Summer shoe for 8 year old boy?

pigletto

DIS Veteran
We are going to Disney again in August. As you can imagine it's HOT. My ds did well with his Keens last year but has just about outgrown them. He has a good pair of running shoes but I am looking for something breathable that won't require him to wear socks. I'm not a fan of flip flops for him as he's a running/jumping/playing kind of guy and needs something a little sturdier.
So before I buy another pair of Keens I thought I'd ask and see what you guys use and if there is something as good but maybe even a little cheaper?

My 8 year old loves his crocs. He runs in them, rides his scooter, etc and never has any problems and they hold up really well.

Aside from those, we got a pair of stride rite shoes last year that looked similar to Keens and held up really well. I think we paid right around $25-$30 for them, so a bit cheaper than keens.

Check out the styles at www.6pm.com...we got some Stride Rite sling shots sandals that our son love. He wears a size 1 youth already and they breathe well.

If you live near a bass outlet, they have shoes similar to Keens and cheaper. They actually fit my DD better since the strap behind the heel has velcro.

We all like Tevas in the park, they are sturdy, comfortable and can get wet (and quickly dry), which is great for water rides, rain, splash pads, etc. They have several different styles now if you don't like the classic original (see Kids Hurricane). Try the Psyclone, Toachi or Omnium (which is more breathable water sneaker than sandal). :goodvibes

We all like Tevas in the park, they are sturdy, comfortable and can get wet (and quickly dry), which is great for water rides, rain, splash pads, etc. They have several different styles now if you don't like the classic original (see Kids Hurricane). Try the Psyclone, Toachi or Omnium (which is more breathable water sneaker than sandal). :goodvibes

I was just coming here to post my vote for Tevas.

had the Stride Rite "Angler" in a different size every year from 0-8. (They only run to a 3) He loved that shoe and now we've had all kinds of trouble finding something similar. I liked it 'cause it was a sandal but it stayed on and covered his toes as he's very rough and tumble and would have hurt himself in a more open type of shoe.

Thank you everyone! I think we will go with the Omnium. He really liked them. Now to watch for a sale:)
He's got big feet (size 4) so some that I liked just didn't come in his size. But the omnium do and they'll be good for a number of activities:)

If you live near a bass outlet, they have shoes similar to Keens and cheaper. They actually fit my DD better since the strap behind the heel has velcro.

I love those Bass sandals - DD had a pair. I also like their Heather flip flops - I went back and bought a pair in every color.

My boys both love their Keens. We won't buy anything else. Nordstrom has them on sale at the moment for $36.99 so not much more expensive than Crocs but way better.

I just saw that and ended up getting Keens afterall!
We've been happy with them, but they're way more expensive in Canada. I just had them shipped to a U.S. address and we'll pick them up next time we go to the U.S. to shop. It might cost us in duty, but it's still going to be cheaper than they are here:)

LOVE the Keens. Now it is the only thing the 2yo wears as well (along with his 6yo brother) AND mom ; )

I have had luck with good discounts at sierratradingpost.com. I didn't realize that Nordstrom's discounts them. Good to know. His non-sandal Keens I had to get there, and at full price ; (

My boys live their Keens too but man do they make their feet STINK!!!! I've tried just about everything and the smell comes back...any ideas?

My boys live their Keens too but man do they make their feet STINK!!!! I've tried just about everything and the smell comes back...any ideas?

We haven't had that problem yet but I am sure it's coming eventually. I've started to notice that ds smells a little funky after soccer practice this year. Sigh.. I want my sweet smelling baby back:rotfl:

Maybe foot powder? I think Dr. Scholls makes one that dh uses with sandals.

This year we ordered from seirra trading co. Love the sales on teva and columbia, the boys have teva and love them( so do I mind you!) they are comfortable and water resistant so they won't fall apart when they get wet. My DD's is a shoe like sandal and is also water resistant and comfortable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter