sunscreen. expiration date.

S. C.

The mitten state
Not sure which board this question should go on.
Does sunscreen expire? I can't find an expiration date on any of the bottles that i have. We never use all of the sunscreen up. I buy a new bottle every year because i'm afraid the old one might not be good. so i have several bottles some almost full.

Yes, I believe sunscreen does expire... There should be expiry dates somewhere on the bottle. My dermatologist has always told me to buy a new bottle every season...

I agree! I was told the same from our dermatologist. It is my understanding that they are starting to put dates on the bottles now. I did see a few last summer with a date on the bottle.

...they DO expire! I know from experience during my trip to Disney last year... ouch! :eek: Since then, I have read on the boards that they usually expire within 1 year! So, don't trust any bottles without the dates - it can be a very painful vacation!;)

(woohoo! 500 posts!!! :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc )

Never use sunscreen if it's been open more than 6 mons. not only will it not screen the sun but it will cause a worse burn than if had used nothing at all.

Replace a bottle every 6 months? Gosh, we would spend a fortune if that was the case. I bought a bottle last summer and it is going with me in 13 days! Do check and see if there is an 800# for the company. Call it and ask them. They will probably ask you for codes. That is what mine did. My bottle of Ocean Potion is good until 4/04. Never had a problem with burning while using a bottle that is over 6 months old!

It seems that soem of you only plan on buying one bottle per season? We go through several bottles each season. You should use it liberally and re-apply every 1.5 to 2 hours. I am proud to say my kids have very light skin and have never had a sunburn!

I've heard one year to be the general rule to go by.

For those of you that mentioned going through it quickly, I used to use No-Ad brand, which was only about $5 for a HUGE bottle. The company doesnt advertise (thus the name), so they can have cheaper prices.

I never use it over a year old. I used some on my DS from the year before and he got burned. We have also found that the No-ad brand does not work so well for us. We stick to the better name brand types. This is one area we don't cut corners. We also avoid the color types that the kids love. They stain everything and did not come out of the carpet! We go though many bottles of suncreen every year. If a family is using just one bottle, perhaps they need to apply a little more a little more often for better protection.

jordan's mom

Yes, sunscreen does expire and offer almost no protection. My Mom who is very thrifty keeps bottles years as they do not go out in the sun much..She visited here one spring and got a terrible sunburn as she was using some old bottle of sunscreen she said she has probably five years or so...that is my Mom, but she no longer uses old cream and watches the dates on them...:rolleyes:

Also keep in mind if you let sunscreen sit in the sun it weakens the strength and will not stay good as long.

We usually throw out all sunscreen at the end of the season and just leave one bottle. That way I know that what I have is going to be effective when we go on our next trip.

Even though I know it is expensive, I am usually overly cautious about what the kids are wearing. In the beginning of the season I will buy a big bottle and if I need more I usually buy smaller bottles so I do not feel like I wasted alot if I need to throw them out.

Denise

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter