• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Suggestions to ease child's fear of flying

Reece7r

Earning My Ears
I will be traveling in several weeks with 3 children (ages 10, 7, and 7) who have never flown. The 10 year old last night told me she doesn't want to go to Florida because we are flying. Any ideas on how to ease her fears? The two 7 year olds are also a little leary, but not as vocal about it as their sister.
The children's mom is traveling with us and has never flown either. She isn't too comfortable with the idea, but didn't want to drive 17 hours.
TIA for any and all suggestions!!

It's always a bit scary to fly for the first time. And the older a child is, the more they can realize the 'danger' in flying! I would go over, maybe even playact, what will happen at the airport....security and such. Then, tell them just how many planes are in the air at any given time.
My dd started flying when she was just over 3....hated every minute of those take-offs and landings. We made a game out of it though. She would close her eyes, and hold my hand tightly. Then, she would have to tell me when she thought the plane had left the ground. Same thing for landings...when did the plane touch down. It helped a bit. The other thing I tell her is that pilots and flight attendents wouldn't do their job every single day if it was so dangerous.
It's hard to rationalize with a child. I myself have a hard time understanding how it is that the plane stays in the air!! But, it's better than driving 24 hrs!!!

Perhaps someone has an idea as far as a book or video about flying....I don't.

One of the best things you can do is to not over-dramatize it. The more matter of fact-ly you are about the flight, the better the child will feel. Remember, children take a lot of cue's from their parents.

One of the best things you can do is to not over-dramatize it. The more matter of fact-ly you are about the flight, the better the child will feel. Remember, children take a lot of cue's from their parents.

Sounds like the kids are getting their feelings from their mother. Try to get their mother to relax and not show her fears of flying. Kids will be just fine and the less fear they see, the better off they will be.

You can't rationalize with kids, but you can talk about how much fun it is and how many near things they are going to see. Flying is just like their first ride at WDW!

Duds

Thank you for all the suggestions! I really like the idea of making a game out of the take-off and landings.
Last night we did start talking about what will happen at the airport when we go through Security. All 3 of the children had questions regarding that. Hopefully by talking about each step of the flying process, some of the nervous jitters will calm down.

Is there an airport in your area?

I used to take my kids to the road that is at the end of the main runway here in Toronto and let them watch the planes take off and land .. that helped them with the fear a lot!

Take a trip to the library and grab some books about flying on a plane and airports. There are plenty of good ones and you might even be able to find a video. I would ask the 10 year old to help you read to the younger ones so that he or she does not worry about reading the books or feel embarassed by "baby books." :blush:

A very good one is called "The Noisy Airplane Ride" by Mike Downs. If your library does not have it, you can ask them to request a copy from another library. It's a very fact-filled book that describes the noises they will hear as the plane pulls away from the jetway, takes off, flies and lands. The noises are unfamiliar and can be worrisome, but this book has the answers about what they are and can help them prepare - planes are noisier than cars!

The PPs are right - they calmer the adults are, the more the children feel comforted, so try to keep mom in check if you can! ;)

Also, be sure to plan plenty of things to do - games, comic books, snacks, to keep everyone occupied.

Now that our kids have done it a couple of times, they want to fly everywhere! :rotfl:

Good luck!

Disclaimer: I am a children's librarian! :goodvibes

Is there an airport in your area?

I used to take my kids to the road that is at the end of the main runway here in Toronto and let them watch the planes take off and land .. that helped them with the fear a lot!

We live about 10 minutes from the airport here and this is exactly what I did.:thumbsup2 I also am a little worried about flying, but watching the planes take off and land for about an hour really made me see how "routine" it is. I also kept telling myself, "You don't get scared when you get in the car to drive down the road and that is MUCH less safe than flying in a plane". Now, when I get on a plane, I just pretend I am getting on a great big bus!:lmao:

Think "The Noisy Airplane Ride" works for 33-year-old kids too? :rotfl: My DF is a tad nervous of flying so I've tried the whole bit of talking him through all the steps... Numerous times. I've tried the whole we're in a bus in the sky theory; the whole the pilot doesn't want to die either theory, I don't think he quite believes me. He says he's okay and then... "Exactly how many feet above the ground are we?" :rolleyes1 He did call his doctor and has some little happy pills. Wish me luck. We're supposed to go to Disney on Saturday... Happy thoughts, happy thoughts;)

Take a trip to the library and grab some books about flying on a plane and airports. There are plenty of good ones and you might even be able to find a video. I would ask the 10 year old to help you read to the younger ones so that he or she does not worry about reading the books or feel embarassed by "baby books." :blush:

A very good one is called "The Noisy Airplane Ride" by Mike Downs. If your library does not have it, you can ask them to request a copy from another library. It's a very fact-filled book that describes the noises they will hear as the plane pulls away from the jetway, takes off, flies and lands. The noises are unfamiliar and can be worrisome, but this book has the answers about what they are and can help them prepare - planes are noisier than cars!

Disclaimer: I am a children's librarian! :goodvibes

I can't believe I didn't think of this as my mom is a librarian! I am at the library right now reserving the book. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter