Suggestions - wheelchair?

tinkyb2

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this page. I'm going to DW in June with my mother-in-law who has MS. She will be in a wheelchair the entire time. I've been reading a lot of the fabulous posts in this forum (thank you!) but am confused by some of the lingo. What is a GAC and is it necessary for wheelchair users? Do you have any tips for our family - with regard to rides, travel (which modes of Disney transportation should we take - we will not have a car), and other helpful suggestions regarding wheelchair accessibility/usage in the parks. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Jaime
:rockband:

Welcome,
you do not need a GAC, which is a guest assistence card, with a wheelchair.
You well be able to use any WDW transportation, with a possable exception of some of the boats depending on water level, but if she can walk alittle bit then it won't be a problem at all.
One tip for the rides is to stop at guest services and get the handbook for disabliities. That way you will know which rides you can stay in the wc and which ones you have to get out. It will also tell you if there is a different way to get on the ride. Most of the rides use the regular lines but some don't.
Also all of the shows have wc sites just ask the CM at the front of the show and they will show you where to go.
If you ever need anything just ask a CM they are great to the disabled and more then willing to help.

Welcome to disABILITIES :wave:
If you haven't already checked it out, look at the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
The 4th post in that thread has instructions for traveling by WDW bus.
The 3rd post has a link to the Disney website that has a copy of the guidebooks for Guests with Disabilities that pugdog mentioned. The Disney webpage also has a list of rides that are "Mainstream", where the guest can use the regular line and remain in their wheelchair/ecv for the wait in line
There are little icons on the park maps that tell whether you can stay in the wheelchair or ecv for the entire ride (a picture of a wheelchair), whether you have to transfer from an ecv to a wheelchair (a picture of a person doing that) or if you have to transfer from the wheelchair to the ride car (a picture of a person standing next to a wheelchair).
The 3rd post in the disABILITIES FAQs thread also has a link to a past thread about ride boarding.

If she can walk at least a few steps, she would be able to ride pretty much everything she wants to. And, as pudog said, someone using a wheelchair or ECV usually doesn't need a GAC, which is basically a tool to let CMs (Cast Members) know what sorts of accomidation/assistance people need for invisible disabilities. Since they can see the wheelchair/ecv, they know that you need an accessible entrance.

That's exactly the question I was going to ask, Jaime.

Only difference is that I am the one with MS. We leave in 13 days and I have a flareup starting and am having difficulties walking. My MS doc has started an oral steriod treatment because she knows we are going on vacation. Heat can be a factor for me (unfortunately), so that could cause more exacerbations.

Do I need a note from my doc? I plan on touring in our typical fashion with my two feet, but I am not going to let this ruin our vacation so I am open to using a wheelchair or scooter if I need it. I can tweaking our park plans to make things less commando as well.

Just to clarify, for myself, I will not need to get a GAC, correct?

First of all you do not need a note from a doctor.

Secondly, we generally suggest renting from off-site as the rental companies tend to have better equipment and it is available to you at all times.
Heat can be a factor for me (unfortunately), so that could cause more exacerbations.
Next, normally with a wheelchair or ECV you can only receive a GAC if you have problems not related to mobility or stamina. In your circumstance, you might need a GAC to avoid long lines in direct sunlight; either that or bring an umbrella or parasol.

Don't forget that if you need to cool off or relax go into a show for a while or go to one of the first aid stations.

Just a gentle reminder from a fellow MSer. Don't push it. Particularly if you are coming off a flare. Keep hydrated and cool. Don't wait until you are tired to rest. Plan down time. At the parks you can sit in a cool show or the aid station if necessary. If you need to sleep in, do it. I know I have paid dearly when I tried to push it. I rent an ECV :moped: and saves a lot of my energy. I have brought a small fold up umbrella to use when there is no shade available. Have a great trip.

Thanks for the tips. This is all very new to me. I was diagnosed last June, after coming home from a DCL cruise. Maybe FL doesn't agree with me? ;)

We are typical commando people, but we are all taking special efforts this time to plan out our Must Sees for each day. No early EMH. Back to the resort by lunch. The room and a/c for me - pool for dh and kids. Rest - with an evening visit to the parks for just a show such as Wishes, Illuminations, etc.

Luckily we have been enough times that even my 9 and 11 yr old have no problem passing up a ride. Dh and I are also comfortable splitting up, if necessary. I guess this trip will be a test to see if we can continue to do FL in the summer. We have already spoken with our school principal who has no problems with us pulling our kids out for a week during the cooler months if it is necessary due to my MS. That makes me feel better.

Any MSers care to share how they handle their drug therapy while traveling? I hope it is easy to transport my injectable via the airlines. I currently take Rx strength naproxen for my side effects, but she has suggested adding 1 10mg prednisone on my injection day as well. Dumb meds. :rolleyes:

geetey said:
Any MSers care to share how they handle their drug therapy while traveling? I hope it is easy to transport my injectable via the airlines. I currently take Rx strength naproxen for my side effects, but she has suggested adding 1 10mg prednisone on my injection day as well. Dumb meds. :rolleyes:

you're staying onsite, right? the resorts will have a fridge for you if you ask to keep the meds. they'll also give you a sharps container to use. i've never had a problem geting my injectible meds through security. i've made sure that the prescription label was with them in the carry-on, just in case. the fridges i've used didn't have freezer compartments, but ice was available from the ice machine (for the injection site, if you use it). the only thing i don't like is the relative lack of privacy in the room (i don't like my kids to see me injecting--not that there's anything wrong with it...) oh also, depending upon which drug you're using, the drug company may have a special vacation travel pouch available for you to use.

i go in january now, since i really don't do well in the heat, but everyone is different.

have fun!

-dj

p.s., you didn't ask, but i find it hard to keep quiet about this....my personal opinion is that MS symptons can be eased by finding out what foods in one's diet might be adding stress to one's body and eliminating them from one's diet. a long time ago i posted with a list of things to read and you can search for it by my user name if you're interested. i personally notice a direct link to my eating dairy, wheat (and other things) and how i feel. i highly recommend your looking into this if you're interested.

Not MS but travel with insulin due to diabetes. As long as the medicine is clearly labelled you should have no problems. Take all meds in your carry-on luggage. I take a small cooler for just my meds, labelled clearly that it holds medications. I take that my purse and a carry-on and have not been challenged. They do give me hassles about my canes sometimes but eventually they deal with it as well.

dj2 said:
you're staying onsite, right? the resorts will have a fridge for you if you ask to keep the meds. they'll also give you a sharps container to use. i've never had a problem geting my injectible meds through security. i've made sure that the prescription label was with them in the carry-on, just in case. the fridges i've used didn't have freezer compartments, but ice was available from the ice machine (for the injection site, if you use it). the only thing i don't like is the relative lack of privacy in the room (i don't like my kids to see me injecting--not that there's anything wrong with it...) oh also, depending upon which drug you're using, the drug company may have a special vacation travel pouch available for you to use.

i go in january now, since i really don't do well in the heat, but everyone is different.

have fun!

-dj

p.s., you didn't ask, but i find it hard to keep quiet about this....my personal opinion is that MS symptons can be eased by finding out what foods in one's diet might be adding stress to one's body and eliminating them from one's diet. a long time ago i posted with a list of things to read and you can search for it by my user name if you're interested. i personally notice a direct link to my eating dairy, wheat (and other things) and how i feel. i highly recommend your looking into this if you're interested.

dj-

I have requested a refrigerator already for my med. I will keep the sealed package in the prescription box to make things easier for transportation on the plane. I plan on carrying my meds in a small softsided cooler with one of the ice packs the prescriptions get shipped with. I am sure it will be amply for our travel time.

I didn't think to request a sharps container! Thanks for the tip. Should I do that before we arrive or at check-in?

I get my injection right before bedtime, so my kids are typically asleep. DH administers my shot for me. I get Avonex and can't do an IM. :scared1: It's bad enough just receiving one. :rolleyes: If they happen to be awake or around, dd looks away, but ds likes to watch while holding my hand. He also thinks an iv looks like a toxic dart. Perhaps he will be a doctor? :confused3

I will contact Biogen and ask about the travel bag. Anything will be helpful.

I will also do a search on your previous post. I feel like I am still new to the world of MS and really appreciate any information, opinions, tips, thoughts people have!

Thanks for everyone's help!

geetey said:
I will also do a search on your previous post. I feel like I am still new to the world of MS and really appreciate any information, opinions, tips, thoughts people have!

geetey

i didn't have time to find the info yesterday, but i do now.... i don't know how to link to it, so i'm just pasting the contents here:

Hi,
I've been to WDW (several times) with MS. Everyone is different, but my best advice is to pace yourself, avoid the heat, and minimize the stress. (Remember, stress can bring on symptoms.) And don't forget if you're staying on site you can get your fridge "comp" for keeping your medicine (if you're on meds.)

As to your quesiton about MS diets, I HIGHLY recommend reading the following books (I'm sure there are others, but I've found these to be very useful):

1) Multiple Sclerosis: A Self-Help Guide to Its Management, by Graham, Judy (might be out of print, but worth the search!)

2) MS: Something Can Be Done and You Can Do It, by Soll, Robert W.

3) The Pulse Test, by Coca, Arthur F. (for detecting food allergies)

and for inspriation...
4) Curing the Incurable, by Rigg, Jacque C.

People might say there have been no definitive studies about diet and MS, but I know the for me, when I eat food I shouldn't, I get worse. It's worth the time to figure out what if anything might be aggrevating your symptoms so you can avoid it/them.

geetey said:
I didn't think to request a sharps container! Thanks for the tip. Should I do that before we arrive or at check-in?

forgot to say that i think that if you're talking to them about something else in advance of your trip you can mention that you'll need this, but that it's not worth the price of a phone call, as you can simply ask for it when you check in.

-dj

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter