Subaru Forester or something else?

DD17 is going to be taking over my current car by the time summer comes so I am beginning my search for a new car. (Yes I am aware it’s a horrible time to get a car but it is what it is)

I currently have a Nissan Rogue which is fine.
Looking at a Subaru Forester, Toyota RAV4 and Honda CRV. Probably a 2021/2022 depending on what’s available.

I drive maybe 5,000 miles a year. I live in CT and work in a hospital so driving in snow is a must.
Anyone have anything good/bad to say about my choices? Should I add something else to look into? Don’t want anything much
My only real dislike of my Nissan is the back window has a pretty big blind sport and would prefer something that has good visibility if possible.

Thanks!

Hi Pinkxray: We bought a Subaru Forrester a few years ago and absolutely love it. It is so safe to drive, especially in snow and ice. I am a retired RN and I know what you are saying about driving all shifts in bad weather. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. I love the bigger windows for a good view all the way around. Our other car was front wheel drive and had little windows. I really appreciate those and the height (easier to get into for us). There are so many built in safety features too. All Subaru's have auto start at no extra cost or time limits.
My daughter bought a Toyota Rav4 and really likes it too. BUT she is a little upset that her auto start expired in one year. Seems like it's kind of nickel and diming on a $45,000 car. So she is buying one to have put in. Other than that she is happy with it. She drives to work in all kinds of weather too.
I guess it comes down to personal preference and price. Good Luck:)

I forgot to add that we live in extreme northern Minnesota, and we have a lot of snow and ice to cope with - it thaws out in April, so it's a long winter.

Last edited:
I have a Subaru Ascent (drove a Honda Pilot previously) and love the car! It handles really, really well, never hesitates in heavy rains (I live in Georgia so snow is an anomaly). As far as sizing- it's longer but more narrow than my Pilot. After the transmissions I had with the Pilot, I really wasn't interested in another Honda but I went to look at the newer Pilot and was very underwhelmed. One thing that I hear is that Honda & Toyota are behind in their tech (which might not be a bad thing, but Subaru's tech makes it very easy to use with or without my iphone connected).

And, for those who want a hybrid Subaru, the Crosstek has a hybrid option and Subaru & Toyota are designing a larger SUV for release very soon, I can't remember if it will be hybrid or all electric.

5000 miles a year, you might be able to get away with just Uber/Lyft. Could be cheaper than the annual cost of a car.

https://thecollegeinvestor.com/19174/uber-vs-owning-car/
https://www.commoncentsmom.com/owning-a-car-vs-uber-everywhere/
LOL. My mom never drove more than 3,000 miles in her life, and then only in the years when she was commuting to work. When she retired, it fell to 1,000 miles. But she had to have her own car because as an RN she was subject to call in during her working years. And while Uber/Lyft may be cheaper, the cost of a car is well worth it when you can just jump in and go instead of wait around for a ride service.

I have a Volkswagen Tiguan which I really like. It is AWD and fantastic on gas which surprised me when I first got it. Mine has a power panoramic moon roof which is also fun. And it is very good in bad weather.

My son bought one of these in 2020 and it's a wonderful little SUV (and affordable).

LOL. My mom never drove more than 3,000 miles in her life, and then only in the years when she was commuting to work. When she retired, it fell to 1,000 miles. But she had to have her own car because as an RN she was subject to call in during her working years. And while Uber/Lyft may be cheaper, the cost of a car is well worth it when you can just jump in and go instead of wait around for a ride service.
Just offering up an option.

I wouldn't want to not have a car but the math is compelling.

Just offering up an option.

I wouldn't want to not have a car but the math is compelling.
Yeah, I have spent a lot on cars. We have had a spare car since 1986. When you have to be at work at 3 am, a flat tire or dead battery can sink you. Nice to have another option. Not an issue now that we are retired, but from 2015 until August of this year we had TWO spare cars, if you count the 1965 Mustang in my garage.

I was given a 2020 Nissan Rogue as my rental car on our vacation this summer. I loved it! I am not one to enjoy driving a strange car, but I got used to it quickly and loved how it handled. I didn't notice a blind spot. I am now considering it when it is time to give up my Kia Sorento in a few years.

My sister has a 2012 Rogue and has liked it. I haven't heard her mention a blind spot, but we don't talk about cars too often, haha.

My son bought one of these in 2020 and it's a wonderful little SUV (and affordable).
I was actually surprised also by how much room it has to cart stuff around. I downsized from a minivan and was worried about space, but it hasn’t been an issue.

Might also check on Consumer's Reports since they evaluate a large number of vehicles. Many manufacturers now make a number of different SUV's in various sizes. There could be others that fit your needs and price range.

Last edited:
We have a 2020 Legacy Limited and 2020 Outback. Love both of them! This is our second Outback. We only drive 5-7K miles on each and all we have to do is change the oil and rotate the tires a couple times a year. We get about 28-29 MPG in the winter. My Legacy has a bigger engine and is more luxurious than the Outback. Both have Eyesight. I'd definitely consider a Subaru!

Make sure you get Starlink which is $75 for three years and lets you start your car remotely...a necessity in New England! Good luck!

I was actually surprised also by how much room it has to cart stuff around. I downsized from a minivan and was worried about space, but it hasn’t been an issue.
They have massively huge rear passenger area and doors. When I actually went to look at one, I was shocked at how small it was in person because they look massive in the pictures. Not much bigger than most of the small CUV style vehicles.

I remember cleaning out our RAV4 (wife's car so I wasn't in it much) before vacation when I realized I was knelt down in the footwell of the rear seats. I've never been in the back of a vehicle that an adult could fit in without the front folks needing to push their seats up. I can imagine how much room is in the Tiguan, those rear doors are huge.

I LOVE the Ascent. It would be my top choice if I was comfortable driving larger suvs. I also don’t think it will fit in my garage.

When we were car shopping a little over a year ago, I had my heart set on the Ascent, but when I went to test drive it, I just didn't feel comfortable - it drove like a truck. After driving a Honda Odyssey for so long that drove like a car, I just didn't like the feel and ended up just getting a new Odyssey.

We do not live in a particularly bad weather area, so having something that handles well in snow is not a big concern here. My sister has an Outback and really likes hers.

I'm partial to Toyotas. I've had an MR2 (yes, showing my age), 4 Runner, Sienna minivan and now a Highlander. My husband is on his 4th Toyota truck. We've been pleased with them all. My daughter just receives my Mom's Honda CRV, great car.

Thanks everyone so far for the responses.
I LOVE the Ascent. It would be my top choice if I was comfortable driving larger suvs. I also don’t think it will fit in my garage.
DH has a Jeep Grand Cherokee and that is right where I start to draw the line in size. His car is very comfortable but I hate driving and parking it.
The parking garage at my hospital is tight and hard to maneuver so I prefer something small. We use DH’s car as the family car.

Uber/Lyft is an interesting option. I think I’m just too nervous to do that. I prefer having my own car. I know there have been some bad storms where people in the hospital who depend on ubers couldn't get in. Plus I have two kids still in car seats that I drive to daycare/school.

I will probably have this car for another 12 years if lucky and then it would pass on to DD5. My 2012 Rogue that is going to that goes to DD17 has 53,000 miles on it. I like knowing she will hopefully have a well maintained car that I took good care of to hopefully get her through college and early adulthood. I hope to do the same for her sister one day.

I did sit in a Forester this weekend and I didn’t hate it. (Back in 2012 I wanted a RAV4 and only a RAV4. Sat in one hated it.)
I guess I don’t get too excited about cars bc it was fine.
Will see if I can test drive one along with the others soon. I know the CRV and RAV4 look much different than when I test drove them 10 years ago and decided against them.
Try a Legacy Limited. Our house has a small width garage. The Outback is a tight fit but we put the Legacy in the other night and though it feels big inside, it is definitely smaller and the side mirrors flip in. The seat is totally different from the Outback and Forrester (our son has a new one) and IMO much more comfortable.

Those are the 3 cars I drove when I last bought a car. I went with the Forester. I didn't like the visibility driving the rav4 and thought the Subaru was more comfortable than the Honda.

I have a 2010 Subaru Outback with 154,000 miles on it and my husband keeps bugging me to get a new Subaru (I don't want a car payment) but my mechanic (who works for Subaru but does repairs on the side at his own garage) told me that I could easily get another 150,000 miles on this car and the frame is still in really good shape. I find that the Forrester is a little too small for me but the Outback is just right and I have hauled my daughter to college in Boston for 6 years (Pharmacy doctorate) to her eventual move to Virginia and you can really pack things in this hatchback!

I have a 2010 Forester with 108k miles, and have zero interest in getting a new one, I am completely happy with it.

All seem like good choices. With the Subaru just be sure to check the oil regularly as that seems to head off the engine problems some folks have had with them. I'll be honest, I think Subarus are okay cars, but a lot of folks I know who buy them tend to be a big abusive of them.
My family members who have had Subarus all had oil issues. My sister has one that at just over a year old had the oil light come on when out of town on vacation. They added oil and took it in to be looked at when they got home. The service people blew them off saying yeah sometimes they use a little oil. What? Like it wasn’t even on the stick. Anyway, they like their cars, but they are not trouble free. My sister also recently walked out to her car and the entire rear window was shattered. The whole entire thing. She was told it wasn’t a flaw, so not Subarus fault or covered by warranty. It cost a fortune to replace. This is on an outback.

We have a Forester we bought new in 2005-needs a new radiator but other than that still a great car, with over 300K on it. Bought a new one-Forester Sport-in February and sure love that car. My 25 year old has learned to drive on. Safety features are incredible, and it’s comfortable and surprisingly roomy. Thought about the Ascent but now that my eldest of three kids is an adult we rarely would need the third seat, so not worth the extra money for us-and consumer reports ratings not quite as good.

Yeah, I have spent a lot on cars. We have had a spare car since 1986. When you have to be at work at 3 am, a flat tire or dead battery can sink you. Nice to have another option. Not an issue now that we are retired, but from 2015 until August of this year we had TWO spare cars, if you count the 1965 Mustang in my garage.
Post a pic of that mustang. I’d love to see it!

I'll offer another vote for Subaru. .I've had 5 of them since I started driving over 40 years ago. For most of my life I've lived in northern New England, and as long as you don't whoop "Yippee!" and believe you're invincible, it's a wonderful winter car.

Only reason I don't have one now is I couldn't find one I liked, and that I could afford, when my last one got rear-ended and totalled while waiting in line at a road construction stop. I walked away from that without a scratch. The officer on duty was amazed.
When my current car goes to the big garage in the sky, it's back to Subaru.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter