Suggestion on Miami pre cruise hotels and transfers please!

TinkerBrie

DIS Veteran
Hello! We are sailing on the Wonder from Miami in April. I need recommendations for hotels and a private transfer for a big group (18) of us. Thinking of flying in the night before. Also what time can we board the ship in the morning?

Hello! We are sailing on the Wonder in April. I need recommendations for hotels and a private transfer for a big group (18) of us. Thinking of flying in the night before. Also what time can we board the ship in the morning?

Boarding usually begins about 11:15-11:30. When you do your online check in you can pick a PAT (Port Arrival Time). The earlier your PAT the earlier your boarding number.

They start calling boarding numbers around 11:15 or so and keep calling them every few minutes. You board when your boarding number is called.

Many people use Happy Limo who sponsors these boards.

We like the Marriott Residence Inn in Port Canaveral and also just stayed at the Radisson in Port Canaveral. Prefer the MRI.

MJ

I also second Happy Limo.

We stayed at the Hyatt at Orlando airport. We were a party of 19, and some flights arrived late. This was a perfect way to meet up with the late night stragglers to arrange last minute details. Feel free to view the first part of my video to see the Hyatt. We used a Party Bus from Happy Limo. Great experience. The hotel took our luggage so all we had were our day bags. Worked great and will do this again! Hope that helps!

Cruise Video

Hello! We are sailing on the Wonder in April. I need recommendations for hotels and a private transfer for a big group (18) of us. Thinking of flying in the night before. Also what time can we board the ship in the morning?

I believe the Wonder will be sailing out of Miami in April 2015. Above posts refer to Port Canaveral. Anyone have suggestions in Miami for the OP?

Flying in at least the night before is highly recommended. There are many things that can go wrong with a flight causing delay or even cancellation -- even in decent weather. Having that extra cushion of time is very helpful.

I believe Port Arrival Times (PATs) begin at 11:00am in Miami, with boarding starting around 11:30/11:45am. You'll select a PAT during online check-in (probably 75 days prior to your cruise date if this is your first DCL cruise) -- and your actual boarding number will be assigned based on the PAT. Early PAT = lower (earlier) boarding number, later PAT = higher (later) boarding number.

Hopefully someone with specific Miami experience will also chime in to fill in the gaps I missed. Enjoy your cruise!

I also second Happy Limo.

We stayed at the Hyatt at Orlando airport. We were a party of 19, and some flights arrived late. This was a perfect way to meet up with the late night stragglers to arrange last minute details. Feel free to view the first part of my video to see the Hyatt. We used a Party Bus from Happy Limo. Great experience. The hotel took our luggage so all we had were our day bags. Worked great and will do this again! Hope that helps!

Cruise Video

pinky1441, thanks for posting the video. We will be staying at the Hyatt at MCO for the first time in September. We were originally booked at the Residence Inn at Port Canaveral but switched for the convenience and to save transportation cost. Plus, we'll be able to watch the DCL bus video on the way to port (getting there is half the fun, right :thumbsup2)!!

We just booked a cruise out of Miami for next year and in doing some searching through the boards, I saw a lot of recommendations for SAS Transportation and the Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown.

Like I said, we haven't been so I can't vouch for those, but in my initial research, those look like good bets for Miami. :)

I haven't sailed with DCL out of Miami's port yet, but have sailed on other lines. We will be taking the Wonder in November, so I'm looking right now.

The Miami International Airport Hotel (actually *in* the airport) is older, but really convenient, since it's located in Terminal E. It used to be a Hilton, but apparently isn't any more. If you're coming in the night before, it's as convenient as the MCO airport... but smaller, a bit older, and no pool. It does have a lovely restaurant at the top floor you can watch flights from though!

Post cruise, we'll be booking a "day-rate" room, since our flight doesn't leave until 6pm the day of disembarkation. 2 beds, a shower, a tv, and the ability to watch the airport monitor from the room make it worth it.

I've also stayed at the Holiday Inn Port Miami down by the docks before. It was clean, quiet, and you could see the ships out the window in the morning. Plus there's some little shops you can wander around nearby.
Unfortunately, it's fully booked for our night before already. The Intercontinental gets good reviews.

Either way, it's really much easier to get to the port in Miami than to get to Port Canaveral from Orlando, no matter where you stay.

If you're flying into FLL instead of MIA, definitely check tripadvisor and look for something down by the port! :):goodvibes

We have stayed in Miami before a cruise, not Disney. The holiday inn at the port is very nice and reasonably priced. Right across from the marketplace which has lots of restaurants and shops. A more expensive option is going over to south beach. More expensive hotels but great nightlife. We live The Hotel at South beach. 1700 Collins avenue, one block from beach. Great roof top pool and access to beach chairs. Go in the night before. You will love it

Hampton Inn Downtown Brickell is the number one (or two, once in a while it drops a point) by Trip Advisor.

Port is close so a cab can be as low as $25 from what I've been told (we drove both times).

If you are flying in, you could opt for a hotel closer to the airport as they do have free shuttles to MIA. All hotels however seem to charge for a shuttle to the port. Suggestions are hotels in the Blue Lagoon area. We stayed once at the Hampton Inn there.

Last December we stayed at the Conrad (I had an excellent points+dollars rate I could not say no to) But honestly, don't think it was worth it. And not 'kid friendly'. By this I mean the room had a vast array of items for purchase including 'adult only' items. Very discreet but I can't imagine a curious one roaming thru them and opening one!

Both Hampton do have free breakfast...

anricat said:
We just booked a cruise out of Miami for next year and in doing some searching through the boards, I saw a lot of recommendations for SAS Transportation and the Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown.

Like I said, we haven't been so I can't vouch for those, but in my initial research, those look like good bets for Miami. :)

Doing NCL Getaway in August and the Wonder next March, both out of POM. Flying in day before in both cases to FLL.

Using Go Airport Service from FLL to hotel in August. Booking SAS for the return from POM to FLL post cruise.

Have the Holiday Inn - Port of Miami booked for August in large part because we could get a room with two double beds and a sofa bed. There is also a CVS just down the street. If it all works well next month we will repeat it for March.

I just called Holiday Inn at Port Miami Downtown to reserve three rooms (for a party of ten - that would be restaurant guests) on March 28th.

"Oh, that's a Saturday and requires 2 nights minimum", they say.

"OK, quote me for 27th and 28th".

"Oh, 27th is a Friday, that requires 3 nights minimum stay"

They then offered another property, six miles away. It has a shuttle to the cruise port for $30 per person. $5 a mile, per person. $300.

I really don't think so.

There are other threads here on sailing out of Miami. You can search for them. Last April we sailed on the Wonder out of Miami with a party of 21. We all stayed at the Comfort Suites Miami Airport North. Reasonably priced at about $89, clean, free breakfast and a free shuttle to the port. The only downside is it is behind the airport. Only a Subway or McDonald's nearby. We drove to South Beach for dinner. Very well reviewed on Trip Advisor.com

I just called Holiday Inn at Port Miami Downtown to reserve three rooms (for a party of ten - that would be restaurant guests) on March 28th.

"Oh, that's a Saturday and requires 2 nights minimum", they say.

"OK, quote me for 27th and 28th".

"Oh, 27th is a Friday, that requires 3 nights minimum stay"

They then offered another property, six miles away. It has a shuttle to the cruise port for $30 per person. $5 a mile, per person. $300.

I really don't think so.

Interesting. Wonder if there is something going on in Miami. Only time I have ever run into that was Vegas for New Years. I booked for March 14th, 2015 online without any issue.

We used MLS transportation & stayed at Holiday Inn POM. Couldn't have been better. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter