Stroller for a older kid

Jhp8

Earning My Ears
Looking for advice on a stoller for an older kid. My son is 6 and weighs about 55 pounds. Probably average size for his age. Does anyone know of any good strollers?

Before anyone comments, I know 100% that pushing him around in a stroller will be much better than hearing him complain about walking. He is strong-willed and lazy! I would rather plan around that so we aren't fighting it the whole time.

Following. My daughter will turn 6 during our trip, she will probably be 4ft by our trip and about the same weight. She has developed weakness in her legs post covid a few years ago so even though we don't even have/use stroller anymore, she will need one for Disney, and like you said not worth the whining when I know I'd like the option of a stroller too lol.

We used to rent a double stroller which allows an older kid to sit kind of diagonally and hop in and out. Also very handy to store stuff instead of always carrying it in a backpack, and to use as a seat for parades etc. So much so that I was a bit sad when our youngest firmly decided she did not want us to rent a stroller anymore.

We rented from the offsite companies when we were at that stage... a single BOB I think goes up to 70 lbs. It's bulky for folding with getting on/off buses, but it pushes like a dream. And we were in the same boat... we always opted for the stroller for our sanity!

I have a tall kid, at 6.5 she could "fit" into the city mini double but not with the snack tray on. We ended up just using our single for her younger sister and the 6.5 year old walked. But we had a long trip and weren't park commandos.

Honestly the double was super lopsided because it was holding a 6.5 yr old and a 2.5 year old....

A Bob stroller might work for you, but those things can be a beast to fold.

My son is 6 and 80lbs. He's about 51" and can still stuff into his BOB stroller. We just used it this weekend. He only uses it at Disney.

No judgment on a 6 year old in a stroller for Disney. Heck, my almost 11 year old competitive gymnast/dancer still asks for one!

If you can try out a city mini somewhere local it’s a great stroller, but you may be “pushing” the limits. I could get both kids in it in a pinch when my then 7 year old got tired, but it might not be ideal for the whole day. It was my favorite park stroller though.

As others have said a Bob would certainly work, but it’s a beast on the buses. That’s the last stroller that we brought before my daughter “aged out.”

I see the BOB and mini GT on Kingdom which we plan to rent from them directly at MCO. We are renting a car so won't be using any Disney busses, I am guessing the strollers still need to be folded up for the trams as well? Has anyone used the mini GT, not city as my daughter would exceed wt/ht for it to compare ease of access for folding it up, because price difference is $5 between the mini GT and bob, so looking more for convenience than anything. We will have 4 adults to 1 kiddo so hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult lol.

Last edited:
We rented from the offsite companies when we were at that stage... a single BOB I think goes up to 70 lbs. It's bulky for folding with getting on/off buses, but it pushes like a dream. And we were in the same boat... we always opted for the stroller for our sanity!
We use a single Bob. My son is right around 48 in, 55 lbs. So easy to manuever, but you are right about the fold. It is heavy and awkward to get on/off the busses, but at least you don't have to fold it for the Skyliner. We usually drive and then skip the tram and just walk from parking to avoid folding.

Citi Mini GT. We rented one from Kingdom Strollers for our 6 yr old in November. And she fell asleep in it every afternoon. So no judgment at all. Depending on the kid it can GREATLY reduce tantrums and make the trip much more enjoyable. Our youngest doesn’t do the best with a lot of noise and chaos and I think being able to tuck herself away in the stroller was perfect for her. Edit - the citi mini GT has a very easy one hand fold and is much easier to carry than a folded up BOB. We used to have a BOB at home and as a petite woman I really struggled with folding and lifting it. We took it to WDW once and my taller husband had to carry it but it just dragged on the ground for me.

Might be able to get away with a good old umbrella stroller. Debating bringing one for my glam-a-zon DD who will turn 6 during our trip. We are getting her used to long walking now but late nights at wdw are when it might be neccesary. Quick Google search said they can hold 55 pounds. Plus if you get a cheap one no harm in throwing it out at the airport on the way home....might cost less than renting a "good" one

I’d be very careful about relying on a cheap umbrella stroller. They usually fall under the category of “cheap for a reason” and are very unpleasant to push a heavy child in. I had kids in NYC until DS was in kindergarten and one of the biggest lessons I learned as a mom who put thousands of miles on my strollers is that having a GOOD quality stroller was one place where I refused to compromise.

You totally need a Dream on Me. Open box on Amazon, dirt cheap.

My seven year old can push me on it because it's so well-balanced. It's smaller and more minimal than a stroller, so harder to carry a bunch of junk, but easier to fit in a car. You can turn it with one hand, wish we'd changed over years ago.

You'll see these things everywhere at Disney for good reason. Heck, I wish we'd had it instead of the pediatric wheelchair when we went last time. Soooo useful at the airport when we had a half-asleep kid also.

I was able to snag a user BOB stroller locally for $25. Thanks for the advice. It seems the right size

You totally need a Dream on Me. Open box on Amazon, dirt cheap.

My seven year old can push me on it because it's so well-balanced. It's smaller and more minimal than a stroller, so harder to carry a bunch of junk, but easier to fit in a car. You can turn it with one hand, wish we'd changed over years ago.

You'll see these things everywhere at Disney for good reason. Heck, I wish we'd had it instead of the pediatric wheelchair when we went last time. Soooo useful at the airport when we had a half-asleep kid also.
Which style did you get? The only ones I could find had a 40-45 lb weight limit.

Looking for advice on a stoller for an older kid. My son is 6 and weighs about 55 pounds. Probably average size for his age. Does anyone know of any good strollers?
You found a used BOB for $25.00 ?
Amazing!

Last edited:
Anyone with older kids that still use a stroller? We're going in May with a 5yo and an 8yo. I'm thinking about renting a double. My daughter will be slightly above the weight limit - think it will be okay for a Citi Mini? I could get a single, but oh the fighting over the seat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter