Stupid names for a child

The most unique name I ever encountered was in College when I met a man named Enoch just because it was not really a typical name for our area so I had never heard it before. Until he explained it, I just was befuddled at how to spell it, where it was from etc :)

I still think Frank Zappa wins for odd kids names.

Do you remember in the Rock Hudson movie Giant when he had sons at the end and they were named Jordan? I thought that was weird

Seems to be the thing now to give a child a stupid name. Or a name that you can’t tell by the name if it’s a male or female.

Many names started out more one gender but now are both. Some names I can think of in our schools:

Jordan
Taylor
Reagan
Cameron
Michah
Michael/Mikel
Riley
Ryan
Dylan

Just to name a few.

But what is the big deal? My son has one of the names listed above but it is because it is a family name, not because I wanted it to be ambiguous.

The most unique name I ever encountered was in College when I met a man named Enoch just because it was not really a typical name for our area so I had never heard it before. Until he explained it, I just was befuddled at how to spell it, where it was from etc :)

I had an Enoch in my class in high school. I don't find it strange at all. Maybe a little "dated" but not strange. It is a Biblical name.

I think the weirdest name I've ever heard that NOONE questioned had to be the NASCAR driver, "Dick Trickel". I mean, the parents knew, right?

I prefer unique names to just naming your kid after yourself - and that's pretty common. I would hate that with the passion of a thousand suns if my parents had done that to me though.

there is a urologist in Toledo named Richard "Dick" Tapper. :crazy:

I once had a student named Arreola. She was Latina, but still.....I could not call her that.

It’s really no different than having an Aunt Fanny or Uncle Dick. You wouldn’t think what those words could also represent every time you interact,
We had a student whose name was Margarita. One teacher refused to call her by her name because alcohol and names of alcohol were against school and district rules.

We explained to said teacher that Margarita was a Latin name meaning Pearl or flower. She still refused until we went to our admin because the teacher was humiliating the student.

Same teacher had a cow when students began wearing "Coors Field" shirts when the Rockies moved from Mile High.

Ivy. Innocent enough, until you learn that the parents had run out of ideas and, being the fourth child, she was called so because it matched Roman numerals...

I feel sorry for school teachers today with all the weird names and weird spelling! Crazy!
The first day of school is hard for teachers! We all want to respect our students and start on a positive note, but when the parents have ignored phonics or made up a downright weird spelling ... it's hard to do.
Both sound lovely. The Ocean I know is a boy, but I think it would work for a girl too, so would say it’s unisex.
I've heard some young people saying they "must" give their child a unisex name ... in case he or she turns out to be trans. Seems silly. The chances are tiny, and changing a name really wouldn't be a major issue.
... That doesn't make them "weird names". And I'm seeing more and more that second-and-third generations of families who immigrated here DO NOT try to anglicize their names like the people probably felt they had to when they first arrived.
Most of this thread isn't about non-English names. It's about parents purposefully changing the spelling to make names unusual or different.
Sparkle Champaign
I've taught several Brandys, one Tequila, a Daquiri, a couple Margaritas and even one Hennessey.

But Enoch is from the Bible. That's traditional, even if it's a name that's fallen out of fashion.

Not necessarily a name. But it irritates me when I hear people call their kids “Buddy”. Like why not call your kid their given name. Unless of course, Buddy actually is their name, lol.

I had an excerise instructor whose last name was Po**. The priest at the school she was teaching at refused to call her that and starts calling her mrs P. I’m not sure if that’s any better

I wonder if people have started to name their sons Anson due to Anson Mount and Star Trek Strange New World? Because the first time I heard that name was because of actor Anson Williams from Happy Days. Was Anson a new name at the time and where did it come from because I know there's a name Ansel due to photographer Ansel Adams so i'm wondering if Anson is related to the name Ansel?

Thought of this thread today. My niece in the UK had her baby this morning. They named her Una, which I'm sure many of you here wouldn't like! I'm fine with it. My niece is into Irish lore, and I found this online - Una is the fairy queen of Tipperary

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter