Struggling to decide... cruising in January? VGT?

sjuncfan

Mouseketeer
We have a cruise scheduled for April and are considering moving it to January. I posted a couple months ago and am still on the fence. I was basically all set to change it and then got spooked by the new variants. I'm not so worried about us getting sick but more the hassle if anything changes with the cruise (cancellation, which I doubt... or changing ports or an outbreak while we're sailing). I need to make the change soon since it's now just over a month out. There are a few compelling reasons to move it... It's a SWDAS, it's cheaper, getting away in January is awesome, etc.

So I guess I'm wondering... are people getting spooked about sailing in the next couple months?

And the bigger question... if we do change it, we are strongly considering VGT because there are some great deals out there. Is there any downside to booking VGT? I'm sort of assuming we're within the window where we can't change anything anyhow so the restrictions might be irrelevant. Is that true? We have always picked our stateroom when we've sailed before.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

We had this exact same dilemma - including first time doing VGT - for an Oct 2021 cruise. So glad we went for it - and we had to fly across the country with an unvaxxed child and do all the extra testing etc.

Was still soooo worth it. Life is short - go while you can.

We can't discuss really any portion of COVID and Vaccination.

I would simply say I would 100% cruise in January over April and its not even a relatively close decision. Only reason we are looking at March/April for a cruise now is because we are going to WDW in January.

The only reason I would choose April over January (if I didn't have plans in January already) would be if April was significantly less expensive.

I was planning for May and moved to a MDAS Jan cruise, VGT on the Magic. I am really looking forward to it and saved about 1,000 on the same itinerary.

I booked VGT 4-days on the Dream last week for 3rd week in January. Non-refundable, but I got insurance. Yes, I'm concerned about the variants (in the sense of travel disruption), but I've been mostly at home since March 2020 and I can't take another day (also DS was able to receive his vaccine, so I now feel comfortable flying with him).

Thanks for the input. I'm on hold with the travel agent now (who is on hold with DCL as we speak). I'm switching it but not sure i'll be able to get the VGT since I'm within 120 days of the April sail date. We shall see...

The major selling points are lower capacity (hopefully), SWDAS, warm weather getaway in January, and since it's cheaper we'll have a ton of future cruise credit left to play with (this is a reschedule from March 2020...)

Real-time update - she came back and it does sound like we're able to get the VGT.... may end up on the Wish this summer with the remaining cruise credit and the placeholder we are no longer using since we're getting the VGT ;-)

We moved up from the Nov 22 southern caribbean to a VGT on the Dream at the end of Jan.

I didn't want to lose my FCC, and I still feel uncertain about flying in to Puerto Rico, cruising, and then flying back from PR. A half day drive to Orlando seems like a better choice for now. We'll push the Southern Caribbean back a year or two.

January AND April. Although wearing a mask indoors is a pain, it is pretty minor. The ships right now are sailing with reduced passenger count and it is really nice onboard. Islands have some restrictions that change possibly even while you are sailing. You need to be flexible. Five weeks of cruising so far this year on two cruise lines and another in a week or so coming up. Have cruises booked for February (2), April (2), June (1) and October (2).

We sailed VGT in Sept 2019, Aug 2021 and last week. All 3 were great cabin selections. Deck 6 midship. It's no guarantee but I wouldn't hesitate to book VGT again. Both 2021 cruises were booked at the last minute.

As for April vs. January, I'm surprised everyone is saying January. If you're stopping at CC, it can be chilly in Jan. Also if you need to fly, I'd allow some extra time besides just flying the day prior. All it takes is snow in Denver or Chicago to muck up the whole schedule. Even if your airport doesn't have snow, it's possible the plane that will be flying to your airport for your flight will be coming from a snowy area.
Many years ago, before smart phones and 9-11, we had snow at PHL while we were in WDW. Good thing my parents were paying attention and met us at the gate to pick us up. We had no idea all the snow they had and somehow my dad knew that my car would be completely plowed in. He and dh returned the next day to dig my car out.

JMHO but personally, I like holding out til spring. It gives me something to look forward to while I scrape ice off my windshield.

We have a cruise scheduled for April and are considering moving it to January. I posted a couple months ago and am still on the fence. I was basically all set to change it and then got spooked by the new variants. I'm not so worried about us getting sick but more the hassle if anything changes with the cruise (cancellation, which I doubt... or changing ports or an outbreak while we're sailing). I need to make the change soon since it's now just over a month out. There are a few compelling reasons to move it... It's a SWDAS, it's cheaper, getting away in January is awesome, etc.

So I guess I'm wondering... are people getting spooked about sailing in the next couple months?

And the bigger question... if we do change it, we are strongly considering VGT because there are some great deals out there. Is there any downside to booking VGT? I'm sort of assuming we're within the window where we can't change anything anyhow so the restrictions might be irrelevant. Is that true? We have always picked our stateroom when we've sailed before.

Thanks in advance for your insight.
I'm sailing VGT in January. I sailed VGT in October and it was wonderful, and the rates were still low, so I decided to go back sooner rather than later.

Imo the biggest downside to booking VGT is that you run a slight risk of being assigned a handicapped-accessible stateroom, which has an unusual room configuration, as well as no bathtub, just a shower with no lip that gets the whole bathroom floor wet every time you shower. I'm the particular type who dislikes that kind of thing. If you're more easy going, then it won't be a problem. The low price was worth it for me despite the risk.

Last edited:
Booked end of January on the Magic. O lyntime I can afford a Veranda. Not afraid of Covid and ready to live on

Was tentatively planning on doing a Jan or Feb cruise but now doesn't look like it.
Did the Wonder in October but didn't have to fly. I'm going to watch cases closely
and might still book. The ship doesn't scare but getting across country to it does.

*I guess we can always go to WDW if someone tests positive but reading some recent
trip reports that seems like a headache. *** I mean hotel isolation until negative test. Then
venture out.

Last edited:
I wrote that wrong I apologize. I meant stay around until that person posts negative and THEN
go to parks. I'm more hyped out than anyone around a positive person.

I wrote that thinking about on another board where someone from Uk tested positive a day after they arrived.
Rest of family was negative. That person stayed in hotel for 6 days until they tested negative. Rest
of family never tested positive. All vaccinated. Made me wonder.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter