Stroller rules to be enforced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our first trip without a stroller was the best trip ever. I’m not sure why parents cling to the stroller so much (not parents of special needs kiddos.) My guess is fear of the unknown. I was hesitant to give it up thinking where was I going to store my stuff? But I realized I didn’t need the kitchen sink. It’s so freeing being strollerless and just carrying a small bag.

I didn’t see any of these Keenz wagons or fancy carriage type strollers last year. I will be interested in the enforcement during my trip this summer.

We had a stroller for our first 2 trips. It was so freeing not be tied down to one.
When we had the stroller, my oldest used it when she was 8 but she is a type 1 diabetic and it was a great place for her to rest when she was high or low.
I have seen CM’s stop a wagon and explain to a parent that it wasn’t allowed and sent them back out. I cheered.

ETA: I was wrong! Just ignore below. Thanks!

99% confident this is only about the huge specialty strollers like posted earlier.

This has nothing to do with Keenz. Those are well within dimensions.

Push/pull distinction is in what the adult can and cannot see. You can't see how wide you are turning and what you're turning into when pulling a wagon behind (and if you're looking behind at the stroller you're not looking ahead where you're walking), but you can see everything in front of you. It's *not* about semantics.

There are certainly some space issues within the parks and Disney has been working on ways to park strollers safely. Len Testa and Jim Hill even mentioned on their podcast (months ago) that Disney toyed around with removing an entire retail location just to build more stroller parking in DL ahead of SWGE. They also ran a pilot in AK last year to create a system for strollers to be moved within designated areas but know where the stroller would be (colored tags corresponding to different areas). Disney has only shown that it's looked to 1) better accommodate strollers without having them "in the way" and 2) reduce strollers that do not meet an already generous size limitation. Enforcement of existing rules will effect very few people.

Anyway, it's been disappointing to see people, including Len Testa himself, speaking about things they have little knowledge about and conflating facts, opinions, and conjectures.

Last edited:

Sadly, We see 9 year olds in strollers....seriously, that's just wrong..lol

Did you take the time to ask the parents why the child needed the stroller first? Or did you just judge them without stopping to consider the plethora of reasons an older child might need a stroller, remembering that many diseases/disorders etc... are invisible?

Anyway, it's been disappointing to see people, including Len Testa himself, speaking about things they have little knowledge about and conflating facts, opinions, and conjectures.

Oooh yes. Everyone is an expert at how other parents should parent their children, what they should and shouldn't do; what other children do and don't need etc... Oh yes, and stroller measurements.

The ironic thing is that in today's world, we're all about all children are individuals, they have different personalities and needs, different development timelines etc... But only until it comes to strollers I guess. Then all children are carbon copies with the same stroller-usage expiry date ;)

Last edited:
Did you take the time to ask the parents why the child needed the stroller first? Or did you just judge them without stopping to consider the plethora of reasons an older child might need a stroller, remembering that many diseases/disorders etc... are invisible?
Somethings are fairly black and white.....a 9 year old doesn't need a stroller....i mean really.
In all the years i have seen and been with families with kids that have disabilities....need a stroller isn't one of them. At some point a line has to be drawn. Not everything is acceptable.
And, its an observation..not a judgement. Big difference.
But, to answer your question...When the kids gets out of the stroller and runs to get in line...
Yeah, ridiculous to be in one at that age. Laziness plays a huge part in it. You didn't see the need for all these strollers in the past...Len Testa was spot on. There is another pod cast out right now basically saying the same thing.."Come on mom and dad..they are getting too old for this..."
Bottom line..folks are just getting tired of too big and too many strollers.
Actually, If you are too old to get in free...then no stroller rental. That would simplify it.

Last edited:

Why are parents so worried that their kids can't walk several miles a day? Kids have WAY more stamina than most adults. The kids who spend all day being pushed around in strollers are the same ones running around restaurants acting crazy because they have so much pent up energy. Make those kids walk from a young age and you will have the best behaved kids ever when you sit down to eat, because they will be grateful for the opportunity to sit and relax.

Oir kids are both autistic. The younger one has low muscle tone. Even with that, we ditched the stroller when my youngest was 4. We worked up to walking several miles in the parks. He wasn't going go get any stronger by being pushed around. Sometimes at the parks, he says "my feet are hurting" and I say to him "mine are too, you want to leave?" All of a sudden, he's fine. We take breaks and sit down several times. We don't push anyone further than their limits. When we are tired, we leave. Why is this such a hard thing for families to do?

The stroller situation is out of control in the parks and I'm glad Disney will be enforcing their own rules.
Agreed. OBVIOUSLY the powers to be see the issue also...It's insane.
Glad your child got strong and can do all these fun things Disney and life has to offer. Kudos.

Somethings are fairly black and white.....a 9 year old doesn't need a stroller....i mean really.
In all the years i have seen and been with families with kids that have disabilities....need a stroller isn't one of them. At some point a line has to be drawn. Not everything is acceptable.
And, its an observation..not a judgement. Big difference.
But, to answer your question...When the kids gets out of the stroller and runs to get in line...
Yeah, ridiculous to be in one at that age. Laziness plays a huge part in it. You didn't see the need for all these strollers in the past...Len Testa was spot on. There is another pod cast out right now basically saying the same thing.."Come on mom and dad..they are getting too old for this..."
Bottom line..folks are just getting tired of too big and too many strollers.
Actually, If you are too old to get in free...then no stroller rental. That would simplify it.

When you say it's wrong, it becomes a judgement. And yeah I agree, some kids definitely could do without them. But yes, there are older kids that DO need them, whether you think so or not.

It's about time for this policy change. With overcrowded parks almost year round, especially MK, something had to give. Stroller sizes were getting ridiculous. However, I hope guests will have sufficient warning/notice before arriving at park checkpoints so they don't have to go all the way back to their cars or hotels to return their too large strollers.

I wonder if blocking the keenz has more with bringing a ton of stuff and slowing down security than it's actually size.

I know if we didn't have a wheelchair, we wouldn't bring in a small cooler with some water and soda. Before wheelchair, we went in bagless with a single bottle of water.

It's about time for this policy change. With overcrowded parks almost year round, especially MK, something had to give. Stroller sizes were getting ridiculous. However, I hope guests will have sufficient warning/notice before arriving at park checkpoints so they don't have to go all the way back to their cars or hotels to return their too large strollers.

They already have notice. It’s listed in their policies on the website. It’s the guests responsibility to know the rules and they’ve allowed plenty of time for this to go into effect.

The real problem is when outside vendors advertise to their customers that their products are within guidelines when they clearly are not- as one already has. I’d make note of that and be sure not to use them.

They already have notice. It’s listed in their policies on the website. It’s the guests responsibility to know the rules and they’ve allowed plenty of time for this to go into effect.

The real problem is when outside vendors advertise to their customers that their products are within guidelines when they clearly are not- as one already has. I’d make note of that and be sure not to use them.
Agreed. I'm not worried about people being given personal notification in advance.

However, I hope guests will have sufficient warning/notice before arriving at park checkpoints so they don't have to go all the way back to their cars or hotels to return their too large strollers.

Disney will be providing storage for those unable to return to their hotel or car. (Something they’ve actually done all along for banned wagons.)

This is a great move, those wagons are a menace, and were technically always banned anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter