Sun sensitivity

lauritagoddess

Doin' the Plush Rush
I posted recently about getting DAS for my son with HFA and anxiety. Separate from that, I’m starting medication for my autoimmune conditions that causes sun sensitivity. I’ve always been sensitive to the sun, my son too, and already planned on scrupulously using sun screen, wearing a hat, UPF protected clothes, etc. Normally I wouldn’t be that concerned, like with my son in pre-COVID day when we were able to manage his difficulties without specific assistance, and I assume in normal times I could just duck in a store or go in a theater, etc. But with less indoor spaces and with queues out in the sun, I’m just wondering how to make this work to have the least sun exposure. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I have PMLE - I literally *blister*, and then suffer flu-like symptoms for up to 3 weeks after direct sun exposure.

All of your ideas are great - the thing I would add is a lightweight parasol - that creates shade for you, and potentially your son as well. Or, a collapsible, folding travel umbrella could work also. Since there is currently COVID spacing in place, the additional bonus is that you don't have to worry about poking someone behind you accidentally with the umbrella!

I have PMLE - I literally *blister*, and then suffer flu-like symptoms for up to 3 weeks after direct sun exposure.

All of your ideas are great - the thing I would add is a lightweight parasol - that creates shade for you, and potentially your son as well. Or, a collapsible, folding travel umbrella could work also. Since there is currently COVID spacing in place, the additional bonus is that you don't have to worry about poking someone behind you accidentally with the umbrella!

I actually just ordered a travel umbrella. Do you honk a parasol would work better though? Thx.

Not sure what the COVID hours are at the parks, but I have to stay out of the sun (Melanoma, multiple times) and we go in August. During a non-pandemic August, we'd get to the parks at rope drop, stay a few hours, go back to the resort to nap, and then head out late afternoon to park closing. Not sure what is open now, but we used to go into Carousel of Progress, Philharmagic, Hall of Presidents, and other longer shows for a sun break if I needed it too.

I think you've got just about everything (and mamabunny's umbrella is a great idea too) that you can do listed in your OP. I don't think a DAS will help, as it doesn't give you a shaded place to rest nearby,

Do you honk a parasol would work better though? Thx.
I know it's a typo ... I'm just picturing...

Anyway. I just started a blood pressure pill that kicks my photosensitivity up to 11. I found out last week when my hands burned to blisters in about 45 minutes of mostly shady walking.

I did learn that even really hot days can be managed with full coverage. Sun protective long-clothes are usually of a fabric that holds a small amount of water well, like those cooling towels.

Both UV-Blocker ( https://uv-blocker.com/ ) and Coolibar ( https://www.coolibar.com/accessories/umbrellas.html ) make UPF 50+ UV blocking umbrellas that also have additional features that help reduce reflection under the umbrella too. They have a variety of sizes including travel and compact.

I have products from both and like both. For sun protection they are much better than normal umbrellas, which generally are not as protective. Keep in mind that for a crowded environment you are going to need a small/compact size and be very selective and mindful of its use, so check dimensions.

I have sun sensitive skin and am also allergic or sensitive to all chemical sunscreens and most brands of mineral sunblocks. This leaves me with limited options for sun protection.

For WDW/DCL trips, I rely primarily on high quality sun protective clothing [almost all of mine is from Coolibar, but there are other quality brands]. Long pants, long sleeves, gloves, wide brim hat, neck protection, socks, full cover shoes (ie no sandals). I wear a mask for medical reasons so that covers much of my face. I have a sun protective gaiter and lightweight scarf/shawl if needed. The little bit of non-covered skin gets good sensitive skin mineral sun block. Choosing the right designs and fabrics and using layers means I am actually pretty comfortable; Actually, my arms are MORE comfortable and cooler covered than they are with the sun hitting them directly.

For swimming and snorkeling, long sleeve sun protective rash guard (I have several, including one with a hood) and long sun protective swim tights go over top of a normal comfy one piece swim suit. I also have UPF 50+ swim socks and gloves and hoodie to use when needed.

For lounging on the lounger, I have a large sun protective sun shawl that covers me nicely almost like a blanket, and I also have been known to use some sun protective baby blankets clipped together and to the chairs/loungers to creatively make basically a tent [I did this on our last DCL cruise and camped out under my little tent for quite some time. I have no idea what the other cruisers thought AND DID NOT CARE as I was enjoying my time on the beach protected from the sun !!

SW

I actually just ordered a travel umbrella. Do you honk a parasol would work better though? Thx.

Don't mind me - I'm just an old Rabbit, so I have a favorite old 2 layer silk parasol from many years ago that I carry, that (along with all of my other protective measures) offers me a sufficiently safe type of shade. I store it on my ECV or wheelchair when not in use, with my cane.

But an umbrella can work as well - you are just trying to create that additional bit of "portable shade", right? Don't rely upon the umbrella to actively protect you; there's a crazy amount of UV rays that get bounced off of surfaces, so you will still need other forms of protection.

I have - in the past - used a portable, folding travel umbrella in situations where I either did not have the ability to bring along my parasol, or the foresight! And I have gone so far as to pop into a shop and buy a big ol' wide-brimmed hat when caught out unexpectedly as well (The itinerary did not say a thing about sightseeing...!). Who has a *fabulous* accidental collection of wide-brimmed hats from her travels? --->This girl!

But an umbrella can work as well - you are just trying to create that additional bit of "portable shade", right? Don't rely upon the umbrella to actively protect you; there's a crazy amount of UV rays that get bounced off of surfaces, so you will still need other forms of protection.

This. An umbrella alone [or, really, any "shade"] is limited in its ability to protect from UV, for a few reasons.

First off, most normal umbrellas let most UV pass through their fabric. They block some, but not much. Some are better than others, of course. There are purpose-built umbrellas designed to block UV. But a caveat, see below.

Even a purpose built umbrella or well made shade shelter or a solid object can only do so much. They can block the UV coming from above. But there is a LOT of UV being reflected off the ground and other surfaces and back up at you [I've seen some articles that suggest that about 1/3 of the UV we're exposed to is this reflected UV and it can be worse with certain surfaces -- think snow and water -- and so an umbrella won't protect you from that reflected UV.

(Note: this is where the underbrim on your sunhat or umbrella is important because a poorly designed one will contribute to the reflecting of UV while a well designed one will tend to absorb more or less of the UV that is reflected onto it and minimize reflecting it further; lots of things to think about when choosing products!!)

This is also important to keep in mind when you are e.g. lounging at the beach or pool even when you get a lounger under a nice huge beach umbrella. The shade provides some benefit, but it has its limits thanks to all that reflecting UV; plus, depending on how well made the umbrella is, it may or may not actually be that effective itself at blocking UV even if it provides shade from visible light.

SW

I’ve bought rashguards from Coolibar in the past, but not regular clothing. I’ve been looking at various items but have been a little leery because I’m plus sized and I’m not sure of the sizing. I think I’ll order a couple of items and see how they fit.

I’ve bought rashguards from Coolibar in the past, but not regular clothing. I’ve been looking at various items but have been a little leery because I’m plus sized and I’m not sure of the sizing. I think I’ll order a couple of items and see how they fit.

I've bought the regular clothing from Coolibar to wear in the parks and it works well - in a plus size. They also make lightweight coverups you could wear over a regular shirt (more like a light jacket). Something like this sun wrap: https://www.coolibar.com/women/plus-size/women-s-sun-wrap-upf-50-plus.html
I have one like this that I use a lot. That way you can take it off when you're inside if you're warm but their clothing is fairly breathable. They also make arm wraps and gloves if needed.

I've bought the regular clothing from Coolibar to wear in the parks and it works well - in a plus size. They also make lightweight coverups you could wear over a regular shirt (more like a light jacket). Something like this sun wrap: https://www.coolibar.com/women/plus-size/women-s-sun-wrap-upf-50-plus.html
I have one like this that I use a lot. That way you can take it off when you're inside if you're warm but their clothing is fairly breathable. They also make arm wraps and gloves if needed.

I also often go the route of a coverup over a normal shirt. It works really well and gives more versatility. And I can resuse the coverup over multiple days. Also, I can use a lightweight longsleeve coverup and it keeps me really comfy in the heat and is a barely noticed layer in the heat department.

Finally, I have only had to return/exchange a couple things with them due to size, otherwise their sizing I have found to be accurate to their sizing guide. Plus size in this house.

I have a Totes umbrella with 50 UPF. I recommend getting one. I bought it when I was taking methotrexate which makes you photosensitive. I already burn in the moonlight, so took added precautions when traveling in Florida. Columbia has UV protective clothing. I also use Blue Lizard sunscreen on recommendation from the dermatologist.

Both UV-Blocker ( https://uv-blocker.com/ ) and Coolibar ( https://www.coolibar.com/accessories/umbrellas.html ) make UPF 50+ UV blocking umbrellas that also have additional features that help reduce reflection under the umbrella too. They have a variety of sizes including travel and compact.

I LOVE my Coolibar umbrellas - I have the reflective silver ones. I'd say it is typically 10 degrees cooler under them on a hot day. I use them any time I'll be sitting out in the sun, and that is just because I have very fair skin. I'm bringing mine on our trip mostly for outdoor lines (and I guess potential rain...). But I saw on another thread that using an umbrella helps the people behind you stick to a safe distance away, also!

I posted recently about getting DAS for my son with HFA and anxiety. Separate from that, I’m starting medication for my autoimmune conditions that causes sun sensitivity. I’ve always been sensitive to the sun, my son too, and already planned on scrupulously using sun screen, wearing a hat, UPF protected clothes, etc. Normally I wouldn’t be that concerned, like with my son in pre-COVID day when we were able to manage his difficulties without specific assistance, and I assume in normal times I could just duck in a store or go in a theater, etc. But with less indoor spaces and with queues out in the sun, I’m just wondering how to make this work to have the least sun exposure. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
It sounds like you and I have the exact same concerns! Unfortunately, 2020 brought more than Covid into my life, and now I have to figure out how to make this work with all the pandemic procedures in place. I honestly don't know how this will be possible without fast passes, but I need to figure it out because I need to go to Disney lol. It sounds like I'm on the right path from what others have suggested because I've been stocking up on Coolibar clothing/swimwear since the fall! I am going to Disney for Memorial Day weekend which I think is before your trip so I would be happy to let you know how things go when I get back. It's going to be learning by doing, unfortunately, and I'm hoping I don't end up sick in the hotel room! Even if I don't feel very sick, I'm even concerned about the temperature screenings because my conditions can cause me to have fever...but hopefully it will stay below 100.4! Ugh...I hope this pandemic ends soon!

Funny story - the last time we visited, the whole family was wearing our sun hats all day while in the parks. We went to dinner one night at one of the resorts and, in the elevator with us, was a dermatologist who said that she was sitting behind us at It's Tough to Be a Bug at AK and how happy she was to see us protecting our skin!

I'll add that Sunday Afternoons is a place where I really like to get protective hats, and they have other sun protection items, as well (SPF masks!, sleeves, gloves).
Thanks for the tip! I'll have to check out their site! My mom actually asked me the other day how many hats I need, but I guess she doesn't understand that if I'm going to have to wear a hat all the time now, I want to have a good selection lol. I just hope that I can figure out a way to make Disney work for me because it's not just the sun that causes a problem for me now. I'm going to have to figure out something because a life without Disney just isn't an option for me :earsgirl: !

I'm all over this thread... Hope I'm not hijacking it - This is a subject I'm passionate about!

The only sunscreen that I can wear on my face without irritation is from Juice Beauty. It is expensive, so I use other brands for the rest, but I always have to have some of that in the summer. It comes plain or tinted. I like the tinted for outdoor summer adventures where it can substitute for foundation and reduces that zinc/white "glow" you can get with mineral sunblock.

I'm all over this thread... Hope I'm not hijacking it - This is a subject I'm passionate about!

The only sunscreen that I can wear on my face without irritation is from Juice Beauty. It is expensive, so I use other brands for the rest, but I always have to have some of that in the summer. It comes plain or tinted. I like the tinted for outdoor summer adventures where it can substitute for foundation and reduces that zinc/white "glow" you can get with mineral sunblock.

Lol, thanks for posting. I’m glad for any suggestions. I’ve never heard of Juice Beauty. I usually use Neutrogena because my skin doesn’t react to it. I have chronic hives that can get set off by anything, so I try to stick with what I know works and won’t give me a flare.

I bought a bunch of UPF 50 shirts, a few hats, and I just ordered sleeves too. I’m debating what to do about swimwear. I always wear rash guards anyway, and would wear swim shorts, but shorts doesn’t seem like enough coverage. And then I wonder if I should be out swimming anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter