Stromboli's Restorante what caused it to close at Disneyland Hotel?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
In the 80's-90's Disneyland Hotel had an Italian restaurant named Stromboli's Restorante that had great Italian food and had a Pinocchio theme but I heard that it closed when Disneyland Hotel did it's renovation and Goofy's Kitchen moved into the building where Stromboli's was. Why did Stromboli's Restorante close? I never heard the actual truth and my mom and I were talking about it the other day

No conspiracy or anything, it was just closed along with a bunch of other places like the Monorail Cafe during a large overhaul. While it was all being redone they chose to retheme the spot to Goofy's Kitchen, possibly for broader appeal.

Time marches on….tastes change. I’m sure they figured a wider variety of food would appeal to more people, and a buffet would move people through faster than a sit down and order restaurant.

20 years from now we’ll be having a “what was the reason they got rid of Goofy’s kitchen” conversation.

Time marches on….tastes change. I’m sure they figured a wider variety of food would appeal to more people, and a buffet would move people through faster than a sit down and order restaurant.

20 years from now we’ll be having a “what was the reason they got rid of Goofy’s kitchen” conversation.
Do we have to wait 20 years?

I loved that restaurant. At the time, there was water below it so it hung out over a "harbor" and not concrete. I'm not a fan of buffets but I suspect they make a lot more money with the character meals. Screenshot_20240111_064852_Google.jpg

It was really cool! Over to the right in that pic where the hoop is in the water were little boats you could pay a quarter to drive around. We loooooved that as kids!
I also have fond memories of driving the boats around when I was a kid.

We used to occasionally visit the Disneyland Hotel grounds just for fun when we were visiting friends in Orange County. It was so much more of a destination then!

Also, Goofy’s Kitchen was already a Disneyland Hotel restaurant before the changes. It was in the building on the other side of the Adventure tower that was torn down to build Downtown Disney. My husband was “a friend of” Goofy at the character breakfasts in the early 90’s.

As a kid, we went to DL a few times. It was always just 1 day in the middle of a road trip going somewhere else. And we'd stay somewhere like Motel 6 (not as scary back then as it is today). The closest I ever got to the DLH was riding the monorail roundtrip & being super jealous of the people that boarded at that stop, who were staying at the hotel. I always dreamt of getting to go to DL for more than just one day & getting to stay at THE DISNEYLAND HOTEL!!!

Thus my obsession began. And it reached it's pinnacle this week when I bought DVC points at VDH.

Disney didn't buy the hotel until 1988, until then it was privately owned. Stromboli's closed in 1999 and changed to Goofy's.

I wish they would reopen the steakhouse. I was hoping that would happen. Just read where Tortilla Jo’s is closing in a few months. I know that DD has new restaurants opening this year but they’re leaving slim pickings for the time being.

I wish they would reopen the steakhouse. I was hoping that would happen. Just read where Tortilla Jo’s is closing in a few months. I know that DD has new restaurants opening this year but they’re leaving slim pickings for the time being.
I agree. Last time we were there the only place you could just walk up to and eat was Tortillo Jo's quick service. We ended up picking up all our off day meals outside of downtown as there is just not much there to eat at unless you want to spend a few hours eating!

Money

If you ever ask why is Disney doing X...99 Percent of the time its money the 1% other is because of laws...lol

I really don't understand why they've not put in at least one other dining option at DLH. Steakhouse 55 was wonderful, but it's now a lounge primarily for the new DVC wing, I think, though it's open to the public right now. It's not a true dining spot and it's only open at night. DLH used to have several good restaurants, though that was before they chopped off a lot of the grounds for DTD.

They have added a new dining spot to the DLR in the Palm Breeze…so there’s 3 sit down plus the lounge. I’d also like to see the steakhouse reopen though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter