1/2 teaspoon pepper

Sauce
3 cups chicken broth
3 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup each of tomato paste and finely chopped onion
1/3 cup golden raisins
4 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon each of paprika, salt and pepper

In large pot, bring the water and salt to a boil. Cut out core from bottom of cabbage. Remove 12 large outer leaves from cabbage. Add leaves to boiling water, simmer 3 minutes or until pliable. Drain in colander Separate smaller leaves from remaining cabbage.

Stuffing: In large bowl, mix ingredients.

Sauce: In medium bowl, whisk chicken broth, 2 Tablespoon lemon juice and the tomato paste to dissolve paste. Add onion, raisins, 2 teaspoons sugar, the paprika, salt and pepper.

Line bottom of a wide 8 quart pot with small cabbage leaves in an even layer. Place 1 large cabbage leaf on work surface with thick end closest to you. Place
1/2 cup stuffing across center, shaping mixture into thick log. Fold sides of leaf over ends of stuffing, roll up from near end. Place seam side down, on top of
cabbage leaves in pot. Stuff remaining large cabbage leaves.

Pour sauce over cabbage rolls in pot. Bring sauce to a boil. Cover pot, simmer 2.5 hours, until cabbage is very tender, basting rolls with sauce occasionally.

With slotted spoon, remove rolls to warm serving platter. Discard cabbage leaves from bottom of pot (it tastes too good to discard!). Boil remaining sauce 10 minutes or until reduced by half. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 2 teaspoon sugar. Place 2
rolls on each of 6 plates, spooning some sauce over each serving.

(The cabbage rolls are huge so it makes more than six servings. I believe they are low-fat too!)

My mother makes stuffed cabbage too. I remember helping her stuff them when I was growing up. She hasn't made them in a while. Think I'm going have to make a batch.

Thanks for posting the recipe. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter