Success with renting points?

cmorrison87

Earning My Ears
Looking to rent points for a stay Sept/Oct 2019 in a 2 BR @ BLT. First time ever renting points. From what I've read this is a busy time for DVC owners to book. What do you think my chances for success are? More comfortable renting through a broker (most likely David's) and already put in a request to "be first in line" for those dates/resort. Should I get my hopes up? Would requesting a 1 BR be easier?

October would be easier. Studios go first, then 2 BR then 1 BR. We always get a 1br. We love having a kitchen! David’s is usually really good to use, I use them to rent my points and my daughter has rented from them.

I had pretty good luck with booking points for my next trip. Best advice I would have is to not be too particular with what you want. If you have to have one particular resort and room type, you might not get what you want. If you’re a bit flexible and can pick a few different resorts you would be happy with, you should have a good experience.

We have rented every 2-3 years for 12 years in October. I would think Sept would be easier, but make sure you are there for Food and Wine! I always get what I want - typically AKL Kidani Savannah View and this year a Grand Villa at BW. For the GV, we did book at the 11 month mark exactly. I LOVE renting DVC and would never do Disney any other way (unless someone else was paying). We have slept at Pop when the flights don't line up and we arrive early.

If you make the request at 11 months, and are looking for Lake View, I think your chances are good. Standard View, chances are bad. Waiting until 7 months, you fail.

Good luck! we had success renting through David's for a trip last year - we wanted a studio at BWV in October. Being Food & Wine time I was concerned but like you I put the request in at 12 months out to be at the top of the line and it worked out.

We rented from Davids last 3 trips. Always between 11-7 month window and we always got what we wanted (Grand Californian Studio, Polynesian Studio Std view, GF 2 bedroom Std view). I have a request in for 9-23/9-28 2019 right now. Crossing fingers!

Going to CCV 11-24 through 12-1 rack rate, and I wont lie IT HURTS!

October would be easier. Studios go first, then 2 BR then 1 BR. We always get a 1br. We love having a kitchen! David’s is usually really good to use, I use them to rent my points and my daughter has rented from them.
No, Sept would be easier to book than October. October through early Jan is considered Fall Frenzy for DVC.

We rented from Davids last 3 trips. Always between 11-7 month window and we always got what we wanted (Grand Californian Studio, Polynesian Studio Std view, GF 2 bedroom Std view). I have a request in for 9-23/9-28 2019 right now. Crossing fingers!

We're arriving on 9/28/19! Let me know if you get your first choice!

Off Topic: Love your avatar! Super cute! :)

We were successful in booking for October 2017 through David's rentals. We booked at the 11 month mark though. Good luck.

You can always poke around on the DVC board here and put out feelers for individual owners willing to work with you to secure that reservation if you feel it might not be a sure bet through a broker. I did this before my first time wading into the DVC rental world, and found a fantastic owner who helped make my dream of the Grand Floridian at Christmastime come true. Booked through her again to return to the Grand in June of 2019.

I've also used David's for a quick trip this past summer. Decided about 6-months out that I'd see what I could get and wound up at Kidani in a savanna view studio. I think BLT was available too if I remember correctly (though I was just looking for a studio...but they're usually snapped up quickly).

Both ways (individual owner and broker) were very easy. DVC is the way to go!

Anecdotal here... but I put in a request in late February for a different resort (late September/early October 2018 travel dates) and there were still BLT studios available then (theme park and lake view.) that may bode well for 2 bedrooms!

We rented years ago, watch out you may like it so much you will buy in. It’s addhctive!!

We literally paid 50% off of rack rate for a 2 bedroom standard view villa at VGF. We could never afford that room without renting points.

You will read everywhere that you can't cancel or change plans when you rent DVC and get a refund.

True - but if you book trip insurance, it will cover your cost if you need to cancel or change.

The not being able to cancel without losing our money scared me. What if we got sick/life happened/etc?

So - we booked for Feb and got insurance through Travel Guard. It was reasonably priced. We saved HUGE over the Poly rack rated, even with the added insurance cost.

And the process has been smooth and easy. Just my two cents - go for it!

Rented many times in the past. Won't anymore as the price per point from most owners has made it far less of a deal than it used to be. If you can find point for $14 or under, awesome. Most I see are in the $16-$17 range, and even higher for the "premium" resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter