Summary: Touring The Baths (Tortola) on Your Own

Bump! I am trying to decide if I should drop our "Tour of Virgin Gorda" (TT23) and do it on my own...but can't decide. We go in October! I am less concerned about money and more concerned about crowds...if doing it on our own could avoid the big groups maybe it is worth it? Otherwise I will just keep what we have reserved.

Bump! I am trying to decide if I should drop our "Tour of Virgin Gorda" (TT23) and do it on my own...but can't decide. We go in October! I am less concerned about money and more concerned about crowds...if doing it on our own could avoid the big groups maybe it is worth it? Otherwise I will just keep what we have reserved.
We're going in December and I'm torn on the same thing. I would feel more comfortable doing the Disney tour of Virgin Gorda but I hate to get there and wish that we had more time. Please follow up when you get back and let me know how it worked out!

We have decided to go on our own using Speedy's ferry. I plan to get off the ship as soon as possible (so waking early and lining up before our 7:30 arrival time) and trying to hustle for the 7:45 ferry.

Wish us luck! I will report back after next week!

We have decided to go on our own using Speedy's ferry. I plan to get off the ship as soon as possible (so waking early and lining up before our 7:30 arrival time) and trying to hustle for the 7:45 ferry.

Wish us luck! I will report back after next week!

@ambula603 How did this go for you? We are trying to decide which ferry to shoot for. I'm thinking the 8:30 with Sensation Ferries might make our morning a little less stressful.

@ambula603 How did this go for you? We are trying to decide which ferry to shoot for. I'm thinking the 8:30 with Sensation Ferries might make our morning a little less stressful.
We went in Dec and 7:45am ferry worked for us. Be at the gangway at 7:25am, ready to go the moment they open. There were a couple other families there that did that too. Speedy's is on the left side of the dock and really does take 10 - 15 minutes of speed walking through parking lot, etc. It is a commuter ferry, so they don't wait too long. If one of your party is there, they might wait a minute or two for the rest to join. Getting there with the 7:45am ferry gives you about 1hr of quiet time in Bath amd Devils Bay, which is really nice. There is a bar that serves food at Lower Bath. Pay attention to the return ferry timing. There are a lot of buses going back to the dock, but you can only ride the one for the ferry (instead of prepaid tour) even though they all look the same. They know by the color of your armband. I recommend going on your own for this excursion. You might wait a little on the way back, but you save money and got some beautiful quiet beach for 1hr before the tour group comes.

We went in Dec and 7:45am ferry worked for us. Be at the gangway at 7:25am, ready to go the moment they open. There were a couple other families there that did that too. Speedy's is on the left side of the dock and really does take 10 - 15 minutes of speed walking through parking lot, etc. It is a commuter ferry, so they don't wait too long. If one of your party is there, they might wait a minute or two for the rest to join. Getting there with the 7:45am ferry gives you about 1hr of quiet time in Bath amd Devils Bay, which is really nice. There is a bar that serves food at Lower Bath. Pay attention to the return ferry timing. There are a lot of buses going back to the dock, but you can only ride the one for the ferry (instead of prepaid tour) even though they all look the same. They know by the color of your armband. I recommend going on your own for this excursion. You might wait a little on the way back, but you save money and got some beautiful quiet beach for 1hr before the tour group comes.

Good to know - thanks. Do you have to purchase a round trip ferry ticket? It would be nice to have the flexibility to choose when we want to return. Doing one way fares would be preferable I think.

Good to know - thanks. Do you have to purchase a round trip ferry ticket? It would be nice to have the flexibility to choose when we want to return. Doing one way fares would be preferable I think.
We purchased round trip, paid at the boat with credit card. Grab a brochure with the return times. There are only several, I believe 10:40 (enough time to make it through Bath but not linger at the beach because you need to board the bus at 10) and 1:30pm (I took this one and spent 2 hrs playing at the beach). There's 3pm ferry too I think. Actually, go to Speedys website, they list the times there. Have fun! We really like the excursion. The granite rocks look like the giants from Frozen 2.

I know this is an older thread and definitely details might have changed as it is from The Before Times, but what did y’all do with your stuff (towels, sunscreen, beach bag, and the like) whole climbing through the boulders? I’ve been there, but not since 2000, and I definitely do not remember.

Hey- I'm glad someone still found this thread useful (though obviously I can't speak to how it might be different now) :-). I remember we carried our stuff in a beach bag through the boulders. We didn't have to get more than knee-thigh deep in the water at any time, and the times that some of us wanted to do more swimming, we had one person in our family hold the bag.

Is the stop we take the boat from the ship “Roadtown”?

Attachments

• 10C8E605-0D11-4FED-A2DC-0B0AB7A7BF08.jpeg
    10C8E605-0D11-4FED-A2DC-0B0AB7A7BF08.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 15
Is the stop we take the boat from the ship “Roadtown”?
Yes, that's it. As someone else posted, there may be another option besides Speedy's, but Speedy's was what we took.

If you want to see a map, go to Google maps, and then enter "Tortola Pier Park to Road Town Ferry Terminal".

This thread is nostalgic for me!! I read about this experience for our Feb 2020 cruise which we cancelled for reasons other than covid, but then…COVID!
Now, we’re going on this same cruise in May 2022 but I can’t do the baths anymore because I have infant twins! Lol.
It was neat to see my old questions though! My times have changed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter