Summer 2020 Cruise - Alaska or Caribbean?

aflynn33

Earning My Ears
Hi -I bought an on board booking that expires in August. I planned on using it for the Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy this winter or spring, but my husband got a new job and won't get vacation until July 2020. We can still go on the Eastern Carribean, but will it be really hot? We could change to an Alaska cruise (and it's in our time zone).
Also there is a price drop in August for the Alaska cruise - does that mean the weather is not as good as July or does it mean that less families are cruising because of school starting? Thanks in advance for your help.

July in the Caribbean is unbearably hot. Some do not mind but we do not care for that type of weather.

The prices vary based on predicted and actual demand. The August Alaska cruise will be a bit less crowded because most people travel in June and July but the weather should be about the same as July.

A lot of the snow caps on mountains are gone by AUgust, and if you have thoughts of a helicopter ride to a glacier sled dog camp, odds are much higher for cancels on that by August due to conditions on the glacier.

I'd choose Alaska over Eastern Caribbean every time! We've gone 2nd week of August and last week of August. We did dog-sledding out of Skagway 2nd week and went to see bears successfully out of Ketchikan both cruises. We did have better weather during the 2nd week. The last week we had rain and it was so foggy that we never made it to the glaciers.

I'd pick Alaska--that was our first cruise, August 2016. Loved it! We had the typical Alaska weather of rain showers/drizzle, but we still had a great time! June/July is always the most expensive for DCL due to most schools being out by mid-June, and all of July. August has some schools starting back early. Late July/August is when the salmon run, so if you're doing a 'bear' excursion, you're more likely to see them then. (We were near some in the woods at Mendenhall Glacier...just saw some fur behind the trees from the trail we were on.)

I'm one who cannot handle tropics + summer heat. We are doing an Alaskan cruise this summer and I was excited to get flannels and sweaters for it!

We are saving the Caribbean cruise for December :cool2:

Something no one has mentioned is that Alaska does not get hurricanes but the Caribbean definitely does during the summer. Alaska is magical and special whereas many of the Caribbean islands have kind of the same feel.

I vote Alaskan!! We had an awesome cruise to Alaska 5 years ago in July. Yes, it was cold/chilly and at times windy and rainy but, I wouldn't change anything and I would go again for sure..Alaska is beautiful... go for it.

Something no one has mentioned is that Alaska does not get hurricanes but the Caribbean definitely does during the summer. Alaska is magical and special whereas many of the Caribbean islands have kind of the same feel.

They do not get hurricanes in the sense that the Caribbean does, but they definitely can get the effects of Pacific storms.

Thanks everyone! Alaska it is. We're looking at the August 10th or 17th sailings. I am looking at Oceanview cabins on Deck 2, so it looks like it will be about $500 more than a small verandah on the Fantasy, but I am not a fan of hot weather, so it'll be worth it. And you had me at bears!

How about Europe? I prefered my Europe cruise over Alaska and Carribean.
I plan on getting another on on board booking and looking seriously at the Baltic or Greek Island cruises. I just need more time to plan out everything. California to Europe is a long haul and we'd spend an extra week touring before or after the cruise.

I would vote Alaska too. I've been lucky enough to do it the past 2 Augusts and had the most amazing time. Both times we had freak weather with absolutely beautiful days where my jumper was thrown in my bag. One hike in Juneau I wish I'd worn shorts it was so glorious! That being said while sailing it did get a little chilly and I was frozen at front of the ship going down towards the glacier. We were super lucky to see Northern lights too! Amazing cruise!

Attachments

• 20190830_101624.jpg
    20190830_101624.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 3
I’m going to Alaska again with a friend this August. I’ve been in May and July and I look forward seeing Alaska in August! I hope you have a wonderful time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter