Strollers- buy or rent?

JnoMoremoney

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! My family is making our first trip to Disney next year with our 6 and 4 year olds. We hope this trip will be the first of many. Our current double stroller is not great and very difficult to push.

My question is- would you purchase a nice (and pricey) new jogging stroller so you have it at the airport and future trips OR do you rent a stroller when you get to Disney for this trip and any future trips?

Curious to hear when your children stopped using the stroller and were able to fully walk throughout the day! Thank you for all your help!

With those ages, I'd be inclined to rent. Unless A) one or both are runners and you'd be chasing them through the airport or B) you use a double regularly at home.

Rent. Our kids used a stroller on our last trip at ages 8 and 5, but not in the airport or anywhere else. Only Disney parks. Our next trip will be when they’re 10 and 7and will be our first stroller-free. If you need the 4 year old in a stroller at the airport I would bring a lightweight umbrella stroller. So much easier to deal with and then you can fold it and leave it in the room at Disney.

I would check out FB Marketplace/Offer Up/5 miles for a used Joovy Ultralight Caboose 2. It's a sit and stand that weighs about 10 lbs less than most and folds down to about half the thickness of others. It is an amazing Disney stroller. If you have it at the airport you can use it as a luggage cart/backpack storage/cupholder. In my area they go for $80-$100 used, I think that's about the same price as renting, but then you can sell it.

I guess it depends on how much you will use it. For me a 4 year old is one you'd probably get some more use out of the stroller or can sell it. I prefer the deluxe umbrella strollers because they're light and easy making it quick to get on and off trams and such.

To rent a single stroller you're looking at $60+ for your trip. You can buy nicer umbrella strollers for about $45 each. When my kids were 4 we also really liked being able to contain them at the airport. The strollers fly free and you can keep it in the airport which makes like way easier flying.

My oldest was a walker when he was 6. We had younger kids in strollers then so if they got out and walked he'd take a ride in the stroller.

We always also planned to come back after lunchtime for naps so he would get a good break mid-day.

I agree with a PP about checking FB marketplace for a gently used one. I was able to pick up a second City Mini GT for $125 that was basically brand new. I used my City Mini GT2 at home and don't have to worry about how it would fare traveling through the hands of airport baggage handlers. The one off marketplace is our travel one and the one that my parents use when watching my son.

I would also recommend looking on Facebook marketplace and similar. Buy for a good price and sell for similar when you're done. If you have time to find a good deal you could most likely get one for $100 or less.

Agree with what the above posters said about FB marketplace. We got a single Bob stroller for $70 and an Englacha Jr. X-Rider seat to attach onto it for $25.

When I went with kids ages 5 & 2, I purchased a sit/stand stroller second hand. The kids were about the same size and took turns sitting and standing.

when we got home I sold it. I think I made money on it, and you don’t have to mess around with stroller rentals.

I haven’t used a stroller since that trip (2011!)... but I know since then Disney has had some limits on sizes of strollers... not sure of the current rules.

For my early June trip with my two four-year old children, I brought our double umbrella stroller (we have had it for a while and it was very affordable), which I didn't really need in the airport for our flight to MCO as my kids had a ton of energy. I then rented the BOB Revolution Dualie stroller because I wanted something easy to push and navigate. Coming back home, we definitely needed the umbrella stroller for the MCO and home airports, as my kids were tired!

If I were to do it again, I'd rent the City Mini GT double stroller. I loved the BOB but it's so large and tricky to fold up.

My kids are 3 and 5. For the past few years, we have rented a double city mini GT. I think for your kids ages renting makes sense. My kids don't ever use a stroller besides Disney. They don't need a stroller in the airport and I'm happier not to have to deal with one. Renting is seamless and easy. I have used Orlando Stroller Rentals and Kingdom Strollers. Both are awesome. Technically I would probably save money by buying one, especially since we hope to have a third child, but I like how renting has worked for us. I have Graco strollers for home use, but the city mini is superior for the parks due to the better awning, recline, handling, etc.

For my early June trip with my two four-year old children, I brought our double umbrella stroller (we have had it for a while and it was very affordable), which I didn't really need in the airport for our flight to MCO as my kids had a ton of energy. I then rented the BOB Revolution Dualie stroller because I wanted something easy to push and navigate. Coming back home, we definitely needed the umbrella stroller for the MCO and home airports, as my kids were tired!

If I were to do it again, I'd rent the City Mini GT double stroller. I loved the BOB but it's so large and tricky to fold up.
I forgot to add: since we didn't need the umbrella stroller in the airport for our flight to MCO, it was still nice to use it for hand carry backpacks and bags!

We rented a nice one from one of the rental companies when my son was 5 & 7. He had long since abandoned the stroller at home. On each trip, for much of the day, the stroller was just pushed empty. It was worth every penny spent through for those times when he decided we had walked to far or it was too hot.

I’d be reluctant to spend $$$ on a double at those ages, although a second-hand could run you the same as renting. I might go that route if I found a deal.

My youngest two are 6 and almost 4 and we just sold our double. It was a Britax B-Agile double, almost identical to the City Mini Double. It was a good stroller but my middle was adamant he no longer needed it (and has done some single day theme park trips without one). I ended up buying a rider board for our BOB that I plan to use for our next trip.

If you do end up buying or renting, take their sizes into account. A sit-n-stand would not be practical for us due to their sizes (they’ve been too big for one of those for some time). Same with a double umbrella style. I’d only consider a double jogger at their size.

We rented one for the entire stay from Disney. They are at the front of each park. We got the double stroller for our 3 kids. 4 1/2-6yrs. They took turns sitting in them. You just leave them on your way out of the park and you just pick one up a the next park the same way. Just show them your receipt. No lugging strollers on and off the busses etc...

I would check out FB Marketplace/Offer Up/5 miles for a used Joovy Ultralight Caboose 2. It's a sit and stand that weighs about 10 lbs less than most and folds down to about half the thickness of others. It is an amazing Disney stroller. If you have it at the airport you can use it as a luggage cart/backpack storage/cupholder. In my area they go for $80-$100 used, I think that's about the same price as renting, but then you can sell it.
This is the stroller we used.. it really is the greatest.

We bought ours used off CL for $50 its $250 new so already a great deal... but two years later I sold it for $50.
Even when my older kid out grew it we kept using it to hold stuff and the younger kid on the standing pad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter