Stroller for a 7 and 9 year old?

By day 6 of rope-dropping to staying almost until closing, one of my 9 year old twins was asking if we could get a stroller. My kids are all athletic and healthy, but that was a lot of walking. Her feet hurt- even though we made sure everyone was wearing only tried and true, comfy, running shoes, and she was tired. We ended up not getting one, but had she been very uncomfortable we would have considered it.

Everyone should decide what's best for their family, and if it's different than what others prefer for their family, then they shouldn't be judgmental about it.

I think unessesary unless your children have mobility issues! Take advantage of the lockers if you need the extra room.

Maybe. I know I am on my feet walking almost constantly at work.

Keep in mind too that for every step and adult takes a child often has to take 2. So they are walking twice as far as the adult.

Respectfully, no. The child is still walking the same distance as the adult, just that their feet touch the ground more frequently than the aunt's.

While it may be prudent to you to slow down and take breaks, many families don't chose to do so. If they want to use a stroller so that they don't have to have a slow touring style, more power to them I say. Each family should do what works for them. And not feel peer pressured into giving up the stroller before they really want to.

That is why for me this is a do what works for your family thing, and not what works for other people's family. No one should be made to feel as if they are touring the parks wrong, whether they use a stroller or don't.

This family doesn't appear to be giving up the stroller, though. Instead, they're considering incorporating one into their lives again - after potentially a number of years of non-use - albeit temporarily.

I have three kids - 12, 9 and 3 - I rent a double stroller for the 3 and 9 year old - does she need it, no but she uses it and it helps keep the 3 yr old in the buggy when we are going on attractions that he is too small for - also great for storing things!!!

Respectfully, no. The child is still walking the same distance as the adult, just that their feet touch the ground more frequently than the aunt's.

This family doesn't appear to be giving up the stroller, though. Instead, they're considering incorporating one into their lives again - after potentially a number of years of non-use - albeit temporarily.

A child has to expend twice as much energy then, to get as far as the adult. Is that more accurate?

And I was in that same position once. We rented a stroller for one of my nieces, who was far gone from using one at home. It was either rent a stroller, or have 5 other people walk at a snail's pace. She was told she could either pick up the pace, or get in a stroller. She chose the stroller.

I'm very much for doing what works for your family. I'm not sure why so many posters get such joy out of telling others they parent wrong, or tour the parks wrong.

You need to think about your family and kids and do what is good for you. As you can tell from most of the posts here, that the majority would not get a stroller for kids that age, but you know your kids not us.

It is handy to throw things in a stroller, but it is also a pain to park it and then go find it after shows and whatnot.

I am perplexed that my original quote is being used in the context of a stroller vs non-stroller debate and what is best for families? For clarity sake my comment was that if you find yourself and your family (i.e. kids, adults, grandparents, etc.) sans stroller that the prudent advice would be to "adapt/adjust" to the amount of walking your will need to do so as not to drive you and your family into the ground.

Sorry I misunderstood your quote. That makes more sense.

I have a 4yo and an 8yo, and frankly I get tired more quickly than they do!! Maybe momma needs a stroller, haha.

I haven't been to Disney yet with them, but we've had season passes for Sesame Place for years (I know, it's a much, much, much smaller scale). We would sometimes bring the wagon just to throw our stuff in. But that got to be more of a PITA than it was worth, because of the parking and maneuvering of the thing.

I have a 4yo and an 8yo, and frankly I get tired more quickly than they do!! Maybe momma needs a stroller, haha.

I haven't been to Disney yet with them, but we've had season passes for Sesame Place for years (I know, it's a much, much, much smaller scale). We would sometimes bring the wagon just to throw our stuff in. But that got to be more of a PITA than it was worth, because of the parking and maneuvering of the thing.

Just an FYI - wagons are not allowed at WDW.

I think it is up to you. You know your child better than anyone else.

I have a 4 & 9 yr old. My 4 yr old has autism, sensory issues and is a runner so I will be bringing a stroller to use for him. As far as my 9 yr old....I wont be bringing one, but would I rent one? Maybe. It depends on how she handles all the walking, the heat, the crowds, everything. She does not use one in the "real world" but If I or she thinks it would make our vacation much more enjoyable, then I will rent one for her.

Make the best choice for YOUR family.

My son will be turning four and I'm planning on bringing a stroller. He has some core muscle weaknesses, but moreso, it creates a quiet dark place for him. I do feel a little awkward, since he looks like a 6 year old. I'm hoping to just use it for the long walks to and from the hotel etc. I would really like to not use it next time, but I know if I don't bring it I'll regret it later (not that I mind giving a 50 pound kid piggybacks all day...)

I wouldn't put second and fourth graders in strollers. If they couldn't walk all day, then they would need to rest up some. If they were special needs, I would think differently.

People seriously think a third-grader should be riding around in a stroller???? What would his friends say when he brings in pictures of him being pushed around by mommy? My kids at 5 and 7 on their first trip would have been mortified if I suggested a stroller!!! Honestly the thought never even crossed my mind. Strollers were far, far in our rear view mirror by that time.

The two big arguments I hear are, "Where do we put our stuff?" and "What if they get tired?"

What "stuff" are you bringing? Do you still have a diaper bag for your 7-year-old? Do they insist on bringing every toy they own? Are you packing enough food for a 7-day trip? I've always carried a very small backpack--and my husband and I take turns with it. We have cards that we need, sunscreen, a couple snacks, medication if needed, Band-Aids, autograph books when they were into that, a few cheapo ponchos and a couple water bottles. Fit fine. What else do you need?

As for the, "We can't go from RD until closing!!", then DON'T! Take breaks, slow down, rest, look around as you walk. It's not a race! How much are you enjoying the family time when you've got the kids in the stroller and you're just pushing them from one thing to the next? What about walking together and enjoying the sites? Is it absolutely necessary to go all day, every day? Maybe the solution isn't a stroller--maybe the solution is a change in approach.

Of course, all of this is assuming there's not a medical need involved.

I'm very much for doing what works for your family. I'm not sure why so many posters get such joy out of telling others they parent wrong, or tour the parks wrong.

I'm not sure how you came to this erroneous conclusion. The OP ASKED for advice; none of this was unsolicited. No one here has a personal stake as to whether or not the Op uses a stroller for her kids.

Do you know how hard it can be to maneuver a stroller in big crowds? Do you really want to deal with that? I would be exhausted from pushing a kid that big in a stroller- two would probably kill me. My DS is 9 and is a big kid at 90lbs. I can't imagine pushing him in a stroller. His feet would drag the ground!

We went when DS was 5.5 (probably 45-50 lbs) and we did not take a stroller because DH said he just absolutely refused to push it. He said he would rather piggy back DS every once in a while than deal with a stroller non-stop. We had a small backpack for our stuff which DH and I took turns carrying. It worked out fine. Looking back, DS probably wouldn't have been as tired if we'd used a stroller. He had a mini-melt-down on day 4 of our trip but he refused to nap. Like PPs have said, we adjusted our touring style- but we had to adjust it more for me than for the kids. DD had just turned 10 when we went and there is no way I would have ever contemplated a stroller for her.

I'm not sure how you came to this erroneous conclusion. The OP ASKED for advice; none of this was unsolicited. No one here has a personal stake as to whether or not the Op uses a stroller for her kids.

It comes from the fact that so many posters seem to think the answer to a child who can't keep up or is tired is to take breaks. And that it is appalling that people would chose to use a stroller instead of just stopping. Why is one choice wrong? Why do so many posters act as if it is horrific?

Most replies are not of the Nope we don't chose to use them variety. They are more of the What are you thinking to consider using a stroller? Big difference in offering your thoughts and acting horrified that someone would even contemplate using a stroller.

It comes from the fact that so many posters seem to think the answer to a child who can't keep up or is tired is to take breaks. And that it is appalling that people would chose to use a stroller instead of just stopping. Why is one choice wrong? Why do so many posters act as if it is horrific?

Most replies are not of the Nope we don't chose to use them variety. They are more of the What are you thinking to consider using a stroller? Big difference in offering your thoughts and acting horrified that someone would even contemplate using a stroller.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2
We have been going for over 10 years now and have plenty of time to observe. One observation that I see at the end of the day waiting for transportation, is that we see significantly more families with kids(toddlers) that do not have a stroller dealing with melt downs, then the families with a stroller. To the families that take a lot of breaks, that's great, but I rather be walking towards my next destination at the same time my DD is taking a break.

I also think it's easier to say just take a break or slow down when Disney is a regular vacation spot. For families for whom this might be their only chance to take the kids to Disney and perhaps they're not going to be there that many days the stroller could definitely increase what they are able to accomplish. And what they are unable to see or do might be things the kids never get to experience. I think most kids are going to find characters, shows and rides the most memorable part of their trip not enjoying the sights while walking from attraction to attraction.
Also with stroller parking it's really easy to leave the stroller for awhile and only use it when going from one part of the park to another. And while my kids are much younger and therefore lighter there was no point that I felt pushing a stroller to be that difficult and we had a double with 70 lbs of kids in it.

I think you should do whatever will make the trip more enjoyable for your kids. However, unless there are health issues, I can't imagine kids that age getting in a stroller. My 2 year old preferred to walk when he could - I doubt we will use a stroller for him by the time he is 4 or 5 at the latest, and he is physically tiny. I also think having a stroller would be a pain in terms of navigating the parks - we found ourselves parking and leaving ours whenever we could.

Personally, if I had children those ages I wouldn't rent/bring a stroller just for them.. However that doesn't mean you shouldn't bring one for yours. There are a lot of factors to consider, one being when you are going.. If its summer time you might want to factor in the heat. I know mine get so much more tired and so much quicker when its hot and humid (we live in NC so we know hot and humid :)) so if your child get tired quickly then its something to consider when making the decision..

One thing you could think of is bringing a single stroller and if needed you can take it with you. If not then leave it in the hotel. Last trip I took a double and a single (4 kids, ages 7 and under) and some times we took the double, other times we took the single and still others we didn't take a stroller. It was nice having the option if we needed it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter