people see threads like this, they imagine you'll be pushing your 8 year old in the stroller the entire time. I plan on bringing the stroller, pushing it and then if DD gets tired, she can take a break and ride in it as I continue pushing it. If you prefer to plan your vacation around your child needing breaks, that's fine too. It's completely your decision!

Hi

I am in the same boat. Last year was our first family trip to Disney. My children were 5 and 7. The first two days were stressful and grumpy because the kids complained of being tired or that there feet hurt. By day 3 I caved and rent a stroller from disney. ( I didn't want to spend the money but..) after that life was happier and we all enjoyed ourselves.

My daughter is quite tall and her head touch the top so I am looking for a stroller also for her.

I don't have any suggestions I just wanted to say I totally understand :)

We have been to Disney several times so I know how hard it can be on a child walking around the park all day. In the past we have always taken our own Joovy sit and stand. But this year my kids are older and the front seat of the sit and stand just isn't an option for them. My DDs are 8yr (59 lbs and 52" tall) and 5yr (40lbs and 42" tall) I am considering renting from Kingdom Strollers because of the better price and more comfort compared to the strollers in the parks.
However, I am wondering if the Double City Elite will have enough leg room. By looking at the photo it seems like there isn't much room for their legs. The foot rest seems really close to the seat. The Mini GT, however, looks to have more leg room than the Elite. The foot rest appears to be lower down for more room for their legs.
Has anyone seen these in person before to make this comparison for me? :confused:

I am really not looking forward to hauling this big double stroller on and off the buses, but I am guessing this is my only option. Renting in the parks just seems to be silly to pay more money for a less comfortable stroller. But then again I am a little worried that these Baby Joggers will look like a "baby stroller" for my eight year old. She won't mind what she rides in as long as she is comfortable. My eight year old is a big complainer when it comes to being tired and uncomfortable!

Well, in all honesty, most strollers are "baby strollers." You 8 year old will be in a "baby stroller."

My 4 year old is 44" tall and her knees are up to her chin in our double stroller, (I also have a 2 year old) I can't even imagine cramming a child 10" taller into one. We are seriously considering even taking the double this year. My 2 year old needs one, he still naps. (we have a Peg Perego Aria Twin) Not to mention, have you thought that you are going to be pushing 100 lbs of well rested kids around the park? That will be no mean feat.

In all honesty, I wouldn't even take a stroller, much less two, or a double. I am thinking with the size and age of your kids you will need a really big jogger, or a special needs stroller. Most standard strollers are not made to accommodate 8 year olds.

Wow. So I guess posts that are extremely judgmental are allowed on here?

Anyways, OP, ignore the rude posts and do what you want to do. There are people stating that their 5 year even walked the entire time. I believe when people see threads like this, they imagine you'll be pushing your 8 year old in the stroller the entire time. I plan on bringing the stroller, pushing it and then if DD gets tired, she can take a break and ride in it as I continue pushing it. If you prefer to plan your vacation around your child needing breaks, that's fine too. It's completely your decision!

My 5 year old (who had just turned 5 a couple weeks before) did walk the entire vacation.

It never even occurred to me I should bring a stroller for her. In her 5 year old opinion, strollers were for babies, not a big girl of 5.

She's way to big for a stroller. I'm not saying that in a mean way. If you think she doesn't have it in her I would either take more breaks or rent a wheelchair. My girls are a fresh 5 and this will be the last year of strollers for them. I think 5 is even pushing it, but the strollers do fit their height and we like to move at a swifter pace. Next year we will just have to slow it down.

If you do put her in a stroller, be prepared for horrified looks and snarky comments from people. They will also be making comments directly to your daughter. Just a heads up.

I totally understand that WDW is a lot of walking for anyone, adults included. And generally, I say each family must make a decision that is best for them and them alone. However, unless there are some medical issues involved, I can't see an 8 year old needing a stroller, especially not all the time. The last trip I used a stroller "full-time" was when DD was turning 5. When she was 6 (almost 7), I rented one for 3 out of our 8 days and that was primarily for our Epcot days when we were walking in the World Showcase. DD was 8 on our last trip and we didn't need a stroller at all. We took things a little slower, took more breaks, didn't go commando in the parks all day long every day. My DD is one who has low muscle tone due to medical issues, but she did fine. In fact, she did better than me with all the walking. I could have used a stroller (or at least a wheelchair) more than her because I was dealing with plantar fasciitis and was in major pain with all the walking.

Do you regularly push both at the same time in a stroller? By that I mean, do you realize how hard pushing 100+ lbs up hill will be for you?

I get tired pushing a 30lb toddler up the hills in my neighborhood. I can't imagine what the extra weight would be like. Your kids would be rested but you would be worn out. :crazy2:

Another option would be to rent a double stroller onsite if you need it. It would be a tight fit for both kids at the same time, but there would be enough room for the older one if they took turns. I really hate messing with strollers on the busses, so I always rented onsite. Also, if you find that you don't really need the stroller, you can leave it and not have to drag it everywhere you go.

uh..you know all you who are judgmental and rude, it really is none of your business how other people raise their children. judge not lest ye be judged.

on our trip last week we rented a city mini double for the twins, who are 4. On one day near the end of our vacation on a very hot humid sticky day in hs my 10..yes 10 yr old DD who is a competitive gymnast that has 12 hours of practice a week and can run circles around most kids her age...parked her behind in the stroller and had daddy push her around (DS4 was enjoying walking with me at the time) she was hot and over tired. i could have fought with her and made a scene in HS but honestly if someone had been willing to push ME around for a bit I would have gladly parked my behind in a stroller too.:rotfl: and if anyone had actually said anything about my kids...well momma bear would not have taken that quietly:confused3

OP do what you feel is right for your family, and what will make your vacation enjoyable for YOU. there is no need to please anyone else, or worry about what they think. Just because they have time to waste fretting about what others do..does not mean you have to

enjoy your trip!!

Can't offer much advice on what stroller to use, but I will say this...

It is your vacation and you should do whatever gives your family the best experience. Who cares what others think...have fun and enjoy your trip.

If you do put her in a stroller, be prepared for horrified looks and snarky comments from people. They will also be making comments directly to your daughter. Just a heads up.[/QUOTE]

I hope that is not true. How awful that an adult would ridicule a child. What if the child has a disability or a broken leg or something? I can't imagine people intentionally say rude things to children. I don't even allow my children to say strollers and diapers are for babies because of special needs, I would hope that adults know better.
I do not think you need a double stroller. Any double big enough would probably be a huge inconvenience. Your 8 your old will probably be fine. I would probably bring a single and switch off if you need it or rent.

I did push my 7 year-old dd around for a while on our last trip. She had recovered from a stomach bug, but wasn’t feeling 100% yet. We had been cooped up in the room long enough though. I wore my son who was 10 months at the time and pushed her until she was up to walking. I also pushed her at certain points when it was really crowded and I didn’t want to lose her. It was Thanksgiving week. I did get some comments, but more along the lines of how I looked “loaded down” wearing a baby and pushing a child.

OP, you may be better off getting a single from what is available for rent that is big enough. They can then take turns using it. Like another poster, I am a little concerned about you pushing a loaded double around that much. Be careful not to wear yourself out.

I wouldn’t worry about what others think. I’ve had my parenting attacked on here because I use a safety harness on my toddler. It's what some people do. I have seen plenty of older children in those rentals, old enough that their legs didn’t fit and they had to hold them up to keep them from dragging the ground. Just tired and taking a break I guess. Heck, at certain points, I would hop into one myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter