Suggestions wanted: First time cruiser with a 3-1/2 year old

mickeysaver

<font color=blue>WINNER of the world's worst limer
I am a WDW pro, but I have never been on a cruise. I am thinking that somewhere in the Caribbean or Bahamas would be good. I will need a passport before we go. I am guessing that the baby can get by with a birth certificate. We tend to enjoy longer trips when it's to the parks because it gives us time to really relax. I am not sure that the same would be true on a ship though, due to close quarters and such.

So, where would you suggest going and for how long? We are hoping to save up for a trip next summer or fall.

It makes no sense to get a passport for yourself but not for the child. You will either want them for everyone or for no one unless there is a citizenship issue involved (foreign adoption or something of that nature).

A passport is recommended by many, but is not required for the cruise--provided it is a closed loop cruise departing from the US and none of the countries visited requires one. This is the case for the Bahamas and Caribbean cruises leaving from Port Canaveral.

I'd suggest a 4 night cruise. 3 is just too rushed--too much to do and too little time. The 4 or 5 gives you some time to relax! We like the parks, but we LOVE the cruise.

We took our DD on her first cruise at 3 1/2 - we chose a 5-night DD on the Wonder with 2 stops to Castaway Cay, which was perfect, but is not available in 2013. So far, she has been on 4 cruises and will be 5 years old next month - she's as addicted as we are!

That being said, I would personally choose a 7-night Caribbean cruise because longer is always better :thumbsup2 You will have plenty of time to relax - that is the best part about the cruises - you can do as much or as little as you'd like.

Also, we have been on 5 cruises, and have 5 scheduled. I know this is a hot debate, but we all cruise with our birth certificates. Yes, we'd like to get passports in the future, but you will be fine with your birth certificates. (Not wanting to start a debate please.)

I hope that I didn't open a can of worms with the passport vs birth certificate stuff. I didn't realize it was a "hot topic". I know that I personally hope to do some travel outside of the country in the next few years, outside of cruising, which is why I was going to go with the passport.

For the little one, my partner has concurrent custody of her here in FL. I am not even sure how it would work getting her a passport given the situation. There is court paperwork showing that my partner has the concurrent custodial rights and we can get a copy of her birth certificate from the state, which will have to work for now, I guess. The baby is our great niece, who views my partner and I as her parents due to a lot of drama that I really don't want to go into, yet again. lol

I hope that I didn't open a can of worms with the passport vs birth certificate stuff. I didn't realize it was a "hot topic". I know that I personally hope to do some travel outside of the country in the next few years, outside of cruising, which is why I was going to go with the passport.

For the little one, my partner has concurrent custody of her here in FL. I am not even sure how it would work getting her a passport given the situation. There is court paperwork showing that my partner has the concurrent custodial rights and we can get a copy of her birth certificate from the state, which will have to work for now, I guess. The baby is our great niece, who views my partner and I as her parents due to a lot of drama that I really don't want to go into, yet again. lol

You will want to check with DCL as your plans firm up to find out exactly what documentation will be required for this child since the birth certificate will not show you or your partner as the parent. I have cruised with a child who was not mine--in that case we needed the Minor Authorization form signed by one of the child's parents. However, your situation is much different since the person with custody will be cruising. DCL can advise you of what THEY will require.

And longer is always better--I just can't usually convince first timers that a week is great.

Ok, so longer is better, which is what I had in mind, but I just wasn't sure how it really played out. Thanks for the input everyone! :)

We were in your boat a few years ago, bringing a 3 1/2 and 5 year old on their first cruise. We chose a 3 night cruise because it fit into our schedule over P/T conferences at school and because we weren't sure how the kids would react to the boat and seasickness etc. So far those 3 nights have been the BEST vacation we've ever taken! The only downside to that cruise was having to get off after only 3 days!!! We'd already re-booked a 7 night before we left :)

Each child is different, but out kids LOVED the "Mickey Boat" and can think of nothing more they want to do. We've even been able to get both of them to start saving more money because we promise them once we get enough we'll go back lol :lmao:

On the Passport subject, I like having the peace of mind of the passports versus lugging the original birth certificates around. We may someday be able to afford to go overseas, but for right now I like only having to bring the books. In fact we just applied for our 9 month old to get his. Best thing, even though the kids are still growing, the still last for 10 years, even if the picture changes.

As far as dual custody of children, there are forms that you can get from the passport website so your child can get one, with signatures from both parents.

HTH

Thanks for the additional input.

The way the law looks at the concurrent custody agreement is that my partner is just as much a legal parent with the exact same set of rights to the baby as either of the bio parents are. I don't think there will be a need to involve either of them in obtaining any signatures, if we do go the route of getting a passport for the little one. It can be months that we don't hear from either of the bio parents. It makes me incredibly mad, incredibly sad, and incredibly happy all at the same time. Being the little one's "Mama" is my greatest joy. :cloud9: She's an awesome little kid, even when she is being very much a 2 year old and pushing our buttons. ;)

I opted to get the passport cards for the family. I'll take a risk not being able to fly in an emergency, but I don't anticipate needing a passport as other than this, we don't plan on traveling out of the country in the next several years.

Thanks for the additional input.

The way the law looks at the concurrent custody agreement is that my partner is just as much a legal parent with the exact same set of rights to the baby as either of the bio parents are. I don't think there will be a need to involve either of them in obtaining any signatures, if we do go the route of getting a passport for the little one. It can be months that we don't hear from either of the bio parents. It makes me incredibly mad, incredibly sad, and incredibly happy all at the same time. Being the little one's "Mama" is my greatest joy. :cloud9: She's an awesome little kid, even when she is being very much a 2 year old and pushing our buttons. ;)

I'm not trying to get into your personal stuff, and I'm terribly sorry if I offended in any way. I just wouldn't want you to get to the cruise terminal without whatever documentation DCL feels you need given your somewhat unique situation.

It is very possible to get a passport without the bio parents signing. Worst case scenario, the family court judge that granted shared custody can "award" the ability to obtain a passport without requiring the other parents permission. Having said that, there is a form that can be filled out (same as the notarized absent parent form) where the reasons the other parent can not be located or refuses to sign etc etc.
With my son, I can't get his "father" to do anything, so I had to write all the attempts to locate, cooperation with the CSED, etc. I had my sons' passport in 13 days. Its possible and scary, but it can be done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter