Stroller for almost 8-year-old??

A stroller with several small kids was a life saver for us. We stretched it out to 5 or 6 just for the cargo convenience.

That being said, we get by with a backpack now. Our kids are now 10, 8 and 6. Water bottles, some snacks, ponchos or umbrellas, battery pack, sunglasses, possibly a universal emergency set of dry clothes (lol), wipes, hand sanitizer... and we just suck it up and eat in the parks. We are cheap. Our kids typically share a meal, and we make up for it by working in calories in snacks or after the park. Oh yeah... the 10 year old now has to help carry the load with a small pack. He likes the responsibility of having the micro umbrellas, a tiny camping picnic blanket, etc.

The only time this has become a challenge is late night events, when 1 or 2 of the littles would normally be crashed in the stroller, now you have to coax them to walk or carry them. A dirty little secret to help is caffeine flavored kool aid type powder for their water bottles to power thru. ;-) I'm not as young as I once was, so frankly, when the kids are tired, we will leave if there is no hope of a second wind.

I wanted to add... at Universal, we barely take anything. The lockers there are so tiny, it's easier to just go minimal. We carry a backpack with essentials, but it's uber lightweight.

Our last visit to Disney was 2 years ago and we rented a stroller from Orlando Stroller. We used the stroller everyday, but our daughter only rode in it 50-75% of the time. Do you suggest to get a stroller for this trip? It's just hard to let go of the stroller because it can hold so much. We don't use a stroller at home and haven't for many, many years. Disney is a different story though...:)

Depends on the kids! We were at DW a year ago, I had a 6 and a 7 year old and we rented a stroller. I was so happy to have it! My kids do not do a ton of walking in everyday life (well, not hours and hours of walking anyway..), and our days at DW would start at 6:30 AM and go until 10 PM. It took an hour just to get back to the parking lot at the end of the day and they were both passed out in the stroller every time. I couldn't imagine carrying kids, plus all of our crap too. It was worth having it.

JUST A WARNING
On Theme Parks Forum there is an active thread about theft from stroller today. Supposedly family had souvenirs, etc. and they were taken.

I think it’s a personal decision and no ones business what you choose for your kids and every kid is different. I had to look back at pictures to see the last time we used strollers for our kids. They were 6 & 8. Looking at the pictures, our 8 yo was rarely in it, I think we just did it for him in case he needed a break. I don’t remember anyone being rude or give us looks about it once. I can tell you on our next trip they were 8 & 10 (and strollerless) and our days were much shorter due to their exhaustion. Not only were they tired from walking but we aren’t used to the FL heat so the combination was tough on them. On the other end, I’m very happy we don’t need them anymore. They were a pain in the butt.

Every child is different - some need it at 8 especially if you do full long park days and others don’t. I love having a stroller even if the kids only use it 20% of the time. Stroller parking is fine and we often park the stroller for a white a bunch of rides the grab it as we move to the next part of the park.

This!!
Our last trip my daughter just turned 8 and my son was 5. We haven't used a stroller at home in years. We rented a double from a stroller rental company and loved having it when we needed it. The first few mornings we left it at the resort because we stay at the park until lunch and then come back to the resort for a few hours. They were tired and we needed it at night to go back out. The nights it was the best because they were exhausted and exiting parks in crowds up hill to the monorail station we would not have made it back to Polynesian. LOL At MK we usually parked it in that land and when we finished there we grabbed it.
In our experience-having a stroller was not a hassle. Easy to park and find for us. For us, we did not want to stop and take 5 million breaks. We could let them rest and snack and move to the next thing.

Do what is right for your family.
We were glad we had it when we wanted it.

Given a choice between a whining, tired 8-year old and a blissfully content 8-year old riding happily in a stroller, for me it’s “double stroller please” every time, regardless of whether anyone thinks that makes me a terrible parent.

Why would the 8 year old be whining at WDW? Are you not taking breaks, enjoying the vacation? We always go at the slowest person's pace, as that is considerate and makes for a great vacation, IMO. Also, when you are pushing a kid in a stroller, there's no interaction between the kid and the parent. Walking, you can talk about stuff, point out cool stuff to share, etc. Taking that break for an ice cream and some AC is fun too!

Also, when you are pushing a kid in a stroller, there's no interaction between the kid and the parent.
To me, that's a feature, not a bug. Sometimes it's nice to take a break from the parent-child interactions and enjoy some peace and quiet. And if the kid takes a nap in the stroller and wakes up refreshed, so much the better.

An 8 year old should be able to walk to a ride, stand in line, and then ride on a ride, wash-rinse-repeat. When you children are old enough to no longer wear a diaper, I don't understand carrying so much stuff around WDW that you need something to push it in -- assuming there are no other chronic illnesses or disabilities in your family.

This, of course, is just my opinion. Having to take a stroller, navigate around crowds with said stroller, and remember where I parked said stroller would be a nightmare. Last time I had to do it was 2009 for a niece. It was such a pain in the butt.

If you think all that hassle is easier, then, whatever. Just don't ram me with your stroller.

To me, that's a feature, not a bug. Sometimes it's nice to take a break from the parent-child interactions and enjoy some peace and quiet. And if the kid takes a nap in the stroller and wakes up refreshed, so much the better.
Sorry but if you want peace and quiet a trip to WDW with kids is not the place to be. For a break from parent-child interaction my dh and I will fly to Barbados and leave the kids with the trusty grandparents. If Barbados is to much for the wallet we will go anywhere BUT WDW... the number one destination for kids in the world. I'm also trying to figure out what kind of stroller would allow an eight year old to take a nap. Our youngest is little for her age and I can't see her sleeping in a stroller. If she needs a nap at 8 we go back to the hotel where she can sleep in a bed.

Sorry but if you want peace and quiet a trip to WDW with kids is not the place to be. For a break from parent-child interaction my dh and I will fly to Barbados and leave the kids with the trusty grandparents. If Barbados is to much for the wallet we will go anywhere BUT WDW... the number one destination for kids in the world. I'm also trying to figure out what kind of stroller would allow an eight year old to take a nap. Our youngest is little for her age and I can't see her sleeping in a stroller. If she needs a nap at 8 we go back to the hotel where she can sleep in a bed.

Love this! Totally agree with you.

That's cool, but keep in mind not everyone has the luxury of trusty grandparents to leave the kids with for a getaway. DW and I have never had anyone we could just go drop the kids off with, so you have to make the best of what's available to you. For us, we have used WDW as a trip and tried to get some peace and quiet. When they were younger, it was having them sleep in the stroller or taking them back to our rental house and letting them sleep while we chilled out. Now that they're beyond nap age, it's sending them off on their own in the park so DW and I can go do our own thing for a few hours.

That's cool, but keep in mind not everyone has the luxury of trusty grandparents to leave the kids with for a getaway. DW and I have never had anyone we could just go drop the kids off with, so you have to make the best of what's available to you. For us, we have used WDW as a trip and tried to get some peace and quiet. When they were younger, it was having them sleep in the stroller or taking them back to our rental house and letting them sleep while we chilled out. Now that they're beyond nap age, it's sending them off on their own in the park so DW and I can go do our own thing for a few hours.
I agree, our family is very fortunate to have grandparents who are able. Regardless, WDW is not the place to go if you want peace and quiet. If a reliable person is not available to watch the kids go on a cruise. At least ships have places for adults and a safe, fun place to leave children. To use this as an excuse for taking a stroller for a child who is 8 is almost funny. Healthy 8 year old children do not need to nap in a stroller while spending the day at WDW. If this is the case the parents need to slow down their touring pace and adapt. Our kids have slowed us down and we no longer commando tour. As I've said we would have to wrestle and tie our 8 year old into a stroller. An 8 year old is a 2nd or 3rd grader and perfectly able(actually more physically able than most adults)to handle walking. Take a break every so often, hydrate, feed and all is well.

I agree, our family is very fortunate to have grandparents who are able. Regardless, WDW is not the place to go if you want peace and quiet. If a reliable person is not available to watch the kids go on a cruise. At least ships have places for adults and a safe, fun place to leave children. To use this as an excuse for taking a stroller for a child who is 8 is almost funny. Healthy 8 year old children do not need to nap in a stroller while spending the day at WDW. If this is the case the parents need to slow down their touring pace and adapt. Our kids have slowed us down and we no longer commando tour. As I've said we would have to wrestle and tie our 8 year old into a stroller. An 8 year old is a 2nd or 3rd grader and perfectly able(actually more physically able than most adults)to handle walking. Take a break every so often, hydrate, feed and all is well.

It's very interesting to read different perspectives. I totally agree that in the traditional sense most people wouldn't think of WDW as peace and quiet. At the same time, to me a vacation is what you make of it, no matter where you are. You mention going on a cruise to get peace and quiet. For us, that would be utterly b-o-r-i-n-g. We don't drink, aren't big eaters and probably wouldn't enjoy being stuck at a table with strangers. On the other hand, we love Vegas. Not only do we not drink, we don't gamble, but we still love the place. Odd, huh? Anyhow, for us WDW can be "go, go, go" and peace and quiet at the same time. The parks are busy, we're fortunate to have been there a lot, so go at our own pace. Sometimes we're run, run, run for rides. Sometimes we're there to saunter around and take it all in. We've had a babysitter available while we're in WDW, so that gave DW and I some peace and quiet to go do our own thing (taking a ride on the Liberty Square Riverboat alone is bliss). Or staying off property and having a 4 bedroom, two story town house also allows for peace and quiet. Now that they're older, they also can go off on their own, so that's more peace and quiet for us. WDW can be relaxing, because that's how we choose it to be.

As for putting an 8 year old in a stroller, in "normal" circumstances, of course we'd never do it. We stopped using them at home when they were like 3. But WDW is a different animal. We never had to wrestle them to do it, even at 8. They were more than happy to get Ubered around. Just my opinion, but barring medical conditions, an 8 year old should not have more energy or stamina than their parents. Our 11 year olds, and even 14 year old, probably still don't...and they're year round sports players. No, they won't nap in a stroller for sure, but using one is just a personal decision.

Yes, count your blessings to have grandparents to go drop the kids off and jet to a tropical destination. DW and I haven't had an overnight alone in literally 10 years. Want to take them? A day, week, month???? :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter