Summer Visit?

dtripli

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone,

Just wanting some opinions....With all the times we have visited Disney, we have never gone in the dead of summer (July/August). The closest to that was a second week in June trip which we thought was good. A lot of kids were not out of school yet and the parks were manageable. We did have some super hot days though...Anyway its been about 3 years since our last visit and I was hoping to take advantage of the summer promo to finally stay at a deluxe again...We were thinking end of July into early August. My question is for all you summer folks....are the crowds really crazy? is the heat bareable?.....Any suggestions or tips if we do go? Looking forward to hearing from you all!

We have gone a couple of times mid-to-late August and the crowds were lighter than I was expecting. The local schools start mid-august, so the crowds die down a bit because of that. I think the middle two weeks in August of this year might be decent. With SWGE opening the last week of August, I think it's going to get busy starting that week.

Happy planning!

We've been to the World in May, June, July, and August.
The heat doesn't seem to vary enough to make a difference during any of the Summer months.
We just stay hydrated and take breaks whenever necessary.
The worst crowds we've been in were the few years that we went over the Fourth Of July.

My question is for all you summer folks....are the crowds really crazy? is the heat bareable?.....Any suggestions or tips if we do go? Looking forward to hearing from you all!

To your first question, no. Haven't done August, but have done many June and July trips. There's no difference in crowds. Both are fairly light. The real difference is July is THE month for the 15s, so you'll need to deal with them.

Is the heat tolerable? Only you can answer that. It's about the same as it is in June. To us, it's not really a big deal at all and is quite easy to manage. There are very simple strategies to avoid it. For example, during the middle of the day when it's the hottest do only attractions and shows that are indoors or have full a/c. WDW has plenty of those. Do outdoor attractions such as Speedway, Astro Orbiter, PW, Indy, etc...during the morning or at night.

We have gone a couple of times mid-to-late August and the crowds were lighter than I was expecting. The local schools start mid-august, so the crowds die down a bit because of that. I think the middle two weeks in August of this year might be decent. With SWGE opening the last week of August, I think it's going to get busy starting that week.

Happy planning!
Thank You

We've been to the World in May, June, July, and August.
The heat doesn't seem to vary enough to make a difference during any of the Summer months.
We just stay hydrated and take breaks whenever necessary.
The worst crowds we've been in were the few years that we went over the Fourth Of July.
Thank You

We have done WDW in August multiple times and survived. The first time we went in August I was very worried about the temperatures as I do not do well with heat at all. Being from northeastern Canada, our summer days are usually around 75 to 78 degrees at most. Since my DH is a teacher, we were limited to summer to visit WDW. Yes, it is hot. Yes, it is humid. But it is very do-able. Go early. Stay hydrated. We personally do not take afternoon breaks as we find it to be too time consuming and a hassle to go back to the resort or rental. We go for rope drop and stay until around 2 or 3 pm taking advantage of air conditioned attractions in the middle of the day. Then we head back to the resort or rental to enjoy a nice relaxing evening with no need to return to the parks. We usually get extra park days to be able to have one or two days to just do evening attractions like fireworks, etc. You will be fine....go and have fun!

I like going in the summer, actually. The crowds are no worse in my experience than other times of the year. I have had trips in April, May, and June, and September where it was just as hot as July or August. A nice thing about summer is that it is ALWAYS warm enough to swim, and the pools are super warm so you can jump right in, even at night. It's nice to get back from the parks and go for a swim some nights before getting the kids to bed. Also, summer generally starts out sunny every day before the storms roll in later in the day, and they usually clear out by the time of nighttime entertainment. In other times of the year, you can get rainy days all day or days without any sun at all. To me being in Disney when it's too cold to swim takes away some of the fun. For me the only negative is the frequent storms, but with a poncho and a rain cover for the stroller, it's manageable.

:crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

We tried them once...in our opinion they only make things much worse. You're already sweaty and clammy. Spraying water onto your face only adds to it, especially because that cold water becomes warm/hot within seconds. Ugh.

We live by them...we sometimes put ice cubes in the water but also sometimes just use the fan portion.

To your first question, no. Haven't done August, but have done many June and July trips. There's no difference in crowds. Both are fairly light. The real difference is July is THE month for the 15s, so you'll need to deal with them.

Is the heat tolerable? Only you can answer that. It's about the same as it is in June. To us, it's not really a big deal at all and is quite easy to manage. There are very simple strategies to avoid it. For example, during the middle of the day when it's the hottest do only attractions and shows that are indoors or have full a/c. WDW has plenty of those. Do outdoor attractions such as Speedway, Astro Orbiter, PW, Indy, etc...during the morning or at night.
Thank You
We have done WDW in August multiple times and survived. The first time we went in August I was very worried about the temperatures as I do not do well with heat at all. Being from northeastern Canada, our summer days are usually around 75 to 78 degrees at most. Since my DH is a teacher, we were limited to summer to visit WDW. Yes, it is hot. Yes, it is humid. But it is very do-able. Go early. Stay hydrated. We personally do not take afternoon breaks as we find it to be too time consuming and a hassle to go back to the resort or rental. We go for rope drop and stay until around 2 or 3 pm taking advantage of air conditioned attractions in the middle of the day. Then we head back to the resort or rental to enjoy a nice relaxing evening with no need to return to the parks. We usually get extra park days to be able to have one or two days to just do evening attractions like fireworks, etc. You will be fine....go and have fun!
Thanks so much!

Thank you for all the input so far! I am more concerned with the crowds than the heat....maybe waiting till mid-August is a good idea.

Thank you for all the input so far! I am more concerned with the crowds than the heat....maybe waiting till mid-August is a good idea.

If crowds are the big concern, June and July are great. We've been there during one or both of those months from 2015-2018 and it's been fabulous. On the scale of WDW crowds, it's been quite light.

Just wondering, what are "the 15s"?

South American tour groups comprised of 15 year old girls. The groups normally range in size from 20-60+. They'll walk through the parks chanting quite loudly, sometimes walking arm in arm and just behaving as you'd expect a large pack of teenage girls to do. I think it's awesome that they get to go on such a trip, and individually I'm sure they're mostly very sweet girls (we've seen examples of it). However in a group they can be a bit annoying. Nothing to be "scared" of, just something to note. You don't want to be stuck in a long standby line with them. :D I've heard they trash the value resorts, but we stay offsite so I've never seen that side of it.

Ah, thanks. As I was trying to figure it out, I was guessing either (a) some kind of teen band or cheer event (so I wasn't too far off), or (b) some scary flying biting Florida insect that I had never heard about. Very happy that it was only the former! :)

Ah, thanks. As I was trying to figure it out, I was guessing either (a) some kind of teen band or cheer event (so I wasn't too far off), or (b) some scary flying biting Florida insect that I had never heard about. Very happy that it was only the former! :)

If you deal with them long enough, you may wish it was some flying biting Florida insect...at least WDW can spray for those. :D

I don't know for sure, but I'd guess their numbers dwarf those of the bands or cheer events. There are lots of them. In every park, including water parks.

Where are you from?

We visit from Georgia, so it's no big deal to us. Just bring a water bottle to refill. Ice water is free.
If you are from Minnesota, you may melt, lol.

The best time to go to WDW, in my opinion, is when you are free to do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter