Stroller/wheelchair for 6yo

UnderTheRialto

Mouseketeer
My son is 6.5 and has had two open heart surgeries. While he doesn’t ever use a stroller at home, I have a feeling he will get really tired from the walking during our upcoming trip.

He’s very big for his age (56”+ and about 60-65lbs). On our last trip a year ago, we crammed him into a Summit x3 double with his sister by removing the shade, but I think he’s simply too big now.

Suggestions? Wheelchair rental as needed? I’m thinking that’s our only option.

We will have our uppababy vista for DD4 but that is definitely too small for him.

We are staying at the Contemporary.

Have you looked at Pediatric Mobility Strollers? A few of the medical rental places have a wide selection. Depending on what you are looking for something like a Liberty or a Special Tomato would be similar to a standard stroller. An Ottobock ecobuggy I think is akin to an umbrella. We have a Maclaren Major Elite at home which is similar and definitely fits a child this size no problem.

my 9 year old (also with heart disease) has used an adaptive stroller for longer distances since she was 6. we use the convaid, it's like a larger, sturdier umbrella stroller that holds up to 100 pounds. I know you can rent them, although I don't know the names of the companies

My son is 6.5 and has had two open heart surgeries. While he doesn’t ever use a stroller at home, I have a feeling he will get really tired from the walking during our upcoming trip.

He’s very big for his age (56”+ and about 60-65lbs). On our last trip a year ago, we crammed him into a Summit x3 double with his sister by removing the shade, but I think he’s simply too big now.

Suggestions? Wheelchair rental as needed? I’m thinking that’s our only option.

We will have our uppababy vista for DD4 but that is definitely too small for him.

We are staying at the Contemporary.

Like @redberyl and @WonderlandisReality, I would look at renting a speciality stroller if I were in your position. When you get to your first Park, go to Guest Relations, and get the "Stroller as a wheelchair" tag - and have a great trip!

my 9 year old (also with heart disease) has used an adaptive stroller for longer distances since she was 6. we use the convaid, it's like a larger, sturdier umbrella stroller that holds up to 100 pounds. I know you can rent them, although I don't know the names of the companies
follow the link in my signature or look near the top of this board for the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
Post 2 of that thread has information on renting mobility devices, including special needs strollers. That post has names and links to different companies.

My son is also 6 and big for his age. He's about 50-52" and 65 lbs. For our trip next month, we've rented the Liberty stroller from Kingdom Strollers. It looks comfortable. We paid 165 for 9 nights/10 days, including tax and optional insurance.
I don't know how much a wheelchair rental is, but if it's comparable, I'd vote for stroller rental. I think the stroller will be more comfortable for sitting and for pushing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter