• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stroller for a 6 year old ?

MamaBear248

Mouseketeer
I Know strollers are a touchey subject on here sometimes but I'm looking for some opinions We are taking our 1st trip to WDW on May 5th-14th we have 7 park days staying at AOA and will not have a car it will be me DH and DD6 At home she does not use a stroller at all and hasn't since 3ish years old !! BUT I know WDW is totally different we go to a local amusement park and she's always mommy, daddy can u carry me ??? She turned 6 in Feb she is only 37 pounds she's a peanut !! I'm trying to decide if I should bring a umbrella stroller just for this trip ??? What do some fellow mommy's & Daddy's recommend ???
Thank you for any help

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We have an almost 5 yr old and 1 yr old and got a double umbrella stroller (bought preowned), my son napped last year in a double city mini we borrowed off a friend and it was awesome having the option plus it's a lot of walking!! Just make sure you get an easily foldable one of you get one, busses etc are tricky if your stroller is complicated.

I have a 7 year old, and I am getting a double (not sure if it will be a double umbrella or sit and stand) We have a 2 & 4 year old, and we are anticipating the 7 year old using the stroller as well.

It's not a bad idea. We actually rented an extra stroller for that very reason when we went back in 2012 for MNSHP. Our daughter was almost 6 at the time but we knew that the later hours and all the walking would wear her out completely and we needed the stroller we brought for our then 18 month old son. It was a good thing we did too because she got really tired and fell asleep in the rented stroller about the time that the parade started (and they both slept through the fireworks!).

If you have one already I'd bring it if you plan on being in the parks for more than a few hours at a time. You could always just plan for frequent breaks and see how she does. If it becomes a problem you can always rent one when you get there. The advantage to doing it this way is you dont have to lug a stroller onto the tram and/or monorail and/or car.

We had a double stroller when my youngest two were 2&4. My very small 8 yo would sometimes get in it too. We would lay the seat back and my 4&8 yo would sit together with my 2 yo in the other side. Anyways we went again we took a sit and stand thinking for sure my now 3 yo would want to ride. Not a chance. So depends on the kid. Do what you feel would make your trip better No one wants to spend thousands on a trip then listen to a tired whiny kid.

I wouldn't listen to the people that say a six year old shouldn't be in a stroller, Disney is a whole different vacation! Most adults wouldn't mind being pushed around! We went when my oldest DD, now 10 was 6 and I even rented her one the last day and she didn't want to use it. That being said, every kid is different. Now we are headed in August and my youngest will be 6 when we go. I am planning on bringing or renting one for her though. She is like your daughter a peanut. She isn't very tall and doesn't weigh much and I just think because her legs are so small she tends to tire more than my other daughter did at her age (who was much taller). I would rather have it just in case, plus it will get you places faster because you won't have to wait for her to walk there!

You have to do what is best for you and your child :)

Thank you all very much I really appreciate all of your opinions I'll will head to walmart this weekend and buy a cheap disney umbrella stroller :-) they are easy enough to fold and light weight :-) should be perfect !!!!! just for the trip and I'm sure one of my nieces could use it when we return :-)

We used an umbrella stroller last spring (DS was 6). He has low muscle tone and tires more easily than other kids his age. Plus, it was Easter week and super crowded, so I liked knowing where he was and not worrying about him getting lost in the crowds.

We knew that he would be too big for a stroller by our next trip, so as we left AK on our last day, we found a family entering the park and gave them our stroller. They had a little girl who was about 4 and they were so surprised and thankful for the stroller, you'd think I'd given them a million dollars!

The funny thing is, our summer plans changed and we ended up at WDW for a couple of days at the end of August. I was wondering how DS would do, especially with the heat and humidity, but he did fine. DH did have to carry a sleepy DS home from MK one night, but luckily we stayed at BLT so it was a quick walk.

So I guess this is my long-winded way of saying to do whatever works best for your family. :goodvibes

We always bring our sit n stand for our now 2 & 6 year olds. DD( 6yr old) does walk, but also takes breaks and either stands or sits. It's especially nice to have to get through crowds after parades etc so we know she's not going to get lost. Also at the end of the night on way to bus & after bus to hotel room nice for her to rest, many of times she fell asleep.

Mine never used a stroller past 4. I seriously don't see why a 6 yr old would need one, you will be far more tired than her from pushing it. They have a lot more energy than I do.

My seven year old needed the stroller a little during our last trip. Especially in the evening. She was tired and she has a lot of stamina. It's a lot of walking. I'd not bring one, I'd rent when/if she needed it. She may not.

Our last trip with stroller for DS was last August - he was 6 (going to be 7 late September). At the end of that trip I left his stroller at bell services at our resort for another Diser to pick up and use on their trip for their child who was around the same age. I liked having the stroller as is gave me storage space to put things so I didn't have to carry them and in August WDW is hot and it is a lot of walking and as others said I'd rather have a kid in a stroller then one walking and whining.

Many times we would park the stroller in a general ride area and walk around and go on rides in that area then come back later for stroller. Many times we pushed an empty stroller while DS walked. But I'd rather have it and not use it than not have it and regret it. Plus with or without DS, it was still carrying bags and food and whatever else mom tends to have to carry as we walk and gather through the parks.

When we went that September it was first time without stroller (DS was 7 by then) and it worked out fine.

Days are long and hot in the parks, kids get tired, at the end of the day it seems like a very long walk to resort buses, etc. and I would much rather push a tired / sleeping kid in a stroller then have to carry or deal with an overtired whining walking kid.

My last trip my DD was 5 just turning 6. I rented a stroller and was happy I did. She didn't use it all the time but when she needed a rest she did and it was great having something to hold all my stuff. I am going to miss that this year.

Thank you all very much I really appreciate all of your opinions I'll will head to walmart this weekend and buy a cheap disney umbrella stroller :-) they are easy enough to fold and light weight :-) should be perfect !!!!! just for the trip and I'm sure one of my nieces could use it when we return :-)

Great idea! Have a great trip!

We went with 6 almost 7 year old twins, and we used the double stroller we rented now and then, but we also had some park time without it too. It's great for Epcot where there is so much walking, and great for park visits that stretch to the evening. When I went to AK alone with the kids while DH golfed, I didn't bring the stroller with the understanding that as soon as the kid whined about being tired we would head back to the resort. That worked well.

Since this is your first trip, I'm glad you're planning on bringing a stroller, because you just never know. Don't be afraid to leave it in the room now and then if you feel like sometimes she won't need it.

my experience..... for a 6 year old that tires out at local parks...bring a cheap umbrella stroller...you won't regret it.:thumbsup2 She will likely walk most of the time, but at the end of a day, and heading back to your room,etc, it can be a lifesaver at 6 years old..... my own kids, one still scammed stroller rides at 6 and 7 (from the baby lol) and one decided at 4 there was NO way he would ride in a baby stroller under any circumstances..... think of it like this, during the day when she's walking, you can toss a bag of snacks in the seat,less carrying!:cool1:

I agree w above poster; we brought a cheap umbrella stroller and SO glad we did. Our DD was in Kindergarten and she was VERY upset when we got tired of walking around w/ her on our shoulders. We finally said "Time to HOP in the stroller." We pointed out ALLLLL the other kids who were her age and also in strollers. Little people can't be expected to walk miles and miles around those parks all day. ;)

We rented a park stroller a couple of times on our last trip with our almost 6 yr old. The temps early in the week were unusually warm, even by Florida standards, so by early afternoon, DD was drained. It was money well-spent :goodvibes

Just a bit of a warning with the cheap umbrella strollers you buy in the stores, you'll most likely be hunched over since the handles tend to be short. It might be worth renting a park stroller now & then rather than having an aching back from being hunched over. DD is 6' tall and had no problems pushing the park stroller but he could not push one of those umbrella strollers for very long. Also, the park strollers have a nice sized canopy for shade.

Everyone on the Dis has an opinion but only you know what is best for you and your child. The Dis police and people won't be there to help you when you are Disney.

Follow your heart and do what is best for you and your children.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter