Sum of All Thrills to Close

disneydad78

DIS Veteran
The Sum of All Thrills exists because of corporate sponsorship, (in this case Raytheon footing the bill for this attraction). And while Disney hasn’t confirmed dont look for sum of thrills to be around much longer. The ride has been taken off the new map and the website is saying guest have until June 30th to review their ride.
Why is it when Disney looses a sponsorship they jump ship on a attraction? Rename it and keep it, you have the money. You post billion dollar earnings each quarter. It seems Epcot is nothing but a sponsorship campaign. From Norway, and beyond . What's next? Chevy pulls out and they take away test track. Bad move on Disney . Enough with this sponsorship mess. Another sponsorship , Coca Cola, free to all areas of Disney. However prices out the roof for a soft drink. Yea, in case you didn't know, Disney receives all their soft drinks for FREE.Loved this attraction, and my kids always looked forward to it. Another one bites the dust.

In my experience a few years ago, Sum of all thrills was a real people-eater. We lined up for well over an hour so that two of our DKs could experience it. Its closing is going to have a negative knock-on effect on the rest of Epcot.

Epcot is looking more and more rudderless.

There is so much closed off in those buildings that I don't even bother wandering in and when I do I wonder if I'm suppose to be there. I haven't seem sum of all thrills be a draw for a long time and it was nothing wrong with this attraction, just the rest of the area so uninviting that you didn't bother to look for anything actually opened.

Any chance they will try and repurpose the robot arms to another attraction? I know they are a very low capacity, but I thought it was a great ride, and certainly worth moving to another location and giving actual Disney theming.

Sponsorship is OVER....they have to put the big pants on and start paying for Epcot.

Use the proceeds from you cupcake parties on the 365 day a year food and wine booths.

They have shown no desire to do so...thus even though rteetz HATES the idea, rethinking even having EPCOT Future World has to be in Disney's thoughts...no one should be surprised if Disney decides to change the whole concept of EPCOT in the next decade (thus, why they really are putting no money in the concept in this decade)...maybe not to the villainous world I proposed, but likely something that does not require major overhaul every 8-10 years to not look seriously outdated...

They have shown no desire to do so...thus even though rteetz HATES the idea, rethinking even having EPCOT Future World has to be in Disney's thoughts...no one should be surprised if Disney decides to change the whole concept of EPCOT in the next decade (thus, why they really are putting no money in the concept in this decade)...maybe not to the villainous world I proposed, but likely something that does not require major overhaul every 8-10 years to not look seriously outdated...
I just think that would cost them more money then they need to spend.

I just think that would cost them more money then they need to spend.

But after no money spent for 5-6 more years, Test Track and Spaceship Earth will likely need a major refurb, Ellen will be even more outdated than now, Seas will be considered cruelty to animals (only kinda joking), Imagination will still be a 1/2 empty shell, and nothing will be in Innoventions, etc - the Land might be the only place where no money needs spending...there is so much money it will need, it could be cheaper to demolish and start again that renovating, retrofitting, upgrading existing pavillions...heck, the whole pavillion concept may go by the wayside...

And sometimes, you need to spend money to make money. Spending $1B to just make EPCOT the 2001 World's Fair in 2020 might not return anything (and might lose money)...a $2B-$4B new concept could be a huge windfall...is it risky? Yes. But is it more risky to just becomes a park that slowly fades away rather than innovates to the times? Time will tell. But EPCOT can hold numbers as high or higher per day than Magic Kingdom...

That's a bummer. Just came back from our first trip and this was one of my DS9 and DH favorite ride. They went on it 3 times and couldn't stop talking about how awesome it was.

a $2B-$4B new concept could be a huge windfall...is it risky? Yes. But is it more risky to just becomes a park that slowly fades away rather than innovates to the times? Time will tell. But EPCOT can hold numbers as high or higher per day than Magic Kingdom...

I think that what you are describing, you will see down the road on Universal's new, huge tract of land. Disney has given up on the vision thing (when it comes to theme parks) and is only creative when it comes to squeezing and cost cutting. What you see going on right now at WDW are external impulses and money at work (Avatar), no brainers based on hit movies (Frozen, SW), minimal "throw something quick in there" and penny-pinched upgrades like Toy Story, hand-me-downs like Soarin', and a lot of placeholding if not downright neglect.

That pattern is pretty clear and pretty solidly entrenched. There was some initial excitement with the announcement of DHS plans that "now we're turning the corner" ... but since then the previous, disappointing trend has continued.

I find it interesting that this is not considered an "attraction" on the WDW website (I think that's because this is a sponsored thing?). I never ride Mission Space, so I don't think to find SOAT. What exactly is it? A simulator ride or something? May need to seek this out on our next trip. (And I have been to Epcot a handful of times over the past few years - have totally skipped this every time.)

With Disney redoing Norway into Frozenland, I wonder if this is a test into how they're going to go with Epcot in the future. The only "new" thing in Future World has been the Pixar Film Festival, and that doesn't use the theater to it's full capabilities- honestly, I was expecting something like Shrek 4D with the Pixar shorts. Instead, it's just retrod. Again. And they've taken over one side of Innoventions for a meet and greet, and if they take out Sums, I can easily see the other side being converted to another meet and greet. Honestly, please get rid of the sponsors and give me new attractions at this point. PUT "Future World" out of its misery because right now it's just sad.

I think that what you are describing, you will see down the road on Universal's new, huge tract of land. Disney has given up on the vision thing (when it comes to theme parks) and is only creative when it comes to squeezing and cost cutting. What you see going on right now at WDW are external impulses and money at work (Avatar), no brainers based on hit movies (Frozen, SW), minimal "throw something quick in there" and penny-pinched upgrades like Toy Story, hand-me-downs like Soarin', and a lot of placeholding if not downright neglect.

That pattern is pretty clear and pretty solidly entrenched. There was some initial excitement with the announcement of DHS plans that "now we're turning the corner" ... but since then the previous, disappointing trend has continued.

It's Disney now...but leadership in 2020 should be different...and their standing in Florida may be, too...so I'm holding out hope they'll either choose or be forced to do something more drastic...

And don't forget that the Wonders of Life pavilion - which used to house three attractions, an interactive fitness arcade and a snack counter - has lain essentially dormant for over a decade now.

I didn't mention that b/c it's already gone, but I should have...it was my old favorite pavilion...

What a sad commentary on the 'state of the the future' in EPCOT. So much wasted potential. I agree that Disney has lost it's vision, abandoning the future, to focus instead on movie themed trends that will attract crowds, and enable them to sell truckloads of related merchandise. EPCOT has so much wasted potential. Disney should think outside the box of corporate sponsored attractions, and collaborate with great educational institutions, such as the MIT lab where many amazing young inventors, and entrepreneurs are working on exciting projects. It would not take much to pump life back into those abandoned buildings, but it seems like Disney has thrown the towel in on the future.

And don't forget that the Wonders of Life pavilion - which used to house three attractions, an interactive fitness arcade and a snack counter - has lain essentially dormant for over a decade now.

A crime against the fans...nobody was ever charged

What a sad commentary on the 'state of the the future' in EPCOT. So much wasted potential. I agree that Disney has lost it's vision, abandoning the future, to focus instead on movie themed trends that will attract crowds, and enable them to sell truckloads of related merchandise. EPCOT has so much wasted potential. Disney should think outside the box of corporate sponsored attractions, and collaborate with great educational institutions, such as the MIT lab where many amazing young inventors, and entrepreneurs are working on exciting projects. It would not take much to pump life back into those abandoned buildings, but it seems like Disney has thrown the towel in on the future.

They need leadership that isn't a cheap suit from 80's sitcom land...

That's just cutting it to the bone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter