• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sturgis Motorcycle Rally...HUGE Crowds expected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, the difference I've seen is in the wearing of the masks. They have found that very specific behaviors like spending more than x number of minutes with people, being unmasked, inter-state travel, being inside, singing, "partying", etc. lead to a higher level of transmission. That makes some activities more dangerous than others.

There has been plenty of scolding and finger wagging to go around for everyone and you'll see it if you make a point of listening to multiple sources of info. Most demonstrations still spring up quickly and come and go before a whole lot of discussion can be held. Highly publicized, long planned gatherings that last for many days are going to get talked about - especially as most events like that all around the world are cancelled.

Last edited:
Some people seem to mistakenly think only singing in church has been discouraged. School choirs and vocal groups, musicals, concerts ... so many group activities that involve people singing in close quarters have been put on indefinite hold. Many states also have put restrictions on gathering in bars without taking protective measures. No one is targeting worshippers, music lovers or drinkers as a conspiracy to silence/stop them.

I’m just sick and tired of the hypocrisy and so are many other people. It’s perfectly fine to protest and loot and riot and create mayhem and destruction in large groups but don’t you dare....sing in church? Seriously?

Same goes for the bikers. Somehow their mass gathering is bad. I guess too much property stayed intact.
Yay, more hyperbole. That appears to be common these days. If we don't have facts, let's create our own. :rolleyes: I haven't heard anyone say looting & rioting is okay. The legitimate protesters don't even think that. In my city, the vast majority of protestors wore masks at outdoor protests. The bikers made it clear that they wouldn't be wearing masks or social distancing & would be having indoor events. It has been proven that indoor activities are more dangerous than outdoor activities. The two situations aren't comparable.

Yay, more hyperbole. That appears to be common these days. If we don't have facts, let's create our own. :rolleyes: I haven't heard anyone say looting & rioting is okay. The legitimate protesters don't even think that. In my city, the vast majority of protestors wore masks at outdoor protests. The bikers made it clear that they wouldn't be wearing masks or social distancing & would be having indoor events. It has been proven that indoor activities are more dangerous than outdoor activities. The two situations aren't comparable.

I guess you missed this message from the protest organizers and the signs they hold up. Looks like they are saying it is okay to me.

BAFD9C1E-B482-4E7E-B073-E8252A98C899.jpeg

“A Black Lives Matter Chicago organizer said Monday that the mobs who vandalized and looted downtown businesses the night before did nothing wrong, calling it “reparations” for Black suffering.

“That is reparations,” Ariel Atkins, an organizer, told NBC Chicago. “Anything they wanted to take, they can take it because these businesses have insurance.”

Where are the warnings that the protests, etc (big etc) are not safe and a very real threat in the spreading of Covid? You know, the same warning any other group gets?

Where is the scolding and treating the protesters like dirty little kids for gathering en masse and risking transmission of potentially fatal disease? You know, the scolding and finger wagging the bikers got?

There's actually been multiple news articles about the protests, they haven't linked the spread to it because it's all held outdoors and the majority were wearing masks. It actually gave alot of scientific information to our medical experts about ways to prevent spread while still being able to experience activities outdoors. Higher concentration of spreads are occurring when indoors for a long period of time and the majority of people are without masks.

There's actually been multiple news articles about the protests, they haven't linked the spread to it because it's all held outdoors and the majority were wearing masks. It actually gave alot of scientific information to our medical experts about ways to prevent spread while still being able to experience activities outdoors. Higher concentration of spreads are occurring when indoors for a long period of time and the majority of people are without masks.
Hard to know if a case came from attending protests if you don't ask if they participated.

Where are the warnings that the protests, etc (big etc) are not safe and a very real threat in the spreading of Covid? You know, the same warning any other group gets?

Where is the scolding and treating the protesters like dirty little kids for gathering en masse and risking transmission of potentially fatal disease? You know, the scolding and finger wagging the bikers got?
In my city, the protest organizers insisted on masks and social distancing as much as possible during protests. Many of the protests were car caravans because of COVID. The protests were peaceful and the protesters didn't get drunk, loot, or party. My city's newspaper and political leadership are quite conservative and it would have made the front page if there was an increase in COVID cases after the protests. No such article or news report has appeared.

Hard to know if a case came from attending protests if you don't ask if they participated.

It's contact tracing in specific communities where protests occurred and coronavirus linked back to those area hospitals.

In my city, the protest organizers insisted on masks and social distancing as much as possible during protests. Many of the protests were car caravans because of COVID. The protests were peaceful and the protesters didn't get drunk, loot, or party. My city's newspaper and political leadership are quite conservative and it would have made the front page if there was an increase in COVID cases after the protests. No such article or news report has appeared.

Unfortunately, none of that leadership or peacefulness is in Kenosha. The second car dealership is on fire. Reminds me of first blood.

You get both of those through second hand smoke. There are many people who try to kill their kids, family, friends, and strangers every day and never think twice about the ramifications of their drug habit. Because tobacco generates huge amounts of tax money it’s all ok!

Maybe you're young enough that you don't remember what it used to be like, but precisely because of second hand smoke, there have been a huge number of laws and restrictions implemented. Long gone are the days of smoking sections in indoor restaurants or on airplanes. A friend was recently reminiscing about the smoking lounge in his high school that you could use as long as you had parents' permission.
Tobaco ads, even cigarette packaging have all been changed in an effort to save lives.

So yes, people have done a TON to try and stop heart disease and cancer, and continue to do so, and many of those same people are also trying to save lives needlessly lost due to covid.

I’m just sick and tired of the hypocrisy and so are many other people. It’s perfectly fine to protest and loot and riot and create mayhem and destruction in large groups but don’t you dare....sing in church? Seriously?

Same goes for the bikers. Somehow their mass gathering is bad. I guess too much property stayed intact.

Why do you keep mocking the singing in church issue? Have you not heard about the choirs where covid spread? One choir in Washington state had over half their members infected and two died. It's tragic, not a political gambit.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6919e6.htm
I'm a Sunday school teacher and my daughter is in our church choir. I value church singing incredibly highly - it's the only place where I can sing out with my terrible voice and not get shushed ;-) But the warnings against singing in enclosed spaces is based on hard-won evidence and science. Ignore it at your literal peril.

Interesting, I just did a search and every single article that showed up on the page said the protests did not contribute to a Covid spike. There was not one article that even said it was a possibility that the protests caused a spike.

Several articles said the data is sparse. Hmmmm....why could that be? 🤔
Wait a minute. Before it was they turned a blind eye to it. And as I said that was false. So is this now your real problem with it? That they don't agree with the narrative you wish to push.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, none of that leadership or peacefulness is in Kenosha. The second car dealership is on fire. Reminds me of first blood.
You are welcome to start a Kenosha thread if it doesn't already exist. It's an important topic that shouldn't be buried here. This thread is for discussing the impact of Covid on the participants of the Sturgis rally and the local residents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter